ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

CAO Group provides channel letter LEDs to Arena

Erik Sine

26 Apr 2007

The EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City has incorporated LED channel letter modules from CAO Group into its new signage.

cao.jpg

CAO Group has helped the EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah, to upgrade its exterior signage and promote its new name by installing Luxembright™ Channel Letter illumination.

The EnergySolutions Arena is the home of the Utah Jazz basketball team, and the most prominent venue in Salt Lake City for indoor sports events and entertainment.

The arena’s lighting engineers needed to feature the new corporate sponsorship and light up the skies for EnergySolutions, and chose the high intensity and uniform light beams of an LED light source as a low voltage upgrade from traditional neon and fluorescent lighting.

CAO Group, located nearby on West Jordan, Utah, supplied a product based on a 10-LED cluster design, with a pixel arrangement of customized LED lamps. The new system provides the Arena with long hours of operation with low power consumption, low maintenance, easy installation, high reliability, water resistance, and optimum heat management.

"It's an interesting coincidence that a company called EnergySolutions found an energy-efficient solution to putting its name in lights, and that it found [this solution] locally," says Densen Cao, the company's CEO.

The LuxemBright contains 10 LEDs per module (5 LEDs per pixel, 2 pixels per module). The standard version accommodates 3 modules per foot, ideal for large channel letters, such as those used by EnergySolutions Arena. The modules were easy to install with double-sided tape on back and screw holders on the side of the modules. The side mounting feature of the LuxemBright™ permits channel letters as thin as 2 inches deep, to illuminate letters with a stroke up to 18 inches wide.

With the CAO product, the arena’s sign builder, Impact Signs, used fewer linear feet per channel letter. According to Impact’s Utah-based owners, Bill Baker, Brian Baker and Kevin Anderson, this reduced the cost for parts, and let them complete the signage redo faster than would have been possible otherwise.

The EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City has incorporated LED channel letter modules from CAO Group into its new signage.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I hate to say it - but I wouldn't go near that product.

Looks like offshore junk, using the wrong LED type with poor heat dissipation, beam spread and wire length between modules.

• !llumenati
YYZ, I like your honesty son.....should have used 15 mm EGL 6500 White instead :weld:

Maybe Sean will send me a box for that plug.... :sml (29):

Should have said 15mm CL Designer 71 :sml (29): , thanks for the plug :thumbs::neon:

I saw them when I was at the Seattle show. They would'nt let me hook a meter up to it. We put one of our A's in Ventexs table which was rite next to it. Thier rep Bill took a picture with his phone.

Maybe John has it??

If I were to use a system I would use YYZ's. He demo'd it in Toronto for me.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

I hate to say it - but I wouldn't go near that product.

Looks like offshore junk, using the wrong LED type with poor heat dissipation, beam spread and wire length between modules.

How did ya like the bin sort on the white...ranges from 7k to 16K :laughing1: Thats a combo A/B sort, unbelievable. Dem letters are all going to be blue after the summer heat cooks em up a little bit. I just dont see a way to for heat dissipation either. This is going to be a service mans dream account.

How did ya like the bin sort on the white...ranges from 7k to 16K :laughing1: Thats a combo A/B sort, unbelievable. Dem letters are all going to be blue after the summer heat cooks em up a little bit. I just dont see a way to for heat dissipation either. This is going to be a service mans dream account.

5mm thru hole diodes (T1-3/4) just don't have the right properties for channel letter illumination, beyond the fact that they don't dissipate heat as well as surface mount diodes. We use a ton of them for our edgelighting products (wide range of narrower angles works better). I also highly doubt they're from Nichia (judging by angles, ranks), so there are likely patent issues with selling them in the US.

If I were to use a system I would use YYZ's. He demo'd it in Toronto for me.

Woah - was that just an endorsement? :eyebrow:

YYZ, I like your honesty son...

I've seen you call other people 'son' before too, and I have to say it doesn't come across well on the internet. Either you're making a joke about my mom, or you're being patronizing - neither of which are cool. I'm sure joemomma (who's probably older than you) didn't like it much either.

Edited by YYZ

I've seen you call other people 'son' before too, and I have to say it doesn't come across well on the internet. Either you're making a joke about my mom, or you're being patronizing - neither of which are cool. I'm sure joemomma (who's probably older than you) didn't like it much either.

I can't speak for him or his intent behind the keyboard but I have to say from experience usually nothing more than southern lingo. Some may hear or read it and think they are being belittled in some way but far from. I use to have a boss who grew up in Georgia and called everyone "son" whether they were his age younger or older. Though I have to give it an awkward eye at someone older, but then again I'm not from there and traditions and culture is a little different than other parts. I mean here people call each other "Dawg", or "Cat" or "Nigga", "Hootchie" "Ho" all may seem offensive if your not familiar with it or foreign too it you will find it that way.

The way I interpret, is "Son" = "Friend"

Anyway, back off to permit filing

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I can't speak for him or his intent behind the keyboard but I have to say from experience usually nothing more than southern lingo. Some may hear or read it and think they are being belittled in some way but far from. I use to have a boss who grew up in Georgia and called everyone "son" whether they were his age younger or older. Though I have to give it an awkward eye at someone older, but then again I'm not from there and traditions and culture is a little different than other parts. I mean here people call each other "Dawg", or "Cat" or "Nigga", "Hootchie" "Ho" all may seem offensive if your not familiar with it or foreign too it you will find it that way.

The way I interpret, is "Son" = "Friend"

Anyway, back off to permit filing

Well put boss.

5mm thru hole diodes (T1-3/4) just don't have the right properties for channel letter illumination, beyond the fact that they don't dissipate heat as well as surface mount diodes. We use a ton of them for our edgelighting products (wide range of narrower angles works better). I also highly doubt they're from Nichia (judging by angles, ranks), so there are likely patent issues with selling them in the US.

You cant tell what kind of coating is used and nothing on the specs at all, so I also wonder about the water issues. I didn't see any UL info or Mil Spec testing data. Yup to the nichi thing, i'm sure they will be hearing from our friends in Michigan now that they have put out publicity. Don't think they are soulsemis either?

No disrespect intended Marko. I will no longer refer to anyone as "son" as I can see that it is preceived as disrespect to some if not everyone not from Georgia. Please forgive me my friend. :thumbs:

• !llumenati
No disrespect intended Marko. I will no longer refer to anyone as "son" as I can see that it is preceived as disrespect to some if not everyone not from Georgia. Please forgive me my friend. :thumbs:

Geez--some of us outa be calling you "son"---------you're still a pip squeak!!! Heck, Joe's damn near old enough to be my dad, and you're darn near young enough to be my son.

gn

Canadian East Coasters (ie: Newfies, from Newfoundland) also use the term 'son' very often, but there a joke behind it, that the guy is implying he 'did your mom' and therefore calls you 'my son' in a high and mighty tone. If you were a Newfie I mighta shrugged it off, but I had no idea that it was that common in the south. I've been to Georgia many times and have never heard it in person - unless it's something you hear more in the small towns - since most of my time would have been in the Atlanta/Conyers areas.

signeye: I guarantee you its not Seoul Semi, Toyoda or anything else reputable either. Probably similar in grade to flashlight diodes (non Luxeon) made by HB-LED or someone similar. I occasionally buy diodes from Korea and Taiwan (with patent coverage) and have to say the quality is pretty good, but would never buy white emitters from China. Not yet, anyways. You out of the biz entirely, at this point?

Geez--some of us outa be calling you "son"---------you're still a pip squeak!!! Heck, Joe's damn near old enough to be my dad, and you're darn near young enough to be my son.

gn

Speak up, will ya Son?

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

signeye: I guarantee you its not Seoul Semi, Toyoda or anything else reputable either. Probably similar in grade to flashlight diodes (non Luxeon) made by HB-LED or someone similar. I occasionally buy diodes from Korea and Taiwan (with patent coverage) and have to say the quality is pretty good, but would never buy white emitters from China. Not yet, anyways. You out of the biz entirely, at this point?

I'll never be out...I have too many people calling me asking about the buisness but right now I am selling other products. There is no doubt it is not a high quality product. The platform speaks for itself. I think you and I are the only people here who know what to look for on a spec sheet or in the guts to really know what is up from down when it comes to white LEDs. I think this is mainland product, maybe aftermarket Korean. What the mainlanders dont want to realize is that labor is a huge issue in North America and Europe. Our countries are not markets where cheap products can be tossed out. Labor in Asia is dirt cheap, sometimes less than 10 cents an hour. Two guys on a bamboo truss can work all day and rip out miles of cheap product where here that just wont fly. It is no big deal for them to replace junk LEDs. This poor guy in Utah just doesnt get it but he will. If he has to deal with unions this will be replaced in 6 months for sure and Fishnut wins for sure, good for him. Then all the green people will walk away with thier faces RED!

• 5 years later...

We used CAO leds in our letters for years and never had to service or replace any of the leds. You should probably have your facts straight before you go bashing another company.

We used CAO leds in our letters for years and never had to service or replace any of the leds. You should probably have your facts straight before you go bashing another company.

Ummm......The OP posted this almost 6 yrs ago bro.