ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

ISA Show & The Travel Ban

image.jpg

Anyone know anyone flying out from one of the restricted travel areas and if it will make it hard for them to come to the this years ISA Expo which is about a month away?

I might possibly come down this year last minute but also wondering if the restrictions are going to significantly shrink the show.  From the sounds of it, it appears so. 

I've been talking to quite a few people in China the last couple of months.  The Chinese New Year pretty much shut the country down resulting  in late 3 to 4 week responses with government forced Holidays.    Then the virus hit and all those videos I'm sure  most have seen surfaced of police vans stopping at residential homes and forcing citizens into vans for quarantines. 

In back and forth correspondence with factory reps I was notified that the government sent them notices of forced factory shut downs, so communications and responses again have been delayed.  

Now those travel restriction areas have widened.  

Maybe I'll just sit this one out this year and plan a "Staycation"

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

I was thinking about this yesterday morning.  We have reservations already booked.  If I remember a ton of Chinese manufacturing companies are vendors and wonder if they will be uninvited or????

So, a little bird told me that it's rumored ISA is going to hold a vote on whether to continue with the show or not.  Guess travel plans are being canceled and turn out is expected to be low.  What a shame.

But apparently a lot of other large events are being canceled.  I have a friend in the Event/Planning Industry and their having to cancel a lot of large events all over the US.

Well if ISA gets canceled I'll feel a little better about most likely not being able to make it out this year. 

For sure next year though!  Who doesn't want to go to Vegas?  Hopefully they plan it around the NFL Draft again, that made the trip more fun

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

I guess I'm old and stuck in my ways.  I'm done with the trade shows.  With the interweb I can view more sign related products in an afternoon, than they can fit into 20 convention centers.  Granted I can't climb on the pic or test them through my monitor.  That's what the outside sales reps are for.  They bring their wares to my front door.

I did enjoy the parties, seeing old acquaintances, and meeting some new folks.  I've chosen to dump that cash establishing new customers, and maintaining our existing base as of late.

Y'all have a blast!

I'm an exhibitor ( Booth 3228).  SDS Automation. I served on the ISA Trade Show Advisory Board for 3 years through the end of 2019.  Regretting dropping off at the moment but some of those relationships are still coming in handy.

Supposedly registrations are up 17% compared to Orlando 2018.  Not that registering is a big commitment and people won't bail without thinking twice. 

I've heard that many exhibitors from China and South Korea have withdrawn from the show.  Would be nice to know concrete numbers.  I heard today that AgiLight has withdrawn as I'd imagine some other exhibitors have. Tomorrow I'm going to hit my network hard to get a better grasp of what's true and what's unsubstantiated rumor.

We elected to wait until the last possible moment to ship our booth structure, machinery, order carpet etc.  Ultimately, I have one week left to make a final decision. Once we ship all our crap, if the show gets canceled, we then have to pay to ship it back.  Plus it will be in Freeman's possession once it gets to its destination. As soon as Freeman touches our crates the meter starts running..... and running fast!

Money is obviously a huge factor in this decision for OCCC, ISA, and exhibitors alike.  Our booth footprint alone cost darn close to $60k.  Add on top of that shipping costs, material handling, staff salaries, travel expenses etc and SignExpo is a $200-$250k investment for our company.  I'm not sure how the contract between ISA and OCCC reads and who's on the hook for what.  Regarding ISA and its exhibitors I'd imagine if ISA elects to cancel, exhibitors might be entitled to a refund (full or partial).  Thst being said, it's probably a safe assumption that if the exhibitor withdraws they're probably SOL.

As an exhibitor this is a big decision and it involves huge dollar amounts in expenses and even more in potential lost exposure / sales.  Maybe I'll flip a coin to decide.......

Edited by ChannelBender1
Additional info

12 hours ago, ChannelBender1 said:

I'm an exhibitor ( Booth 3228).  SDS Automation. I served on the ISA Trade Show Advisory Board for 3 years through the end of 2019.  Regretting dropping off at the moment but some of those relationships are still coming in handy.

Supposedly registrations are up 17% compared to Orlando 2018.  Not that registering is a big commitment and people won't bail without thinking twice. 

I've heard that many exhibitors from China and South Korea have withdrawn from the show.  Would be nice to know concrete numbers.  I heard today that AgiLight has withdrawn as I'd imagine some other exhibitors have. Tomorrow I'm going to hit my network hard to get a better grasp of what's true and what's unsubstantiated rumor.

We elected to wait until the last possible moment to ship our booth structure, machinery, order carpet etc.  Ultimately, I have one week left to make a final decision. Once we ship all our crap, if the show gets canceled, we then have to pay to ship it back.  Plus it will be in Freeman's possession once it gets to its destination. As soon as Freeman touches our crates the meter starts running..... and running fast!

Money is obviously a huge factor in this decision for OCCC, ISA, and exhibitors alike.  Our booth footprint alone cost darn close to $60k.  Add on top of that shipping costs, material handling, staff salaries, travel expenses etc and SignExpo is a $200-$250k investment for our company.  I'm not sure how the contract between ISA and OCCC reads and who's on the hook for what.  Regarding ISA and its exhibitors I'd imagine if ISA elects to cancel, exhibitors might be entitled to a refund (full or partial).  Thst being said, it's probably a safe assumption that if the exhibitor withdraws they're probably SOL.

As an exhibitor this is a big decision and it involves huge dollar amounts in expenses and even more in potential lost exposure / sales.  Maybe I'll flip a coin to decide.......

Damn, you usually have one of the bigger floor spaces too. 

What a dilemma and unexpected wrench thrown in all this has been for everyone, who would ever have seen something like this coming?   

That's going to be some interesting talks between the ISA and the OC Convention.  I'm sure there is some sort of clause in there that begins with...."beyond our control" and a headache with lawyers all in it's own.  This is supposed to be the last year in Orlando, so that might be a factor of how aggressive to play.

The uncertainty in the air sucks.  I hope your losses are at the utmost minimal James.  

Put the logical choice on what to do on "heads". 

Let me know how it all shakes down.

All the best to you and everyone else stuck in all this.

• Board Patron

Update Email a couple minutes ago!!!!!!

Dear ISA Sign Expo 2020 Attendees,

The International Sign Association Board of Directors met yesterday to discuss options surrounding ISA Sign Expo 2020 given the current environment. One of ISA’s core missions is to create a platform for the sign, graphics and visual communication industry to gather and conduct business, and we have done this annually for 70+ years at the ISA Sign Expo.

Given the latest developments with COVID-19, the ISA Board and staff were not confident we could deliver the exceptional experience the industry deserves. In addition, many of you contacted ISA staff to share your concerns. ISA’s purpose is to listen and serve the industry. We heard you.

ISA Sign Expo 2020 will now occur Sunday, August 23 – Tuesday, August 25, with preconference sessions on Saturday, August 22. ISA Sign Expo will remain at the Orange County Convention Center.

The ISA Board believes that rescheduling ISA Sign Expo provides the most viable solution to bring the entire sign, graphics and visual communication industry together and to get business done.

As a Tradeshow-only attendee, your registration will be automatically transferred to the new dates and you will receive an updated confirmation closer to the show. We know you may have additional questions and we are currently working through all the logistical aspects that rescheduling the show will bring. We ask for your patience as we work through the many details. Please visit SignExpo.org/Expo2020 for updated information. Questions, please email Expo2020@Signs.org.

The ISA Board and Staff thank you for your support, and we look forward to seeing you at ISA Sign Expo 2020, August 23-25 in Orlando.

Best Regards,

ISA Board of Directors

Holy Hell, the humidity in August!  :crazy:

Well I guess something is better than nothing, and too into fall would be too close to next year's Vegas.  Hopefully 5 months is enough time to get the media scare/travel restrictions of Corona out of the way and it's more manageable.

Unfortunately for me I'll be on vacation that week.

13 minutes ago, ChannelBender1 said:

Hey man.  Be positive.  Its peak hurricane season.  That ain't so bad.?

KeK :crazy:

7b021711b01a361912185428fd52f2da.jpg

Should there be a Hurricane that week I already have a special name for it....TBA!

• Board Patron

No further worries...... apparently the ISA show has been postponed until August 2020 due to Covid-19 concerns.

Everyone stay safe and be vigilant.

Peace out

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

• Board Patron

I think I've gotten 20 emails from vendors today since the news dropped.  SMH...  Now their being the MSM for the ISA.  ?

• 2 months later...