ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Install Channel Letters Without A License Now

Erik Sine

Curious, but even more curious to see what these letters look like. But I can't imagine it actually eliminates a licensed contractor or electrician. After all, power does need to be brought to said location, AND in most states any property improvements does require a licensed contractor to perform, improve or modify property and structures. I suppose you can go owner builder, but what property owner will actually go through the process let alone a property owner allow one of their tenants to perform exterior work with no guarantee THEY won't burn the building down leaving the property owner with no remedy to recover their loss? How will insurance work where the user can install on their own accord?

Like I said, I haven't seen but it is curious. So many questions when it comes to liability that need answering.

W.Va. sign maker gets utility patent for installation system
http://www.timesleaderonline.com/page/content.detail/id/801563/W-Va--sign-maker-gets-utility-patent-for-installation-system.html?isap=1&nav=5020
February 28, 2015

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) — Tony Wheeler, owner and president of Paris Signs, has been awarded a utility patent for a modular power delivery system he said could change the way electric sign letters are installed.

"The system is the only one of its kind and is approved by Underwriters Laboratory and the National Electric Code," Wheeler said. "The innovative feature is that it allows anyone to install electric channel letters without an electrical license."

Channel letters are custom-made metal or plastic letters that are commonly used on the buildings of business, churches and other organizations for exterior signs. According to its website, the Underwriters Laboratory is a global independent safety science company that promotes safe living and working environments, helps safeguard people, products and places and facilitates trade.

"All over the nation and world there's a safety regulation," Wheeler said. "The Underwriters Laboratory does testing and everything that has the 'UL' symbol means it's safe. All the municipalities throughout the United States require that UL be on signage."

One hurdle Wheeler said his patent helps clear — since signs are required to be UL-approved after installation as well — is the requirement the job be performed by a certified electrician.

"What we did is develop a system where anyone can install channel letters and plug them together," he said. "and it's still UL and National Electric Code-approved."

Wheeler detailed what makes his system worthy of a utility patent.

"We used special wire and special plastic," he said. "It's all molded plastics and three-prong plugs and there's a whole system to all the components. We sell it that way so whenever the client gets the letters it's a quick and easy install and it's already UL-approved so they can get their permit faster."

The system is sold only along with letters, and UL requires Paris Signs to produce the system because of certain criteria that must be met. Wheeler received the patent in late 2014 and will soon launch a website.

"We have an all-new website under construction to use as a direct marketing tool to sell the letters with the patented system," he said. "About 70 percent of our business is repeat customers. Mostly what we have tried to do is sell to sign companies, which works pretty well, but we're actually going to go direct-market to consumers with the new website."

Incorporated in 1991, Paris Signs is located at 2400 5th St. Road in Huntington. Visit www.parissigns.com for more information.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Hmmmm. Channel Letters?

Let's assume that the electrical is already there. Say an outdoor weatherproof outlet enclosure of some sort. Let's also assume that there's no local or national code which precludes the use of such an outlet and the sign is simply "plugged in". Afterall, LED illumination doesn't really have a hazardous secondary to work with and from what I'm reading here would likely have ye' old "Electrocution Hazard: Qualified Service Only" or "Non-Serviceable Parts" labeling. Similar to your tv and other household appliances.

So, what about attachment method specific to the location?

Did shear and axial force, fastener tensile strength, windloads, and the section of whatever you're attaching this letterset to become a non issue never to be considered?

Although, a carpenter or GC may be "qualified" to handle installation.

Certainly a "disruptive" idea, yet I don't quite see it effecting a large area of the market.

What type of end user who is looking to save the $800 to $2000 typical letterset installation costs by doing it themselves is an "ideal" client anyway?

Sure everyone tries to appease their potential clients, but few chase this kind of work.

Maybe I've got it all wrong. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

• Board Patron

I'm envisioning a weatherproof surge protector power strip raceway/wireway contraption. Not too worried here. How many customers own a sign crane, tools, and the ability to do basic construction work? Permitting could be an issue. They'll still need a dedicated outlet ran, if this is truly plug in and play. I'm sure they'll sell some direct. Just curious to see their system. Not on their website I could find.

"All over the nation and world there's a safety regulation," Wheeler said. "The Underwriters Laboratory does testing and everything that has the 'UL' symbol means it's safe. All the municipalities throughout the United States require that UL be on signage."

You serious Clark? :wallbash:

I'm also picturing something along the lines of what alltex is describing and Paris Signs is labeling them as portable signage.