ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

It's on the tip of my tongue but....

It's on the tip of my tongue but... I Can't think of the name of the National sign manufacturer that used these retainers in 95% of their cabinets, and the cabinet that this came from has been repainted several times and there is no label on the side, No UL label that I could look them up either.

Do any of you know of any companies that still use this or have access to is? It is a two piece inset retainer, with the radius is part of the straight pieces, no welds or kerfs, I can put something on the router and get something close but I would like to use the original.

20180726_075252.jpg

20180726_075256.jpg

20180726_075301.jpg

20180726_075304.jpg

20180726_075309.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like a retainer off of a Phillips 66 sign.  I don't have any of those signs left in the boneyard, but I'll bet if you could find out who was making the 66 signs, they could give you a good clue.

Good luck with it.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:41 AM, bonehead said:

This looks like a retainer off of a Phillips 66 sign.  I don't have any of those signs left in the boneyard, but I'll bet if you could find out who was making the 66 signs, they could give you a good clue.

Good luck with it.

It is an old Phillips 66 Sign, I have checked with most of the suppliers that I could think of that have done the 66 stations, none of them want to help with finding any solution to the problem, they just want to sell my customer a new cabinet. I get it... but.

If memory serves me correctly it was probably made by Tex Lite, a Dallas manufacture of good size in the sixties and seventies. I represented them in the Southern states during the early 70's and do recall seeing some of those sign on the production line then. They are long gone after MILT STEVANS  died and most of their assets were purchased by Wayne Heath or Zimmerman Signs which were both centered in Dallas at that time. Good luck, but a new cabinet would better meet today's codes.  Eddie Larsen

Eddie, I have a question.  You say that a new cabinet would better meet today's codes.  Would you mind expanding on why?  I was of the opinion that these signs were pretty well made, and produced to meet  codes in any jurisdiction, since they were shipped to almost everywhere.  Specifically what codes have changed that would make these signs non-compliant?

Thanks

It looks like an extrusion that was used by a company out of Shelbyville, TN. They are long gone now. Kolux I believe or something like that. they made a lot of gas station signs. I still have some equipment of there's that I bought in their closing sale in 1990. Including the form press that could have formed the radius on that retainer you have. I doubt you will ever match that extrusion unless you find an old sign that has it on it. Most of those extrusions were made just for that company and they owned the molds.

I misunderstood just what you were asking for. I thought you wanted the whole sign cabinet, not just the retainer for the faces.  Most of the bigger companies have the equipment to bend that simple radius. Is it a 6" - 7" 8" (' or 12 " radius? Acken Signs in Bluefield, West Virginia had a lot of radius's dies for the old Shoney's signs, Everbrite in Milwaukee made a lot of Exxon radius Cornered sign cabinets and even SIgncrafters in Evansville, Indiana made a lot of radius corners. Dualite Signs in Cincinnati, Ohio has also done many chain store clients as well. You also might try ABC Extrusions in Fort Collins, CO or Carters-Waters in Kansas City to see if they still bend their extrusions. Both Kolux and Watco signs in Shelbyville, TN are long gone. Its a tough business and getting tougher! I've been in it since 1965 and been with several large manufacturing sign companies. Good luck! If I can be of further assistance just call on me. Send me the actual radius drawing, we have a pretty large quantity of graveyard sign and we just might have that one too.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:55 PM, ELarsen1 said:

I misunderstood just what you were asking for. I thought you wanted the whole sign cabinet, not just the retainer for the faces.  Most of the bigger companies have the equipment to bend that simple radius. Is it a 6" - 7" 8" (' or 12 " radius? Acken Signs in Bluefield, West Virginia had a lot of radius's dies for the old Shoney's signs, Everbrite in Milwaukee made a lot of Exxon radius Cornered sign cabinets and even SIgncrafters in Evansville, Indiana made a lot of radius corners. Dualite Signs in Cincinnati, Ohio has also done many chain store clients as well. You also might try ABC Extrusions in Fort Collins, CO or Carters-Waters in Kansas City to see if they still bend their extrusions. Both Kolux and Watco signs in Shelbyville, TN are long gone. Its a tough business and getting tougher! I've been in it since 1965 and been with several large manufacturing sign companies. Good luck! If I can be of further assistance just call on me. Send me the actual radius drawing, we have a pretty large quantity of graveyard sign and we just might have that one too.

Eddie, Thanks for the correction! It was Watco where I bought some of their old equipment. Kolux was out of Kokomo, IN. and had the Shell account I believe. As you said, it's been a long time. The old CEO from Kolux went down to Jasper county in Illinois shortly after they went out of business and talked the county into backing him in setting up a production sign company. They were going to make all signs for Pepsi. Needless to say 6 months later I went to their auction and remember buying 150 brand new ballasts for 2.00 ea. as well as a brand new spray booth and a few other items.It is indeed a tough business. Dave