ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

LED LIGHTING BY MORONS

• Board Patron

Now let's not be too hasty to pass judgement.   I mean, after all they DID use wire nuts to make the electrical connections.   And that electrical tape was probably UL listed as well.   The mold, well they intentionally must have made the drain holes smaller because those bulbs need the added warmth that only mold insulation can provide.   You just interrupted the molds natural growth cycle!   Mold is a natural, renewable resource whose manufacture has little or no carbon footprint.   Plus they decided to save landfill space by leaving the neon posts in place as well. 

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Oh that is so funny.  My wife heard me laughing and wondered why.  I showed her the pics.  She says who would do that?  Idiots! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board Patron

Holy Heavens!  Just when you think you have seen it all you come to the wonderful Sign Syndicate and see this.  Did a sign company actually do this??  I had a customer call me last year because his sign caught on fire.  The reason it caught on fire is because it was built out of 2 x 4s and press board with red vinyl holding the "face" on!  I think I may have posted a picture of it back then.  Can't find the picture right this minute.  Then there is this jewel they found a while back.  The customer just could not understand why there were so many dark spots in the2019-06-20_111055.thumb.jpg.ff1b7ee3b4344345e240cecc80a4062e.jpg faces.  It had never been like that before the last "service"!  LOL

• Board Patron
On 6/1/2019 at 7:28 PM, imanut said:

Oh that is so funny.  My wife heard me laughing and wondered why.  I showed her the pics.  She says who would do that?  Idiots! 

Gary;

I think you and the other posters are being way too harsh and just not showing appreciation of the Creativity of this repair and the one listed by my friend Angie.

These are the times we currently find ourselves navigating...........

Peace out

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

• Board Patron

Where do you start, First thing, those Fluorescent Pig Tail Bulb in the letters is just a treat to see, then the LED Light bulbs, that is just pure GENIUS, but the recycled Neon Letters, that is pure cheapness at it's finest. What the Hell has our industry come to, when this is what is becoming the norm and not the exception. Now looking back at these, I am truyly speechless and that is saying something, I am rarely speechless. 

• Haha 1

• Board Patron

To which ones are you referring to, the first picture of the channel letters that Paul posted are Compact Fluorescent bulbs that we have always called the Pig Tail bulbs because to the twist in them, otherwise I was being sarcastic in all my comments and the correction really wasn't warranted, unless you are advocating this type of lighting conversion to the rest of the discussion board. OR Blog in case I have misstated that fact too.

There I go again being sarcastic again, I will try and keep my dictionary and encyclopedia handy next time.

The second picture by Angie "The Sign Lady" was what I was referring to LED Bulbs in the sign cabinet. NO Sarcasm there.

thank you so much!! my prtner is having some bad lameness issues (old age is not for sissies...)     and this got (horrified!) bellylaughs out of both of us!!!     will show oujr apprentice , keeping straight face, and hope he sees the error of someones ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   oh - yeah - partner said he wondered if light looked spotty.....................!

• Board Patron

I just have to say - NOW I have seen it all.  Check this out!  You can't make this stuff up.  My guys found this yesterday!20190625_144731_resized.jpg.fd96a6f126cf659f7f719139dfe437cc.jpg

20190625_144711_resized.jpg

20190625_144726_resized.jpg

20190625_144729_resized.jpg

• Haha 1

• Board Patron

Sign Lady, what was the service call that assisted your guys in finding this.......crea...no..cheap solution to sign illumination? Would love to hear the real story. and did they choose to fix or just repair..we will wait intently for your response.

Wow Angie, you deserve some kind of award for posting those shots.  Not sure what, but

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

The face blew out!  Sign has been there a hundred years and never had a problem with the faces blowing out.  I kind of figure it may have something to do with the modules around where the faces fits in causing it not to be able to be put back in correctly after their "L.E.D. retro"??  Couldn't fit close enough to the sign because of the modules.  The customer PAID for L.E.D. LAMPS - or that is what he was told they were.  I have sent him photos of what he actually got and am awaiting his response as to what he wants to do.  Knowing this customer I feel sure he will want me to make it right.  I don't think he will want to leave this mess.  To add insult to injury, they used the extra cheap modules that won't last any time.  This customer got screwed all the way around on this deal.  He won't tell me how much he paid, but I know it likely wasn't cheap.  I feel bad for him, but that's what happens when you go with the "cheaper quote"!!  

• Board Patron

Angie, was this another Sign Companies handy work or was this a Licensed Electrician doing sign retros. We have a few locally doing this type of LED stuff too, and I have found mixed bag of nuts, some some of it is OK, but other stuff falls into this SHIT SHOW category as I call it.

This is a new sign we had to install faces for a Dollar Store, lot of work to just have LED's where a Stick Product would work and if you have a warranty issue you just take the stick out and insert a new one. In my opinion works better and less time out on the repair.

20181007_131204_resized.jpg

• Board Patron
31 minutes ago, jboles9134 said:

Angie, was this another Sign Companies handy work or was this a Licensed Electrician doing sign retros. We have a few locally doing this type of LED stuff too, and I have found mixed bag of nuts, some some of it is OK, but other stuff falls into this SHIT SHOW category as I call it.

This is a new sign we had to install faces for a Dollar Store, lot of work to just have LED's where a Stick Product would work and if you have a warranty issue you just take the stick out and insert a new one. In my opinion works better and less time out on the repair.

20181007_131204_resized.jpg

It was a sign company.  This same guy did a motel just down the street from this restaurant kind of like the picture of the dollar store you posted.  Except this jackass used .040 aluminum strips he cut by hand and attached modules to it.  When he got on site, he apparently figured out he cut the strips too short at his shop, so he cut short pieces to make the length he needed, drilled holes in each end and attached the short piece to the long piece with zip ties!!  The customer called us a couple of weeks later because he noticed his sign wasn't lighting up like it should - half of it was dark - so he wanted us to come "check out the work that had been done" - so when we got on site to check it out we found that the zip ties had failed and over half of the pieces along with the modules were laying in the bottom of the sign!!  The owner said he was going to make the guy come back and put in L.E.D. lamps like he paid for!  We haven't heard anything else from him, so I don't know what happened.  I thought I would give him a couple of weeks and check back with him to make sure he got it fixed.  It is a shame and disgrace that people are doing this kind of work.  Makes us all look bad.  Pisses me off!

• Like 1

• Board Patron

Yea, a real shame that is was a sign company, but I guess that faux pas is why he chose to just stick them to light bulbs....and everything else he could stick them to. The sample I shared is OK like I said, I just prefer the sticks, our new cabinets still have the raceways and sockets, you never know what we may have to deal with in the future, nothing with LED's stays the same for more than 3 months. 

• Board Patron

Here is a new cabinet showing the LED's along with the completed sign install. We even hid the LED's Power Supplies in the hinged end cap so service of power supplies does not require removing any faces.

20180623_113730_resized.jpg

20180630_103417_resized.jpg

20180623_115158_resized.jpg

Edited by jboles9134

• Board Patron
34 minutes ago, jboles9134 said:

Here is a new cabinet showing the LED's along with the completed sign install. We even hid the LED's Power Supplies in the hinged end cap so service of power supplies does not require removing any faces.

20180623_113730_resized.jpg

20180630_103417_resized.jpg

20180623_115158_resized.jpg

That's the way a job is supposed to look!  Nice work!