ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Corn Cob Mogul Base LED Lamp’s

CTSIGN

Has anyone had experience with a reliable LED corn cob replacement for a 400w metal halide lamp?

we have installed many different products as LED retro for large sign cabinets and a few parking lots. So far most have been customer provided and not very reliabke. They put out decent brightness most are 80 - 120 w and 120 - 277volt. But within a year more than 10 - 15% seem to fail.

if you have had a good experience please share the product and supplier.

thank you!

John

• Board Patron

Look for a vendor that stands behind the product first, then research it and do not, I mean do not by online on Amazon or some crazy looking website. IF THEY ARE CHEAP, BUYER BEWARE.....THEY WILL FAIL FOR SURE.

We've had good luck so far with Keystone brand. We have them in several High rise pylons, the one that comes to mind first is a 125' with 12 - 400w LED 1000w MH equivalent. No problems yet and going on a year.

• Like 1

• Board Patron
8 minutes ago, tdewitt said:

We've had good luck so far with Keystone brand. We have them in several High rise pylons, the one that comes to mind first is a 125' with 12 - 400w LED 1000w MH equivalent. No problems yet and going on a year.

Did you have them mounted with the Corn Cob Up or to the side, in High Rise Signs we worry about the corn cob breaking from the base. I have seen this on occasion but the horizontal really worries me. I did have a conversation a while back with France and they were revising the LED Bright Units to support the Lamp better with an O Ring or something, should be out and on the market by now, they were in testing when I was talking to them.

The France Unit Looks just Like the Sign Bright Unit that was the standard HID light in High Rise signs for years.

Another note was the LED loosing in the socket due to sign shake or vibrations. They recommended tethering them to the base so that could not happen, not so sure if the O ring thing helped this also.

SignBright-GenII-Specifications.pdf

From what I hear, France Lighting Solutions has some VERY nice ones and they've been selling theirs for years now.  We know the name France

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not too late to be of some help.  I have done many parking lot retrofits, and used lots of different style LED products.  The one I find the easiest and most efficient is called a "Paddle Bulb"; I've attached an image.   I've installed a few hundred of these, and they seem to hold up well - this has become my "Go To" product for all shoebox retrofits, but only for replacing up to 400 watt lamps.  

Most shoebox type fixtures use a horizontally installed lamp.  A corn cob style will have LED's arrayed 360 degrees around the lamp, which means that quite a lot of the output is either reflected off the back, or straight out the sides - which amounts to considerable light loss.

The paddle style lamp has all of the LED's arranged flat, on the projecting surface of the lamp - so, you are able to use 100% of the output.  These just screw into the mogul lamp socket (after you have bypassed or removed the original ballast).    

Just do a google search for LED Paddle Bulbs.  I hope this is of some help, and good luck.

Bonehead

paddle bulb.jpg

Paddle bulb 2.jpg

Yes, the one shown in the bottom image is from Light Efficient Design, and this is the one I have used the most of.  I get them from 1000Bulbs.com, who by the way have excellent customer service, shipping and pricing.

Bonehead

• Thanks 1