ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Iconic Sign Fail - Ouch!

Erik Sine

Guessing it wasn't rigged right or someone forgot to torch something, but ouch.  Going to be a whoooole lot of work now to refurb that thing

Screenshot (8).png

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article240058378.html

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Man, that was pure luck that it didn't do more damage.  I would hope they were removing it for disposal. 

I have to figure it was improper rigging.  I notice that both straps came loose at exactly the same time, which is kind of odd.  If the guy who rigged it still has a job, hopefully he learned something from the experience.

I have to imagine that incidents of this nature is why we all pay high insurance premiums.

• Like 1

• !llumenati

The Pole structure was not cut all the way thru. 
Watch the crane boom snap back and forth like a fishing pole when the straps break.
There was extreme shock load on the boom 
Another example of .......Cranes are not designed to be used to break or snap steel

What if the crane was " Short Jacked " on the opposite side ?  I could have easily flipped.

The Bucket crew must have shit themselves. Nothing could be done but watch and wait for the show to end

This is a great training video of what to do and not to do.

In the end, thankfully everyone walked away safe with loaded pants 

• Like 1

Hard to tell if the strap broke or the eye bolt pulled through...I watched it over and over frame by frame full screen...The right side gave up first. Good thing is underware are $10 a pack and everyone walked away...

Graphic1.jpg

• Board Patron

WOW!  That could have been so much worse.  I will show this to my guys as a warning of what can happen when you don't do what you are supposed to do. I agree after watching it several times that the steel wasn't cut all the way through.  I don't think it was anything to do with the rigger or anything he/she may or may not have done - although I think the straps could have been a little more substantial for that size sign.  You can see when the crane goes to pick it up, it snaps back when the steel lets go.  The guy with the torch in his hand is a very lucky human being.  Another few inches and it takes him and his buddy out in that basket.  Scary, scary, scary.  I bet the owner of the place isn't too happy he has to "rebuild" that iconic sign!!  Not to mention what it did to his truck!

I watched in slow mo too.  I can see what looks like the right pole twisting and folding as the sign falls.  Doesn't look like it was cut all the way.  Then the boom snapping back

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Lifted hundreds of signs over my 44 yrs, hard to tell , what happened. I lean towards the lift points. What i did notice was the casual attitude afterwards. Sorry WTF, would be doing an incident/near miss report. Finding out what happened, to make sure it never happened again.