ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Undercover Boss & FastSigns

Anyone see this? I missed the episode and only heard about it from the usual social media outlet propagandists and would like to get opinions by those who happened to catch it on the boob tube . Would like to get honest feedback where we to cut through all the hype from all our industry marketers (Trade Magazines & Associations).

Can't find it anywhere on the internet "unlocked"

Did it do a small the small aspect of our trade justice, and represent it well? Or are we just going to hear how "Great" it was by people like the Broccoli eater?

******Found it (Edit)
http://www.cbs.com/s...-boss-fastsigns

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I've never watch Undercover Boss before so didn't know what to expect.

I was expecting more about Sign work, or behind the scenes, but it takes than an emotional roller coaster with individuals. It was interesting to see I suppose, one small aspect of the sign trade with non-illuminated stuff but I wanted to see more than the individuals the CEO met along the way, and their troubles. It was almost a little dark.

Don't get me wrong it was nice for her to help them out, I was just expecting more from all the marketing our media and leadership has made it out to be, or wrote about it.

"Going undercover allowed me to step into the shoes of our employees and franchise partners to better learn the ins and outs of what makes our company successful, as well as where there is room for improvement. We’re not just selling a commodity; we’re helping businesses solve their visual communication challenges. I specifically went undercover to learn what additional training and tools our employees need."

I didn't see too much of that other than the CEO of the franchise getting personal with the people she met, and BTW, their not her employees and the sign industry is not a "commidity", their her Franchisee's who are another business like Ram Signs in Phoenix Arizona (Scott) that DBA, or doing business as "Fast Signs".

To the outsider viewing this program, the Sign Industry can look interesting, this show gave them a peek. I'd like to see more excitement and industry inspiration next time, less of a "Oprah Winfrey" crying session. But again, I've never watched Undercover Boss and I don't know if that's the Purpose/Theme of the show.

Everyone else will have their opinion and view of this show but for me in viewing the show I saw this CEO ( Catherine Monson ) of FastSigns, as a little weak and not too confident, it also showed how out of touch some of these business people are with the industry/business they run (We also have other individuals like here who are in leadership positions of this industry so it's not too surprising) , and it put a little bit of a bad light on the industry, or gave it a dark light.

That's as far as the industry is concerned, but she's real compassionate towards others, but these are two different worlds.

Maybe they can do a part II with companies like YESCO, Blair, and a few others come to mind where they show the riggers of working on top of skyscrapers installing a sign where helicopters are used. The ideas can be endless, and to see a job from the salesmen to fabrication, to installation would be fascinating.

• Like 1

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

That is the way most all of the ones that I have seen have been. All about the emotional side and the upper management helping people who are down on their luck or struggling. Usually not to much about the industry.

• Board Patron

The Girl Jen is one of our FS customers. She is a nice person and made the St Louis FS look good. A couple of the sign segments I was saying WTF. Like laying Vinyl on a panel and shearing to fit. Buy those folks a tape measure. It was similar to other undercover bosses. Its disappointing to see the CEO of the so called "leader in the sign business" knows less than the average customer is embarrassing. BTW I feel for the letter installer guy who looked to be way underpaid and had to drive his beater to a jobsite. That looked bad, showing up at my car dealer to install that really looked unprofessional.

I like the show Shark tank

• Board Patron

Just talked with my contact at FS. He said they were pretty nice to work with and did it up nice taking a few days here and in Cali. Even flew the husband to Cali. I will have to ask if it was really undercover and if the $ came from the show or FS.

Just talked with my contact at FS. He said they were pretty nice to work with and did it up nice taking a few days here and in Cali. Even flew the husband to Cali. I will have to ask if it was really undercover and if the $ came from the show or FS.

You read my mind. I didn't want to suggest since I don't know but I didn't think FS HQ made enough to simply "Give away" money like that. Will be interesting to find out if you can find out, I thought/figured it would be the show though.

I was very disappointed that the CEO of FS had no idea about the actual Sign Business. The feeling I got from the show is it takes no experience to open a Sign Shop. Unfortunately, the Sign Industry allows these companies to exist, competeing against Professional Sign Companies, eroding margins and installing cheap products. We deal with several FS and they are ligimate Sign Companies and provide a quality product.

I agree, the show was a "reality show" focus on the people, not the business. i was disappointed with the presentation of the product and the knowledge of the business by FS's CEO.

Didn't see the episode, but it is pretty cookie cutter format. Not a lot of in-depth detail of each industry...it's all people stories. They seem to cherry pick (deserving) people to meet and then help out at the reveal.

Watched it..ehhhhhhhh..too much tissue and not enough issues.

I also like Real Houswives of Orange County in the Shark Tank.

• Like 1

• Board Patron

I watched it. My favorite part was when no one cried. And the part where Fastsigns needs to train their franchisers how to install signs (other than banners). They all seemed like nice people. Being in the same town as their headquarters. I know a few people who work for corporate Fastsigns. I heard through the grapevine, they weren't (employees) to happy about the money give away.

I did not see the show but yes, it is always the same theme.... I work for YESCO and I am always fascinated when I have toured the Las Vegas facility as well as hearing of the products that are being created within our electronics division as well. We recently installed new electronics in Piccadilly Square which is just cool to think our product is viewed in so many other countries....but I am kind of a sign nerd. haha

I am confident a company like YESCO could have its own show that would be fascinating to see the behind the scenes of a large sign manufacturing facility. I am constantly amazed at the things YESCO is capable of doing and the projects they take on. Never a dull moment, I know that!

• 10 months later...

I think I've seen one part of one episode of undercover boss, and yes, it's a kind of reality show that is touchy-feely and not too much about the actual business. It's no surprise to me that the CEO of FastSigns doesn't know anything about signs or the sign business! All these popele are there because of their bottom line mentality. They are there to get money for shareholders or big-time owners, plus the top executives.

One of my annoyances is that FastSigns is treated like a retail store by some of the regulators. At least in the past, I know that their worker's comp was much less expensive than ours, even though they were actually going out and doing all kinds of installation. At the time, I don't think they had much of a clue as to what they were doing. I know they don't have a clue about "my" main topic, ADA signs. They just order stuff, for the most part, and have no idea of what the requirements are or what they mean. But they have the power of their huge advertising budget, all culled from the individual franchisees.

I really don't understand why anyone who really wants to be in the sign business would choose to join something like FastSigns. However, I know there are some legitimate sign companies that are with FastSigns, and do have or acquire the expertise to actually be called "Sign Companies."

Sharon Toji

• 2 years later...
  • Board Patron

Well look at you way back in 2012 calling it on YESCO being featured!! Looking forward to seeing what this show will be about. Something for discussion here on Monday??

• Board Patron

I watch the show every now and then. When thinking about it I would actually be embarrassed to be that far disconnected to not know the problems a franchise site is having. I am not sure but the only person in a good light is the undercover boss .

Also, I'd have to do some digging. But I think this is the same lady that was pushing ISA to get the need of a unlicensed sign company exempt from state contractors license laws in states like Texas...well anywhere for that matter by just subbing a job out to someone who is. In every state that requires a contractors license defines that only a licensed contractor can subcontract.

This individual clearly just came off the street with a previous business model in mind and does not understand the current, or at the time. Kind of like the people who run our top sign associations, they were in the plastic business or vehicle power lift gate industry one day, the sign the next, some have even put time in our and on round three from Plastic, Sign, to Pool & Spa. Awesome!

Why ISA would listen to individuals.....well...that explains it all. Just get a template and try and squeeze it into every trade, it's not a trade it's a "commodity"...or just turn it into one.