ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Non Disclosure Agreements

non-disclosure-agreement.jpg

Read this topic on a Social Media Platform.  We've discussed this in the past but it's been some time.

It reminded me about a fellow vendor who visits some large sign companies all around the US and how he had to fill out NDA's before he even stepped foot inside the front door or warehouse. 

It's also a another big reason why most of the topics, comments here on the SS are mostly made/done by Business Owners and less by Employees.  Admittedly sometimes I even get calls or emails from some of our members in panic telling me I need to go in and delete a truth or two otherwise the boss will "whack" them

146686-150239.jpg

I mean, sure it helps to protect business accounts, the supposed "Trade Secrets", keep relationships going that shouldn't be "exposed".  

It's not only done for employment, but also for vendors and suppliers.

Has common sense and decency gone out the door where there's too many loose lips and NDA's are a must for everything? 

What has your experience taught you about having or not having, the horror stories perhaps of NDA's?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

The only recent time I was asked to sign an NDA was for a company that was doing work for a huge international food chain.   The NDA required me to not solicit work directly for said customer for the particular item they were selling (digital menus in the drive thru lanes) so I had no issue that.  I don't make that and any big company wouldn't be interested in dealing with me because I couldn't deliver said product.  It had an expiration of two years, over by now.   

I've had other companies ask me to sign NDA's before even looking at their bid package, but declined those.   These asked me to not do work for their client even if I were approached by another company that had landed the account.   Sorry Charlie.

This thread reminded me of an episode from long ago.  Many many moon ago, I was asked by the local Coke bottling company to come in and give them a price on some neon signs.  It was for the Bicentennial.  Within fifteen minutes I was there.  Dang, I'm giving away my advanced age.   I was let into the office of one of the assistant managers who showed me some very detailed drawings and asked for a price for 500 window neon signs.  I told him I'd have to sit down and make a bunch of phone call because the amount then wanted was so big.  It would have entailed getting most the tube benders in the Phila area to drop what they were doing to get this done by their deadline.  A hard task for certain, but I wanted to try.  I asked for a copy of the plans and got the stink eye.  No, I couldn't have a set.  Can they make a copy of just the small scale drawing?   Again, the cold shoulder.  At most i was allowed to make a rough sketch of it to work from.    Needless to say, without a decent of plans I couldn't get anyone to give me costs on multiple units.  AFAIK, they never had the signs made, at least around Philly.  IIRC it was a cool design.  Oh well, they lost out on all that advertising because of being too scared of competition, possibly Pepsi.   However, no NDA was asked for.

• Board Patron

People are to quick to post to social media and frankly blab about it.  Without thinking of what negative impact it would have on the company.  A couple groups on FB post pics of all kinds of stuff and its amazing how quick people look in the background or even at the intended  photo and start pointing out osha violations or other hack work.  For example we staged a pick of a large sign that we had painted INSIDE the paint booth but could not get far enough away so  we opened the booth door and faked it. Only a few days later to have the fire marshal come by and said someone called to complain that we were illegally painting.   A month of so later we heard that a company was saying we were not painting in a climate controlled booth and did so against osha and epa guidelines.  We also do work for MANY nationals and folks who have us sign a NDA and fully understand the reason for it.