ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Axiom white LED channel letter modules reach 100 lm/W

Erik Sine

Axiom white LED channel letter modules reach 100 lm/W

21 Nov 2007

Axiom Power Corp says that its white LED modules for channel letter lighting, using very high efficacy Nichia LEDs, match the pricing of neon systems.

Axiom Power Corporation has introduced a white LED system for lighting channel letters that it claims has the highest lumen per watt rating and lowest cost per linear foot on the market.

The Las Vegas company says that its AX-LE1-WG line of LED modules has an efficacy in excess of 100 lm/W, and are equivalent brightness to designer white neon.

The modules contain new, ultra-high efficiency Nichia LEDs from a single bin. Axiom says the new LEDs are used by itself and by a major US airplane manufacturer.

The Axiom AX-LE1-WG uses only 0.7 watts per module, and features a new modular architecture that does not use power-limiting resistors to control power to the product.

The AX-LE1-WG module measures 1 x 0.5 inch and is 1/8-inch high. It is pre-wired for two LED modules per linear foot (equivalent to 1.4 watts per linear foot). Axiom says that this is almost 3x lower power than competing LEDs.

“Our white AX-LE1-WG is the perfect product for channel letters as it is priced the same as the neon it replaces but is now one-third the power of other LED systems. This means the sign company now requires fewer power supplies,” said Manuel Lynch, one of the founders of Axiom Power Corporation.

Lynch said that the product has already been specified, designed into, and used on major retail sign programs. "It introduces a solution that is now lower cost than neon and almost one-tenth the power,” continued Lynch.

The AX-LE1-WG is priced at $2.95 per module ($5.90 per linear foot) in low volumes, with pricing as low as $2.50 per module in high volumes.

Each UL Recognized Wet Location module is weather-coated for resistance to moisture. The modules come with VHB tape and due to the high efficiency of the single-bin Nichia LED technology they can be mounted to plastic, aluminum or steel letters without compromising the 50,000 hour lifetime.

Axiom also introduced its complimentary line of UL Recognized Class II constant voltage 15Vdc power supplies that feature 90-264VAC input with a 60 Watt and a 120 Watt option available.

The 60-watt product, which can power 85 LED modules or 42 feet of lighting, is priced at $34.00 (or $0.80 per linear foot), while the 120-watt power supply can power 170 LED modules or 85 feet of lighting and is only $65 (or $0.76 per linear foot).

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

FYI

Manuel Lynch used to be CEO of PermLight and these products are more or less Axiom's version of previous PermLight products.

Being a steady user of Nichia LEDs, I am 99.99% certain that this new AX-LE1-WG module can't safely reach 100 lumens per watt without compromising diode longevity. It's the same LED we use in our "SuperStroke" product, and we mount them 2 to a module, 2 modules per foot (so 4 diodes per foot at approx 60 lumens per diode, for 240 lumens per foot). Won't know for certain til I see the stuff in person.

Too bad its Thanksgiving today, as I tried to call them for more info. Have to try again tomorrow, or wait until Monday to talk to Manuel and/or order samples. Pricing for the power supplies is quite good, and I like that they have a 60W and 120W configuration with a built in j-box.

These LEDs are actually 100 lumens per watt. The way we are powering them is at the ratings specified by Nichia. I doubt anyone has ever seen or used these LEDs since Axiom and Boeing are the only two companies to have seen these so far. The products are run very cool and have a rated lifetime how we are running them of 50K hours according to Nichia. Furthermore, please note that there is only the LED on the board and that there are no resistors. This LED has a VF of 14.7Volts.

Yes I am Manuel Lynch, ex CEO of Permlight, and our products are far beyond my past company both in performance and in how low cost we offer them.

The new product we have introduced has already been tested and specified on some major national retail programs by several of the top sign companies in the USA.

Contact me at manuellynch@axiompowercorp.com if you want additional informaiton.

These LEDs are actually 100 lumens per watt. The way we are powering them is at the ratings specified by Nichia. I doubt anyone has ever seen or used these LEDs since Axiom and Boeing are the only two companies to have seen these so far. The products are run very cool and have a rated lifetime how we are running them of 50K hours according to Nichia. Furthermore, please note that there is only the LED on the board and that there are no resistors. This LED has a VF of 14.7Volts

I tried zooming in to get a closer look, but the best I could tell it was an 083 diode. I'm aware of the other 'upcoming parts' but AFAIK they weren't available in production quantities yet.

I'll give you a call tomorrow Manuel, as I do have some things to run by you. -Marko

The Nichia 083 has 6 chips inside it run in parallel. This new one has 4 of the same LED chip but in series. The reason why this LED is so much better than the 083 has largely to do with: 1) availability of the 083 as Kichler has bought most all of the products from Nichia, 2) Axiom has a UL Class II recognized line of Power Supplies that UL has approved to work at 14.7 Volts - so in essence we are one of the few companies that can make high density and high performance power supplies that can operate in this mode and meet temperature requirements of UL.

I have spoken with quite a few of you about this product and I thought I would put more detail on this product here.

1. This product is NOT being overpowered - it is rated for 80mA and we are running it at 60mA

2. This product is a 100 Lumen Per Watt LED - it is a version of an LED chip used in the new iPODs and high end mobile phones

3. This LED has a lifetime of 50K hours.

4. This LED can handle a junction temperature or operating temperature of near 150 Celsius

5. This product IS NOT mounted on a metal circuit board - it is not needed. It is on a proprietary FR4 fiberglass board configuration that runs cooler than anything you have seen before + this product can run hotter than other LED systems.

This product is not readily available as it is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT. We will have products available again in mid-January.

This product sells for $2.95 per module and is spaced 2 per linear foot or $5.90 a foot and is brighter than anything from Sloan, Permlight, or GE

Also - this product is almost 1/3rd the power of comparable products so that means a lot less power supplies.

Hope this answers any remaining questions.