ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

mobile communication

• Board Patron

Is anybody using an app or program to download service forms from the PC in the office to send to the service Truck for the tech to fill out on a tablet and send it in electronically when the job is completed?? If so, what are you using and what are your experiences with it? Don't want or need something that costs an arm and a leg. Thought I found the perfect app that said it was free, but once I got into it, it wouldn't do what I needed it to without having 10 plus service trucks and that would have been a minimum of $350 a month!!!!

• !llumenati

Been awhile since I played with this idea. When I was with that other company I told you about, I experimented with a custom pdf for surveys. Easy to do, enough free apps to fill in the pdf out in the field, etc, all sign measurements,, building measurements, etc., and then fire back to the company. doing it that way - real easy for PM or boss to verify that all info and measurements have been taken as needed. Easy to take pics and instantly send back to company also. Easy way to file pics after installation, complete with behind the wall pics, etc to verify a clean, pprofessional install. Also easy to document the wire schematics for posterity.

PDF's, fillable pdfs, can be easily made with adobe. Play around with several pdf apps for the tablet to find the one thta works easiest for your forms. I also played around with excel forms - allowing the excel to verify by formulas that the measurements make sense. Using apps, its also possible to take picture in field, and then using app, actually write measurements ON the picture so there is no confusion as to what the measurement represents. Past company wasns't keen on spending $$ for the tablets. I thought it would be money well spent ------------- now that is a weird concept?

Another concept using tablets - if you set up with a master gmail account, there is a cool program that will allow you to pull up on the computer where the tablet is on google maps, with no fees, just in the syncing of the gmail program. Quite nice ---------

Another thing to consider --- real easy to use google drive, set it up as a form for truck materials. It is LIVE - meaning when the serviceman pulls 20 widgets from stock, and puts it on the tablet - your office person can immmediately see it pulled from inventory, thus easily knowing what needs to be ordered simply by monitoring that form. it is actual REAL TIME when using this way. I had set up all ordering from outside vendors - complete with pricing, date ordered, received, expected arrival date. All the important people could easily see IF it was arrived, where it was at in the shop, and mgrs could easily acccount for all $$ owed to what vendors and why. REAL TIME, again, with no fees just using google drive.

Have fun - great idea.

• Board Patron

Been awhile since I played with this idea. When I was with that other company I told you about, I experimented with a custom pdf for surveys. Easy to do, enough free apps to fill in the pdf out in the field, etc, all sign measurements,, building measurements, etc., and then fire back to the company. doing it that way - real easy for PM or boss to verify that all info and measurements have been taken as needed. Easy to take pics and instantly send back to company also. Easy way to file pics after installation, complete with behind the wall pics, etc to verify a clean, pprofessional install. Also easy to document the wire schematics for posterity.

PDF's, fillable pdfs, can be easily made with adobe. Play around with several pdf apps for the tablet to find the one thta works easiest for your forms. I also played around with excel forms - allowing the excel to verify by formulas that the measurements make sense. Using apps, its also possible to take picture in field, and then using app, actually write measurements ON the picture so there is no confusion as to what the measurement represents. Past company wasns't keen on spending $$ for the tablets. I thought it would be money well spent ------------- now that is a weird concept?

Another concept using tablets - if you set up with a master gmail account, there is a cool program that will allow you to pull up on the computer where the tablet is on google maps, with no fees, just in the syncing of the gmail program. Quite nice ---------

Another thing to consider --- real easy to use google drive, set it up as a form for truck materials. It is LIVE - meaning when the serviceman pulls 20 widgets from stock, and puts it on the tablet - your office person can immmediately see it pulled from inventory, thus easily knowing what needs to be ordered simply by monitoring that form. it is actual REAL TIME when using this way. I had set up all ordering from outside vendors - complete with pricing, date ordered, received, expected arrival date. All the important people could easily see IF it was arrived, where it was at in the shop, and mgrs could easily acccount for all $$ owed to what vendors and why. REAL TIME, again, with no fees just using google drive.

Have fun - great idea.

I am just trying to find a better way to track jobs, materials etc. All of your ideas I think would work for what I am talking about. Didn't know Google had anything that would track live like that. You are the best!! I will keep you posted on how it goes. May have some questions - if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Angie

• Board Patron

we are also In need of some project management software, let me know what you find.

It has been a daunting task thus far! I have found apps that will work one way (from the tablet to the office) but haven't found anything yet to send from here to there and then back to me. I was up until 2:30 this morning looking and will probably do the same tonight.

• Board Patron

If you want, send me whst you are trying to do. Xp is microsoft, and android is droid. Why i suggested possib using google drive.

I didn't get a chance to check out google drive last night. My daughter, son-in-law and one year old grandson have moved in with us, so I have little time at night to do anything until after he goes to sleep. Hahaha - I am going to try to get a minute to check it out today. I will print the form and send it to you to take a look at. You are the BEST!!

• Board Patron

I only get bout a 50% success rate in getting work orders filled out properly in the field... Pisses me off. Having to spend time with the crews every day. Getting them to fill out their paper work right. Not one of them is under 40 years old... They do great work. But filling in all the blanks on a piece of paper is damn near impossible. They've asked for a portable laptop. No way. Most go through a digital camera once a month. Something else for them to break...

• Board Patron

I only get bout a 50% success rate in getting work orders filled out properly in the field... Pisses me off. Having to spend time with the crews every day. Getting them to fill out their paper work right. Not one of them is under 40 years old... They do great work. But filling in all the blanks on a piece of paper is damn near impossible. They've asked for a portable laptop. No way. Most go through a digital camera once a month. Something else for them to break...

I have the SAME problem!! I just don't get it. I don't half ass pay them, but they want to half ass complete a form or not complete it at all, so I know I have invoicing that never gets done!! I told them the other day that I was going to start paying them based on the invoicing I was able to complete based on the forms they turn in (properly)! Hell, don't even know if that would work!!

• !llumenati

what a pity. Here I sit with my tool bag, my gauges, my phone, my tablet, my laptop, can use them all. But I'm over qualified so I work 65 hours a week in a different career because I can't find a job in my career. Sometimes I guess life is a bitch.

• Board Patron

Come move to Texas! I'll put you to work!

Take him up on it, Gary!! From what I can tell from his posts on here, I think he would be a blast to work for!!

• Board Patron

Moving to tennessee. Thanks though. Not sure what i will do there, but might get a little rig and just do service. Might be qualified for that.

That's a good idea. Just enough for you. Wish I could go back to that sometimes!! Hahaha