ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Ouch got my UL bill

We dumped UL about 8 years ago when they started sending us outrageous bills.

Got a big channel letter job coming up in very strict town so we decided to get back on board.

They went from $2,000 a year to $5,000

OUCH

Eric

$3050 plus 4 inspections @ $480ea.=$4970

Quote for next year $1480 for the year plus 4 inspections $3400

What hurts is I only do about 1 set of channel letters or box a month.

Bright side is is I don't have to bite my nails when the electrical inspectors are looking at the work.

Wow, you're going to be paying a lot more than $5k a year with their regular webinars that they make up religiously for you to stay "informed". Probably closer to $6k a year or $500 a month. Unfortunately, their real big with their webinars for quick profit farming. This could all be taken care of with just a simple pamphlet where the inspector can follow up.

If that's all you do on average a month, wouldn't it be better to go through a wholesaler?

Damn, MET Laboratories is probably looking good right about now.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Eric

I guess I could sub it out but I am so used to making my own stuff and it keeps an employee busy.

UFB

Problem is I never know how picky the electrical inspector is going to be.

Job I am doing now the ahj wants a photo of the labeling that clearly show the file numbers etc.

• Board Patron

2 other thoughts:

1 I would think that with the costs involved one would have to build a fair amount of labeled signs to cover the costs of a listed shop.

2 There is also methods a listed shop can test, document a sign and label for you. I assume in most cases your competition may not be to keen to help you out.

3 how may signs do you do in a year? Would it be worth shipping them to us? send me a PM if we can help.

UFB,

We do about 12 channel or box signs a year.

Tell me about the methods for a listed shop to doc and label a sign.

Does Ul permit this ?

We have already paid for the first year(not the inspections that will be coming up)

maybe this is something for us to consider for next year.

It won't take the sting out of the yearly fee but you should ask your UL field rep about reducing the number of inspections per year if possible. We're labeling way more signs than you are but are "only" subject to eight visits per year. At 12 signs per year I would think your UL rep would be showing up often without you having any product to look at, just documentation/records.

• Board Patron

For a second company to list they will need a laundry list of materials. Example face materials and brand. LED s brand. and so on. then the type and qty of lighting components. Then how the sign is constructed drain holes and so on. If its not according to UL sams manual then will have to replace component or product. Pretty much as the UL inspection would be.