ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

The Louisiana Purchase - ISA & iMerc

It's a pressure cooker, with little protons below bouncing around against one another.

ISA, MSSA, The State of Louisiana, UL, NEWOA, The Neon Group, Green Peace, IMERC...

It's been going on for a while, it's just been under the radar.

The Environmental Wackos are at it again with the world destruction done in by Mercury. Targeting artisans and a VERY small sector of those business's who use mercury to create a very efficient lamp called "Neon". A sector so small it's of bigger concern that these signs can fin themselves in the trashcan when spent. Releasing <sarcasm>deadly</sarcasm> vapor into the atmosphere and landfills across the fruited plains. Yet, this happens everyday by nature in the form of volcanism, especially underwater volcanism. Every hear of, The Ring of Fire?

Lunacy Project

NEWMOAProjectIdeas.pdf

And YET, the neon lamps who are made by professionals, installed by professionals, serviced by professionals usually get disposed of in a very "professional" form or recycling...most of the time.

BUT, what about is the ration of Neon lamps to Fluorescent lamps, commercially or residential??? Hmmmmm???

How often do these lamps just find themselves in the trash by the average consumer?

This picture of the Tree Hugger should say it all. I've even had a phone conversation with the Tree Hugger in the past. I won't bore you with the details of that outrageous/ridiculous phone conversation with lunacy.

post-3-0-14175500-1343264182.jpg

But I can say simple logic would tell you if Mercury is such a big threat, then we need to burn Mother Nature at the stake and rid outselves of all those Fluorescent lamps before we do the simple small Neon artisans.

So, where are we today as July 1st has come to pass?

I'll just say the outcome is probably VERY interesting, and probably safe to say "Self-Serving".

Stay Tune!

UPDATE 8/1/12

Loui Purchase.pdf

Feel free to browse these documents obtained from the state. It appears ISA has obtained exemption for merc neon tubes for only THEIR members ONLY? Such as...

Federal Heath, Kieffer & Co., Fallon, Thomas, Ruggles, Barlo, etc etc etc.

So here are the questions I have.

What qualifications does ISA have to certify these companies? What is that follow up process? Is ISA a National Environmental Listing Lab now?

Sought no Help from U.L. Green Leaf or as a qualifier?

Sought no Help from the Neon Group?

Now that most of these National Sign Companies are out of state, what happens to service calls or repairs from broken shipped in signs? Surely these Nationals will not ship their own unit in to the state and risk damage and they will contract with a local to do the job, AND are they a "listed ISA Member"?

ISA did this for the good of their own membership and not for the good of the sign industry? NO general exemption for ALL????

Maybe it's just me, but this has "Selfish" written all over it. Take/collect, work & data done by others, don't compensate them, then run with it to profit. A sort of "Join us, or don't get an exemption"???

NOW, in October of 2009 ISA did donate to the David Vitter (R-Louisiana State Senator) 2010 campaign in the amount of $1,000.00. Hmmmmmm, so......??? Hey, I'm not haten on Mr. Vitter, good guy, but?

Well, that's how it appears to me, my own personal opinion of course

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

Let me guess the phone call.

Erik: So miss tree hugger fella, what's your plan on natural Mercury contamination.

Tree Hugger: Erik, it's natural. So that means it's OK. Evil neon Mercury is not natural contamination. It's man made by all the multi Billion Dollar sign shops across the country. All the sign shops are big business, and have a huge lobby in DC. Making sure no one knows they're dumping millions of tons of waste Mercury daily. I however, am so smart. I figured this conspiracy against mother earth, all on my own.

One of the nutty ASSumptions was that she began to relay was (Her fact) that there might be a rogue "Neon Bender" who might decide to pour down the contents of their mercury stock down the drain. "...And what's to stop them". Yet she could not answer the fact that there are more CFL lamps in existence and that the average consumer will just shit can those when spent.

No Kidding

Let me guess the phone call.

Erik: So miss tree hugger fella, what's your plan on natural Mercury contamination.

Tree Hugger: Erik, it's natural. So that means it's OK. Evil neon Mercury is not natural contamination. It's man made by all the multi Billion Dollar sign shops across the country. All the sign shops are big business, and have a huge lobby in DC. Making sure no one knows they're dumping millions of tons of waste Mercury daily. I however, am so smart. I figured this conspiracy against mother earth, all on my own.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

As I had said a couple years ago when I was researching NEWMOA and IMERC for Icon. The ISA agreed to do all the compliance stuff for their members - so I'm surprised there aren't more members listed as beneficiaries. However, each member had a bit of paperwork to do to ALLOW ISA to be the paper shuffler. However, in agreeing to this with IMERC - ISA was to actually have a plan in place for the recycling of siad merucry, including fluorescent tubes, anything with merc in them used for signage. They also had to have a plan in place for the marking of such. My previaous company that I was with - South Water Signs, though a member of ISA, never received any information on this "plan". I did get SWS to participate in the recyling of neon units, and all fluorescent tubes that were serviced. Never were able to get everyone on the same page for shipped out signs, nor national service though. This is another bailiwick that ISA had agreed to deliver a "plan" for. Bear in mind the previously stated issues with "proper" shipping/handling of mercury items, and the recycling of such in little towns and out of the way areas in the country that do NOT have readily available recyling sites. AND many of these sites still will not handle "neon" tubes. Why? First off the amount of mercury in them, and the equipment that is needed to recylice the weird shapes that neon tubes come in, as well as the electrodes. You can't just simply, nor can the recycler, simply cut up the neon into smaller pieces for their machines. the Feds, IMERC, and the lousy representation by ISA towards this makes it really tough to comply. the best defense is the ability to show that you "tried" to meet the standards. But, alas, there are no set standards as much of it is state driven. As for the compliance of marking of mercury contained letters, signs --- the markings aren't tough. Just a simple recycling green garbage can, the universal one, is legit. However, it has to be put on each letter that has neon in it since you can't readily see the mercury containing vessel. This includes, of course, cabinets, etc that have fluorescent tubes. If you recall the boxes that you buy tubes in has the symbol, the lamps have the recyling stuff stamped on them -- since we can't mark the neon tubes - they have to be labeled, as well as the outside of the letter, as well as the outside of the sign cabinet. Also, according to the rules - the CONTRACT that the client signs is also supposed to be marked that the product/products they are purchasing have items containing mercury and must be disposed of properly. The rule is that the client - and also the company mfg or installing, is responsible for those merc tubes;unit, from placement till death. And the death and burying of those have to be audited.

If anyone does estimating for large projects - somewhere you will read in the print that the winner is responsible for recyling of all tubes, neon, etc removed for the new signs. This goes back to the first paragraph above.

Now, in saying that --- Southwater Signs charged the client, per tube, or per neon unit, for the proper disposal of such. We dealt with an Illinois/EPA compliant recycling outfit that actually went thru the hoopla to reconfigure their machines to allow for the recycling of neon units. Fluorescents were never a problem in this regards. SWS finally bought a bulb crusher for the fluorescents (some states they are illegal) for fluorescent tubes. In Illinois we are allowed to break the neon tubes into a sealed pvc 55 gal barrel and then have the recycler haul them away. Again, all states are different. Without the crusher - lamps had to maintained in an enclosed area, in boxes, dated for receipt, kept no more than a year, before proper disposal. Neon tubes would have to kept, stored, unbroken, and then hauled "properly" to a recycler.

Caution - bulb crushers are NOT allowed to be used for neon units. If caught, like one company in Illinois by the recycler --- the cost of that barrel to be recycled jumped up to $5,000.

I'd love to see the "plan" that ISA agreed to put in place for the members, that encompasses the noted areas.

gn

• 4 weeks later...

ISA Wins Exemption for Louisiana Mercury Phase-Out

Alexandria, VA - August 21, 2012 -- After several years of advocacy on the issue, the International Sign Association, working with the Mid South Sign Association, has received an exemption from Louisiana's phase-out for mercury-added neon signs. Before the decision, sign companies operating in Louisiana were limited to 10 mg of mercury per neon tube, a level below the minimum necessary to operate properly.

To be covered by the exemption, sign companies must join ISA Manufacturer's Designated Industrial Trade Group. Inclusion in the group is free for ISA members and $1,150 for non-members. Anyone wishing to join the group must fill out related paperwork available on ISA's website and forward the completed paperwork to ISA. Trade group members also must report their annual mercury usage and abide by product labeling requirements, which detail the need for mercury-added signs to be properly collected and recycled at the end of their use.

Companies who are not part of the ISA Manufacturer's Designated Industrial Trade Group may not manufacture or sell mercury-added neon signs in the state of Louisiana.

"This is an important win for ISA member companies operating in Louisiana and the sign industry at large," said Lori Anderson, ISA president and CEO. "While we are dedicated as an industry to appropriate use and disposal of substances such as mercury, we're also committed to delivering the most appropriate sign methods for the businesses that we serve. Building bridges to government entities is important to ensure that we continue to have the ability to create neon signs, which have been valuable to our industry for generations."

Louisiana is the first member of the Interstate Mercury Education and Reduction Clearinghouse (IMERC) to approve a comprehensive exemption which applies to all companies currently belonging to the ISA trade group. IMERC designates the trade groups to ensure compliance by industries that manufacture mercury-added products. The ISA group also will help members comply with requirements that are applicable to all manufacturers of fabricated, mercury-added products.

Still want to know what certifications ISA has to act as a listing lab.

Most agencies like UL and MET are certified by the government. Why did ISA not work with agencies like UL or MET on this, to make shops that are already listed, go by a set of standards by agencies who have testing labs?

What does the EPA think ISA will be doing to enforce their program and make sure their members are following along?

Am I the ONLY on that thinks this is a little strange?

I think this is only the tip of the ice berg of what future plans ISA has their sites set on.

Get ready for more "Exclusive, club only activity".

It's good to see how all the mob.....errrrrr......"Club Money" is getting spent. Build relationships with the government and bureaucracies and turn it into a program.

What's next, only ISA members will be able to pull permits for sign installs, their members signs will be exempt from the 15% light dimming proposals. Soon their will be U.L., MET, ETL and if you're an ISA member you're exempt from one of the three and all you have to do is add a ISA sticker to the sign? Special cuts in line at Starbucks? 40% off at Fantasy Land in the magic kingdom? Free Broccoli coupons/vouchers? Exempt from OSHA?

Good god, what are you people feeding?