ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

The MUST Have Sign Industry Books

Book Media  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a preference in format for books like these?

• I prefer physical Copies of books
    • I prefer to read books on my computer or tablet
    • I prefer both formats

Sign Desgin.JPG

We have had a many books in our Industry over the years.  Some good Engineering to Gallery Books.  What we have been lacking are some good "Technical" Sign Design Books

Sign Design Books.com is by far one of the most unique books in our Industry.

They have been more in the underground but I've known about them for sometime.

No book by any means is perfect, BUT...as a Business Owners stand point, this book series I would make every employee read.  From the installer, fabricator and sales force.  Once someone is hired, these books are handed to them.  It's a very well rounded book series that is updated regularity.... I would go so far as to say it's manual of "why" for our industry.

I would like SDB to write test material to go along with this series for mere employment reasons.

The other Books which I don't have hard copies of are 

How to Draw Attachment Details 

how-to-draw-attachment-details.jpg

and their NEWEST

How to Write Sign Specifications

tn.jpg

No matter what your position is in our Grand Trade / Industry, the more well rounded and knowledgeable you are, the more valuable you are.  The same goes for our employees.  

We have a lot of installers, fabricators, and sales that DON'T understand what the other departments are doing and "WHY".  

WHY Sign Design is SO much different than Graphic Design.  This series will break away the bad habits of the Graphic Designer and bring them closer to Sign Design.

These Books build strong bridges between departments,.

For your beginner Sign Designer staff, this book is an even BIGGER plus for them to start reading before  company training even starts, they'll have a big head start that may make training even that much easier

Go Visit them  http://signbusinessbooks.com/

Tell'em "Large Marge Sent Ya"

• Like 1

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

8 hours ago, Erik Sine said:

Sign Desgin.JPG

We have had a many books in our Industry over the years.  Some good Engineering to Gallery Books.  What we have been lacking are some good "Technical" Sign Design Books

Sign Design Books.com is by far one of the most unique books in our Industry.

They have been more in the underground but I've known about them for sometime.

No book by any means is perfect, BUT...as a Business Owners stand point, this book series I would make every employee read.  From the installer, fabricator and sales force.  Once someone is hired, these books are handed to them.  It's a very well rounded book series that is updated regularity.... I would go so far as to say it's manual of "why" for our industry.

I would like SDB to write test material to go along with this series for mere employment reasons.

The other Books which I don't have hard copies of are 

How to Draw Attachment Details 

how-to-draw-attachment-details.jpg

and their NEWEST

How to Write Sign Specifications

tn.jpg

No matter what your position is in our Grand Trade / Industry, the more well rounded and knowledgeable you are, the more valuable you are.  The same goes for our employees.  

We have a lot of installers, fabricators, and sales that DON'T understand what the other departments are doing and "WHY".  

WHY Sign Design is SO much different than Graphic Design.  This series will break away the bad habits of the Graphic Designer and bring them closer to Sign Design.

These Books build strong bridges between departments,.

For your beginner Sign Designer staff, this book is an even BIGGER plus for them to start reading before  company training even starts, they'll have a big head start that may make training even that much easier

Go Visit them  http://signbusinessbooks.com/

Tell'em "Large Marge Sent Ya"

Been in the sign biz for 20 plus and never heard of these books.....would have been great to train a new hire, a designer....a sales person......holy cow......was my head in a cloud or what?  Where have they been hiding?  Too late now, I'm just an observer ………...

27 minutes ago, kellymartin said:

Been in the sign biz for 20 plus and never heard of these books.....would have been great to train a new hire, a designer....a sales person......holy cow......was my head in a cloud or what?  Where have they been hiding?  Too late now, I'm just an observer ………...

As I read your comment I was thinking to myself "20 years" is a long time.  Then I did my own personal math of 2020 - 1993 =

I just sunk into my seat, I'll leave it at that.

But yes, most books in our industry are horrible.  Most Magazines or Sign Associations hijacked or bought out most of those writers.  Have some horrible strong arm stories, but that's for another time 

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

Another good book (out of print so you will have to search for a copy) is Sign Structures and Foundations "A guide for designers and estimators".   it was a Signs of the Times book and the author is Peter B Horsley.    The copyright date on mine is from 1984.   I did a quick google and there are some copies out there.   

It's a great book to help you to get basic footing, wind load, etc. calculations using basic math - no calculus required.   Way back when we road dinosaurs to work, I made a spreadsheet using it and have been using that to get me pretty darn close for freestanding signs for many moons.   Of course no engineer I've ever asked about my spreadsheet will even respond.   After all, I don't have that piece of paper and so can't possibly be able to do math.  ?

It also goes into lighting design but of course doesn't have any info on LED's. 

• Like 1