ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

listing agencies

• !llumenati

THIRD PARTY AGENCIES ACCREDITED BY THE NCBCC TO

LABEL ELECTRICAL & MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT AS OF JULY 1, 2006

Applied Research Laboratories Equipment Categories

5371 Northwest 161st Street Miami, Florida 33014 6, 8, 12, 14, 15, 18, 21, 22, 24, 31, & 43

(305) 624-4800

CSA International Equipment Categories

178 Rexdale Boulevard, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9W IR3 All

(416) 747-2798

Entela, Inc Equipment Categories

3033 Madison Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49548 11, 12, 26-29, 31, 40, 43, 47, & 48

(616) 656-7401

Factory Mutual Research Equipment Categories

PO Box 9102, Norwood, Massachusetts 02062 4, 5, 9, 13, 17, 19, 24, 28, 31, 32, 39, 43, 47, 48, 49,

(781) 762-4300 50, & 51

Intertek Testing Services ITS-ETL Equipment Categories

3933 US Route 11, Cortland, New York 13045-2014 All except 21

(607) 753-6711

Intertek Testing Services ITS-Warnock Equipment Categories

3933 US Route 11, Cortland, New York 13045-2014 17,18, 21, 24, & 25

(607) 753-6711

MET Laboratories Equipment Categories

2200 Gateway Centre Blvd., Suite 215, Morrisville, NC 27560 7, 10 - 16, 18, 22, 23, 26 - 31, 37 - 40, 43, 44, 47, 48,

(919) 481-9319 & 50

National Technical Systems (NTS) Equipment Categories

533 Main Street, Acton, MA 01720 26, 27, & 28

(978) 263-2933

Omni-Test Laboratories Equipment Categories

PO Box 743, Beaverton, Oregon 97075 17, 18, & 21

(503) 643-3788

PFS Corporation Equipment Categories

2402 Daniels Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53718 17, 19, 20, 21, & Replacement Blowers & coils

(608) 221-3361

RADCO Equipment Categories

3220 East 59th Street, Long Beach, California 90805 1, 18, & Replacement blowers & coils

(310) 272-7231

TUV America Equipment Categories

5 Cherry Hill Drive, Danvers, MA 01923 4-8, 10-20, 22, 23, 26-29, 31, 35, 36, 38, 39, 43,

(800) 888-0123 46-48, & 50

TUV Rheinland of North America Equipment Categories

762 Park Avenue, Youngsville, North Carolina 27596 7-9, 11-14, 16, 26-28, 31, 40, 43, 47, & 48

(919) 554-3668

Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. Equipment Categories

12 Laboratory Drive, RTP, North Carolina 27709 All

(919) 549-1400

Wyle Laboratories Equipment Categories

7800 Highway 20 West, Huntsville, Alabama 35806 4, 26, & 43

(256) 837-4411 x 4125

EQUIPMENT CATEGORIES

1. Conductors for General Wiring

2. Flexible Cords

3. Wires and Cables for Special Applications

4. Materials and Components for Special Applications

5. Alarm Signal and Detecting System Components

6. CATV and Radio Distribution System Components

7. Communication System Components

8. Radio and Television Components

9. Energy Management System Components and Controllers

10. Sound Recording and Reproduction Equipment

11. Fixed Office Appliances and Business Equipment

12. Electrical Appliances

13. Electric Space Heating Equipment and Accessories

14. Air Conditioning Equipment and Accessories

15. Heat Pump Equipment and Accessories

16. Refrigeration Equipment and Accessories

17. Gas Fired Heating Equipment and Accessories

18. Gas Fired Appliances

19. Oil Fired Heating Equipment and Accessories

20. Oil Fired Appliances

21. Solid Fuel Heating Equipment

22. Fans and Ventilators

23. Filtering Equipment

24. Duct Materials Including Dampers

25. Chimneys and Vents

26. Electrical Data Processing Equipment

27. Medical, Dental, and X-Ray Equipment

28. Laboratory, Equipment, Electrical Measuring, and Testing Equipment

29. Food Preparation Machines

30. Swimming Pool and Spa Equipment

31. Miscellaneous Fixed Equipment - Amusement Machines, Animal Care, Appliances

Battery Chargers, Cleaning Machines, etc.

32. Fire Extinguishing Equipment

33. Circuit Breakers

34. Fuses

35. Wiring Devices, Attachment Plugs and Toggle Switches

36. Switches and Switching Devices - Other than Toggle

37. Panelboards

38. Switchboards

39. Transformers

40. Electrical Signs and Accessories

41. Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupters

42. Ground-Fault Sensing and Relaying Equipment

43. Industrial Control Equipment - Motor Controllers, Industrial Control Panels,

Motor Control Centers, Motorized Valves, Solenoids, etc.

44. Transient Voltage Surge Suppressors and Filters

45. Lightning Protection System Components and Lightning Protection Devices

46. Metering Enclosures and Meter Sockets

47. Emergency Lighting and Power Equipment System Components

48. Lighting Fixtures, Lamp Holders, and Accessories

49. Auxiliary Gutters, Junction, Pull and Outlet Boxes, and Cabinets and Cutout Boxes

50. Electrical Equipment for Hazardous Locations

51. Grounding and Bonding Equipment

52. Wire Connectors, Lugs, and Terminal Fittings

53. Insulating Tape and Closures

Edited by Westcoast Sign Guy
info

WOW, did not know there were this many listing co.'s beside U.L., I thought there were only 2 others or so that would list electric signs. Good to know, thanks Gary!

Anyone listed through any of these?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

Yeah, I'd be interested to know if anyone uses these alternatives. I tried to get info from MET but have been ignored so far. :crazy: java script:add_smilie(" :crazy: ","smid_66")

crazy.gif

• !llumenati
I'm going to contact every single one and come back with annual costs

Pay attention to what listings they do --------- I think you're looking for 40 ??

gn

Pay attention to what listings they do --------- I think you're looking for 40 ??

gn

Getting some interesting info, too bad there only seems to be three others beside Underwriter labs. But, there is growth and a move to focus more into the electric sign market. I'll post real soon with pricing.

MET doesn't list sign shops, they are only product specific.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I've looked into ETL in the past. It happens to be a worldwide testing laboratory that is a direct competitor with UL. Fact is my inspector will not allow any product that has an ETL listed component to be installed in our signs manufactured then labeled with a UL label. ETL has been conducting performance and reliability tests in North America since 1896, the year in which the original ETL laboratory was founded by the Edison Electric Illumination Company. Today Intertek, and the ETL Listed and the cETL Listed Marks are accepted by Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs) throughout the United States and Canada as evidence of compliance with nationally recognized safety standards for electrical, gas and oil-fired products.

The closest rep is in Portland Oregon in this part of the country. Although they were willing to service us I let it slide. Anyone have experience with them?

I've looked into ETL in the past.

-----snip-----

Anyone have experience with them?

Yes. Intertek Testing Services (Intertek ETL SEMCO) does all our LED scoreboards, indoor and outdoor. We used to be a customer of UL for twenty-plus years until I switched two years ago. We comply with UL48 (Electric Signs) and UL950/EN60950 (Safety for Information Technology Equipment.)

We're in Houston, and they travelled out of the Richardson, Texas office, so it's no trouble to get stuff tested. As a manufacturer, we get quarterly follow-up inspections (passed every one!) and they are competitively-priced. They provide timely answers to my questions concerning the regulatory impact of proposed legislation, questions about special signs and installations, or questions involving the necesssary compliance testing for future projects.

-----begin personal rant-----

What I like about them vs. UL is that they tested all our stuff in full compliance with in the relevant UL/EN specs. UL, on the other hand, was quick to expand their sphere of influence into minutiae outside the UL specs as, in my opinion, a business strategy to generate maximum testing and follow-up inspection revenue from their existing customer base. In other words, I was the victim of an extortion racket. I would opine that your inspector, who does not allow ETL-listed components in a UL project, is part of that same racket.

-----end personal rant-----

YMMV but I'm happy. (Disclosure - I am not paid or compensated by Intertek ETL in any fashion, only a satisfied customer.)

Super EE Dave

• !llumenati

YMMV but I'm happy. (Disclosure - I am not paid or compensated by Intertek ETL in any fashion, only a satisfied customer.)

Super EE Dave

Thanks for the comments----I'd never heard of Intertek before-------.

On another note --------- Eric says that he's not compensated by K-girl either ---------- just a satisfied husband.

You don't know me ---so let me explain--------that was a joke.

gn

Edited by Gary Nutting

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Board Patron

We got a quote from MET in 2009. The program cost was $950 (less than UL) but to get our stuff inspected it would be $900 for the first inspection, then $700 for each quarterly inspection. Upon completion of four consecutive discrepancy free audits, you can go down to bi annual audits. I'm not sure but I think that you have to send them a sample sign and some other information (including your current UL listing info) so they can make sure you are eligible for their program.