ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Pattern use in Winter

plyda

• Board Patron

Hi ALL!

Hope everyone had a great Holiday Season!!

Question for the install crowd.  Wondering if anyone has a good solution for hanging patterns on Masonry (stone or brick) and/or EIFS in weather below 40 degrees.  We have tried several different tapes and such over the years but have not found a good solution as of yet.

Thanks in advance. 

• Board Patron

For eifs I usually use the extra wide gorilla tape.   It's about $15/roll around here but worth every cent.   For those times that even what won't stick, a friend showed me a neat technique (Thanks Ken).   Run a line of duct tape (cheap stuff ok) around the perimeter of the pattern.   Then use a staple gun and attach the pattern to the wall with staples, making sure to land them on the tape.   The tape strengthens the pattern and also makes removing the staples almost effortless.   Of course there are always a few staples that want to stay in their new home so use SS staples.   I find one of those reverse handled staplers work better for me, though I've always thought of using a hammer stapler like they use to put up tyvek house wrap. 

When I do just go with tape I tap the tape onto the wall (eifs or masonry) with the tape roll to get it to stick in the nooks and crannies better.   My friend uses a rubber mallet. 

For masonry, if I have a really hard time, I put a few tapcons into the pattern (again through tape), making sure to be inside the letters.   Occasionally we have trouble with painted walls and screw those patterns up as well.   I know of one local company that often spray glues patterns onto that corrugated rolled cardboard and attach the pattern to the wall with anchors.   That way their signs go up rain or shine.   I'm not that hardcore.   

• Board Patron

Thanks Rocco!  I like the idea of the tape to make a hem and then staples.  We have done the cardboard trick with tapcons as well. 

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Spray glue your patterns onto Coroplast  and drill tap cons right thru it where the letters are.  Make sure sure that your letters will cover your drilled out holes
No tape or worries about the pattern moving or ripping.
Coroplast is waterproof and a solid light weight  material. Use it over and over until you can use it anymore

• Like 1

• Board Patron

dont waste your time with tape and paper patterns. Tape your pattern to coroplast or spray glue. Also you can make them on your router. put a sharpie in the spindle and draw the pattern on the coro and use a cutting bit to cut the pattern out and key it into the next panel and drill the holes through the coro.

• Board Patron

Thanks!  Did not think of the reuse part regarding coro.  Love the idea!  What spray adhesive have you found to work best?  What speed do you run the spindle at.... Assuming very slow. ?

After having an installation company for 40 yrs. (now retired, don't miss winter) We used lots and a good quality duct tape, where the mounting holes were in the letters on the pattern we used lags, screws  etc with fender washers.  If windy on dri-vit (foam with a concrete coating) we would use two different drills and quickly mark the mounting holes with a small bit and the electrical with the large. Remove the pattern and then finish drilling the wall. We have used the coro-plast method many times, We would buy coro-plast when it was on sale or buy defective sheets from our supplier. Thin masonite works well too and can be used for multiple installs of the same sign as long as it was cut from the same files on the computer.

In wind a paper pattern alone, not a good idea, but if any rips or large holeS occur they must be taped up right away, nothing worse as too lose your pattern before your job is finished.

In the past have used the carbon paper from the neon bending days and traced my letters and mounting holes onto the coro-plast, useful on wet days.

Gorilla Tape works on ANYTHING.  Super aggressive adhesive.  Another trick is to use a fender washer and screw the pattern right through a few of the mounting holes you're going to use anyway to hold the pattern. 

It's a little tricky,  but also using a hot melt glue gun on brick works well and the glue will just peel of the brick when done.  Do a test run on this method BEFORE trying on the job site.  I wouldn't use this on EFIS.

Hope this helps.  When all else fails use a big booger!

IMG_4262.jpg

• Board Patron

Thanks ALL!  Some great ideas.  

BTW we use a lot of Gorilla tape.  It works great as long as the temp is higher than 35 degrees.

• 1 month later...

We use gorilla tape too. If it’s cold we leave the roll on the dashboard defrost vent and blast the heat to it. Once it’s good and hot it’s super sticky. But for rain and extra cold temps coroplast and fasteners with fender washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Board Patron

We Normally send out all of our letters with paper patterns. We have had customers ask for various rigid patterns (coroplast and foamcore) .  Does anyone ask for them to bedone in tyvek?  Thinking about adding that as a option.