ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Looking for a newer chassis for my crane

• Board Patron

I am planning on having my sx57 skyhoist rebuilt and installed on a new(er) chassis. I am having a hard time finding unbiased opinions on which class 7 chassis is good and reliable. I realize that DEF systems destroyed the trucking undustry reliability when it was first implemented but not sure what its like nowadays. I want a 33kgvw chassis with about 275hp.  I am interested in hearing from people on what brand/models to look at and avoid. thanks!

Brands that I am looking at are 

Freightliner

International

HINO

KW

• !llumenati

Do you want to go Brand New ?  or a Used PRE Emissions or Used with the  DEF ?
Automatic with all the options ?

• Board Patron

No not brand new. But its near impossible  to find a pre emmisions truck with low mileage, I know you did  but thats rare.  I also dont want it to look like another 20 year old truck. something within the last 10 years with low mileage is ideal. so long as its not a POS

• !llumenati

That is quite a  request.
Small Volunteer Fire Depts is the answer to meet your requests.  They keep their trucks in top condition and are built with heavier chassis. 
Bigger Motors, Transmissions and Braking Systems 

I recently bought a 1995 International 4900.  DT 466   Allison Automatic, Loaded options,  New Tires all around. WITH  7,005. original miles. 
NO Emission Shit........AND  Clean as the day it was delivered  
They are out there, you need to find them 

International Trucks have not changed in appearance since 2003
Freightliner is similar

And there is always the dream truck.............International Lone Star in RED Colors

Aside from the specific brand of truck you choose, the engine is an important consideration.  Lots of medium duty chassis are available with various engine types.  One to avoid for sure is a Mercedes engine; secondly Caterpillar quit making truck engines.  Also on the Cats, it's nearly impossible to find information regarding how-to videos or diagrams for engine work.  My best experiences are with the International DT 466 engines; also Cummins diesels.

BTW, when I bought a brand new GMC with a Cat engine, the dealer is saying "This is a million-mile engine".   Browsing through the owner's manual, I discover that the factory recommends and an in-frame overhaul at 188,000 miles.  WTF?  

A sign guy shouldn't be expected to be a truck mechanic as well, but if you aren't somewhat knowledgable about your trucks you'll be at the mercy of the dealer's service department, and they have no mercy.   

• 3 weeks later...

we had a 2008 International with a Dura Crap engine, we nick named the truck Titanic, not if it goes down when it goes down. 2 engine rebuilds in 160k kilometres, (100, miles). found it tough to sell with the L60

The 33K kgvw is an excellent idea

• Board Patron

I am having the crane center completely rebuild a sx57 and he got me a former ryder truck. 2015 international with a cummins, alcoas, air ride susp, 33kgvw. new bed, new boxes ect.

• 3 months later...

Just saw Paul's reborn firetruck at the USSC show in Atlantic City.  Truly beautiful job on the remount and finishing! A great showpiece that should live on for many years of service.

20191122_133645.jpg

20191122_133656.jpg

20191122_133710.jpg

20191122_133718.jpg

• Thanks 1