ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

DEADLY GAMBLE

• !llumenati

There are not enough words to describe this total stupidity and lack of common sense here.

Approximately 40 ft above ground

I wonder if he wins the Coffin or the paycheck on this one ?

Resized_20190314_102857.thumb.jpeg.4dc6fec190ee9aff384b983527d1ff45.jpeg 

• Board Patron

OMG!!  Where do you start.... Ladder in Bucket, Aluminum Ladder working on electric sign, and to top it off ladder is propped against DOOR of bucket!

At least he has a harness on ? but it almost looks like it is not attached...

GIT 'ER DONE!

• Board Patron

"They're just doing the jobs, Americans wont...."   I see crap like this, all over TX.   Low bid wins once again!   I seriously doubt this fool works for a licensed company.    This is the guy who worked at a sign biz for 12 months, bought a used 33' bucket truck, and now is a Sign god.

• Like 1

• Board Patron

sometimes you just have to let the competition weed themselves out

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron
15 hours ago, alltex said:

This is the guy who worked at a sign biz for 12 months, bought a used 33' bucket truck, and now is a Sign god.

haha this is exactly right

• Board Patron
15 hours ago, alltex said:

"They're just doing the jobs, Americans wont...."   I see crap like this, all over TX.   Low bid wins once again!   I seriously doubt this fool works for a licensed company.    This is the guy who worked at a sign biz for 12 months, bought a used 33' bucket truck, and now is a Sign god.

This is the perfect illustration of why this business is in the shape that its in

• Like 1

• Board Patron
7 hours ago, UFB Fabrication said:

This is the perfect illustration of why this business is in the shape that its in

You are exactly right.  The rest of us have to fight this stereotype every day.  Pathetic!  Pisses me off.

• Like 1

• Board Patron
15 minutes ago, Sign Lady said:

You are exactly right.  The rest of us have to fight this stereotype every day.  Pathetic!  Pisses me off.

As a wholesaler we here it almost every day.....So and so used to sell it to us for.....   Yes and thats why they are out of business.  I am so glad I dont do retail work as the asshole customers will drop you for 20 bucks  for the bucket truck guy above. I wish he would have just been another lawn mowing company.  In a few months he will be gone and a real shop will have to go back a fix his fix.  

• Like 2

• Board Patron

Thats because a “service coordinations company” called and said we will give you 300 shinny bucks NTE

• Haha 1

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron
13 hours ago, signery said:

it's a shame that Michaels would allow this, someone should send it to corporate

My thought was also to bring it to corporate but what assumption would I be making in doing so? Should it be on company letterhead? Should it be a personal letter written off hours? Should the gentlemen in the photo be approached about why working like that isn't such a good idea? As far as life and limb is concerned, should the subject of the photograph be approached? As far as protecting our industry does the USSC or ISA get involved?

I guess it would be a matter of picking the intent and going from there.

Couldn’t agree more with the statements above. Low bids are a breeding ground for this type of dangerous work environment. I will bet a national service company has this account and this guy cut out the local sign company that he worked for, see it all the time. Probably a no name truck.

17 hours ago, Sign Lady said:

• Board Patron
2 minutes ago, edward@butlersignco.com said:

My thought was also to bring it to corporate but what assumption would I be making in doing so? Should it be on company letterhead? Should it be a personal letter written off hours? Should the gentlemen in the photo be approached about why working like that isn't such a good idea? As far as life and limb is concerned, should the subject of the photograph be approached? As far as protecting our industry does the USSC or ISA get involved?

I guess it would be a matter of picking the intent and going from there.

So here is where I stand on this.  I have to follow all City, County, State and Federal laws.  I pay for workers comp and liability Ins. I pay Sales, Realestate, Corporate, Personal Property, Sales, Fuel, Utility and Other taxes. I am under the thumb of UL, OSHA, EPA, MODNR, DOT, IFTA and bunches of state and local regulatory agencies. We also have Business licenses, State Registration and other fees to "allow" us to be able to do business. We are also at the threshold of going over 50 employees which ads another layer of costs and Bureaucracy.  We have all kinds of internal safety programs, HR stuff and on and on and on.  

The sign business as a whole IMHO is in 4 groups :   1 The Big boys with a bunch of National work and hundreds on employees. 2 Medium size companies that have all the responsibilities of Group 1.  3  small shops who really struggle to meet all the requirements to be legit. Lastly Group 4 These are folks who skirt every rule and regulation they can. They  are plain and simple HACKS. The have no business doing what they do. They cost everyone else more in everything that legit companies do correctly, yet still compete at the bottom keeping a great percentage of the retail jobs bid to cheap.  I feel the Sign associations need to step up pushing local code enforcement and others to either make these folks play by the rules or go away.  The sign game is a serious business. With public safety concerns and the skills and talent to design, build and install a decent product.  Nobody like a RAT and wants to turn someone in to OSHA, EPA or the local AHJ, but the Rat is stealing your cheese by allowing him in your yard.

• Board Patron
1 hour ago, UFB Fabrication said:

So here is where I stand on this.  I have to follow all City, County, State and Federal laws.  I pay for workers comp and liability Ins. I pay Sales, Realestate, Corporate, Personal Property, Sales, Fuel, Utility and Other taxes. I am under the thumb of UL, OSHA, EPA, MODNR, DOT, IFTA and bunches of state and local regulatory agencies. We also have Business licenses, State Registration and other fees to "allow" us to be able to do business. We are also at the threshold of going over 50 employees which ads another layer of costs and Bureaucracy.  We have all kinds of internal safety programs, HR stuff and on and on and on.  

The sign business as a whole IMHO is in 4 groups :   1 The Big boys with a bunch of National work and hundreds on employees. 2 Medium size companies that have all the responsibilities of Group 1.  3  small shops who really struggle to meet all the requirements to be legit. Lastly Group 4 These are folks who skirt every rule and regulation they can. They  are plain and simple HACKS. The have no business doing what they do. They cost everyone else more in everything that legit companies do correctly, yet still compete at the bottom keeping a great percentage of the retail jobs bid to cheap.  I feel the Sign associations need to step up pushing local code enforcement and others to either make these folks play by the rules or go away.  The sign game is a serious business. With public safety concerns and the skills and talent to design, build and install a decent product.  Nobody like a RAT and wants to turn someone in to OSHA, EPA or the local AHJ, but the Rat is stealing your cheese by allowing him in your yard.

Could not have said it better!  Unless and until those of us doing it right take a stand against the "hacks" I feel like we are complicit in what is happening to our industry that most of us love and work hard every, single day to protect.  Also, unless and until we start to take a stand against these low ball NTEs being sent to all of us, we are going to continue to get the same results shown in that picture.  You can't even drive your truck out of the yard for the $150 NTEs I have seen coming through here - or even $200/$300 ones when you come down to it.  Not unless it is down the street from your shop.  With all of the insurances, licenses, fuel costs & labor costs by the time you are done if you accept a $300 NTE you make nothing when all is said and done.  You paid to have work done for THEIR customer to make THEM look good - most of the time without even a thank you from rude, pushy PMs.  If they low ball & sell to their customer something that they can't find one of us to do (and they wouldn't do themselves for that amount), then that's their problem.  They have to stop promising their customers something that they know is too low for what they want done.  If we all stand together, they will have to stop doing it.  Or if not, they will get what is in this photo and their customers will begin to revolt too.    

• Board Patron
21 hours ago, Signworksinc said:

Thats because a “service coordinations company” called and said we will give you 300 shinny bucks NTE

"We have a service opportunity in your area for 1 man in a bucket truck our NTE is 275"  does that sound familar?

• Board Patron

Hate to say it guys but thinking like you are a snitch or rat is why these assholes are taking your work.  Enforcement starts with the ligit sign companies.  If you don't call it in because you're a p_____, that is why they are everywhere.  Cities are not set up to bust balls because there isn't a budget for it.  Code compliance for example just needs a complaint filed and they will be happy to investigate.  Morons that install signs without permits look next door to see what the criteria is and then proceed to do it wrong because they are just copying the other illegal.  Stores would pay a dogcatcher to fix their sign if he was cheap enough.

• Like 1

Curious with the photo, will an extension ladder do that? He will not get very far out of the bucket and up the ladder. But they win the prize for stupidity. Have found that once these guys are caught by OSHA or in my country the MOL. They crack down on all of us

• Board Patron
13 hours ago, wizzy00 said:

Curious with the photo, will an extension ladder do that? He will not get very far out of the bucket and up the ladder. But they win the prize for stupidity. Have found that once these guys are caught by OSHA or in my country the MOL. They crack down on all of us

you cant have your feet off the bottom of the bucket/basket

• Board Patron
17 hours ago, Signsfast said:

"We have a service opportunity in your area for 1 man in a bucket truck our NTE is 275"  does that sound familar?

Yes, it does.  I always tell them I don't send just 1 man out on a bucket truck!  My WC insurance company won't allow it - and since I am paying their insurances for the job, I stick to that.  They have zero skin in the game and if somebody gets hurt, oh well - not their problem. 

• Board Patron
2 hours ago, Signsfast said:

you cant have your feet off the bottom of the bucket/basket

That's what sucks the most.  When OSHA catches one of these jackasses doing something so assanine, the rest of us pay for it because then OSHA puts a microscope up the rest of our backsides.  

• Like 1