Jump to content


If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components Like Trim Cap, LED's, USHIO LED Lamps, Neon Supplies, or LED Power Supplies, Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!

Buy Now


For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors

Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

You Must Be A Registered Member & A Subcontractor
Click Here


Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call? Locate a Supplier or Advertiser Regarding Thier Goods & Services?

Become a Member & Upgrade Your Free Membership So Others Can Locate You
Click Here

Recommended Posts



Utah sign company owner killed when crane malfunctions
Man was replacing sign in Bountiful when equipment malfunctioned.

By stephen hunt

| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Nov 01 2013 02:59 pm • Last Updated Nov 01 2013 10:37 pm

The owner of a West Valley City sign company was killed Friday morning while working from a cherry picker crane in Bountiful.

Richard Gillies, 66, of Gillies Signs & Design Inc., was replacing a sign at an out-of-business Blockbuster store near 500 South and 200 West at about 11:30 a.m. when the truck-mounted crane apparently malfunctioned, according to Assistant Bountiful Police Chief Ed Biehler.

Gillies was in the bucket of the crane when the problem occurred, Biehler said.

When Gillies’ son, a man in his 30s, attempted to maneuver the crane from below, there was an additional malfunction which pressed Gillies up against an overhanging facade and then flung him forward toward the building, Biehler said.

Gilles was crushed against the building and fell from the bucket to the ground 10 to 15 feet below, Biehler said.

Other workers inside the building, which is being turned into a fitness club, performed CPR on the victim until emergency personnel arrived.

Gillies was flown to University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration were investigating the accident, and members of the state medical examiner’s office also were at the scene, Bielher said.

According to his company website, Richard Gillies has been in the sign business for over 35 years.



You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Patron

Its sad and a remind to wear a harness and actually hook it in. no matter how much experience you have, anything could go wrong.

  • Like 1


63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket



Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Patron

what brand???

last inspection???


63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket



Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Patron

Sounds like the guy with all the experience was crushed in the bucket while the 30 year old ....experienced 30 year old?........ was at the controls....wait a minute you wouldn't catch me in the bucket with a newbie at the controls.

I've lost pay refusing to have a questionably experienced guy fly me around in a Skyhook bucket/attachment/contraption piece of shit since they want the know-how guy in the bucket. Don't worry he's operated that equipment that we hardly ever fix before, you'll be fine.

Condolences to another sign man and his family.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The operator was the mans son. I'm sure if he could turn back time he would be the first to alter what happened. So my heart goes out to the man.

And like the family farm, which is still the most dangerous workplace in America, the family sign business can fall prey to the same conditions that can lead to accidents like this. Don't just learn from your mistakes. Be vigilant and learn from others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was imvolved in a bucket accident 18 years ago. Family business I was the neon bender with the owers son who taught me, and I was doing an install with the father. I was in the bucket, no strap, and my truck was hit by a huge box truck. I few 3 stories to the ground in the middle of the hiway. Shattered my ankle, broke parts of my back, pretty well screwed up, but alive......took me years to get back and many surgeries later. Now I just bend, no istalls for me thanks.

This is a tradgity for the family. We can all be alittle more careful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Patron

How sad. Family owned, like me, or large corporation, some of these guys get careless (hard headed) sometimes. "It won't happen to me" mentality. They put the harness on and either don't, or "forget" to latch in. What the hell good is the thing if you aren't hooked to the bucket??? I raise hell all of the time around here and they get all pissed off when I do, but I have never, and won't ever if I can help it, have an accident on my watch!! Better pissed off than dead!! My sympathies to his family. Especially his son. I can't imagine how he is feeling today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

my heart goes out to the family.

hindsight is always 20/20, but better to be safe than sorry. harness MUST be hooked-in at all times. malfunction in the controls on lifts is cause for immediate shut-down of equipment until repaired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Similar Content

    • By Erik Sine
      Not good at all
      Sign Fallen.mp4
    • By Erik Sine
      Steve from UFB Fabrication sent this to me and it took some time trying to figure out how to post on here, but it got done!
      BTW - This work was not performed by a Sign Shop
    • By Erik Sine
      Man pleads not guilty to illegally constructing sign on CUB site wall


      The owner of sign installation business has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he illegally constructed an advertising hoarding that was attached to a brick wall that collapsed and killed three pedestrians in Carlton.

      Teenage siblings Alexander and Bridget Jones and Frenchwoman Marie-Faith Fiawoo, 33, died on March 27, 2013, when a 20-metre section of the wall and wooden hoarding fell in high winds.

      Construction giant Grocon was later fined $250,000 after pleading guilty to failing to ensure a safe workplace at the vacant Carlton and United Breweries site in Swanston Street.

      In Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday, Jonathon Westmoreland, 30, from Wandin North, pleaded not guilty to a charge of doing building work without a permit over several days in October, 2011.

      Prosecutor Paul Holdenson QC told the court that Mr Westmoreland's business traded as Paramount Signs and was not a corporate entity.

      Mr Holdenson, with Andrew Woods for the Victorian Building Authority, said in his opening to a planned six-day hearing that the accused and three workers constructed the plywood hoarding attached to the brick wall.

      He said Grocon owned the site and Mr Westmoreland built the hoarding pursuant to a contract with the company.
      A court previously heard that he had been subcontracted by Aussie Signs.

      Defence barrister Peter Haag told magistrate Carolene Gwynn that his client was not legally empowered to apply for a building permit.
      Before the case began, Ms Gwynn noted that the hearing was booked in for six days and asked If it was correct that all attempts at resolving the matter had been "exhausted".
      Mr Holdenson said that they had.

      The first prosecution witnesses called had worked with Mr Westmoreland on constructing and attaching the plywood hoarding to the brick wall.
      Paul Livesay, a mechanic, agreed with Mr Holdenson that the accused was the "boss" and also had worked on the job.
      Mr Livesay said he had signed a "job safety analysis" before work began with a Grocon employee but he did not know if a building permit had been issued for work on the site.
      Signwriter Daniel McMahon said he had done a "bit of everything" on the job and had attended a "tool box meeting" with the Grocon representative but he also could not recall a building permit being issued.

      Ashley Taylor, a stone mason who is still employed by Paramount Signs, said he was told by Mr Westmoreland "what to do" and had not seen a building permit or heard anyone discuss one.
      Guissepe Genco, the City of Melbourne's building surveyor, told the court the masonry brick wall ran for about 70 metres and the hoarding for about 20 metres of that length.
      Mr Genco said about 20 metres of the wall collapsed and between 1.8 and two metres of the plywood hoarding had fallen.

      He told Mr Holdenson that checks of council records had not found a building permit having been applied for or issued for the site in October, 2011.

      In an unsworn statement by Mr Westmoreland in April, 2013, that was read in court by Mr Holdenson, he admitted he did not obtain any planning or building permits for the work because he did not deem it his responsibility.

      He said he had been "totally distraught" since learning of the deaths and that he had "questioned myself every day since". He said in the statement that if there had been "any issue with the integrity of the wall I would have voiced my concerns".

      Cameron Davey, a compliance officer with the Victorian Building Authority, said in evidence that Mr Westmoreland told him in an interview in December, 2013 that he had no formal building qualifications but had been a carpentry apprentice for two years.

      In the interview, Mr Westmoreland said the company Aussie Signs subcontracted the work to his brother's company who then engaged Mr Westmoreland.
      The hearing continues.
    • By Erik Sine
      Vic sign company to be tried on fatal wall

      A Melbourne sign company will face trial over the fatal collapse of a wall on Swanston Street in the CBD which killed three people.

      A magistrate has committed a Melbourne sign company to stand trial over the fatal collapse of a brick wall, but denied a request to have the matter heard in the Victorian Supreme Court.

      Aussie Signs Pty Ltd will be tried on two charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act in relation to the collapse at the Swanston Street site that killed three people last year.

      Defence barrister Nick Pappas told the court he was "gobsmacked" when prosecutors asked that the case against Aussie Signs be heard in the Supreme Court.

      Prosecutor Greg Lyon had two days earlier made an application to have a charge against co-accused Grocon Victoria Street Pty Ltd, an entity of building giant Grocon, heard in the Magistrates Court where the penalties are lower than if it were to be heard in the Victorian County Court.

      Grocon Victoria Street pleaded guilty to one charge of failing to ensure a safe workplace after the application was granted, and two charges each against two other Grocon entities were dropped.

      Dr Lyon, who prosecuted the case against Grocon Victoria Street on behalf of the Victorian WorkCover Authority, told the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday he had been instructed by the Director of Public Prosecutions to ask for the Aussie Signs trial to be committed to the Supreme Court.

      Aussie Signs Pty Ltd was contracted by site controller Grocon Victoria Street to attach advertising hoarding to the wall which the prosecution says increased the risk it would collapse, but did not cause it.

      Magistrate Charles Rozencwajg asked how the prosecution could call for the Aussie Signs matter to be heard in the Supreme Court when it had been willing to have the Grocon matter resolved in the Magistrates Court.

      Dr Lyon said the DPP felt the case was of sufficient importance to be heard in the Supreme Court.

      Teenage siblings Alexander and Bridget Jones, of Melbourne, and Frenchwoman Marie-Faith Fiawoo, 33, were killed when a 15-metre-long section of brick wall fell onto Swanston Street in the CBD in March last year.

      Mr Pappas formally entered pleas of not guilty to the two charges against Aussie Signs and opposed the submission for the matter to go to the higher court.

      Aussie Signs Pty Ltd will appear in the County Court on Monday for a directions hearing.

      A plea hearing will be held on Thursday for Grocon Victoria Street in the Melbourne Magistrates Court.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Featured Products

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Back in the late 90's, before i ended up buying the family business, my parents talked to several different business brokers.   it took nearly almost two years to find one that was trustworthy.  One just wanted to sell us a book about the history of the business, another couldn't get any interested buyers, some just want to put your business up on a website, etc.   I eventually bought the family business (still not sure if that was a good idea or not) and we worked out our own terms.   Plus there was no brokers commission.   One of my realtor customers is also a business broker and we're supposed to get together.  With COVID on the wane, I hope to meet him farily soon.  Maybe one of your customers is a broker as well as a realtor.   I suggest that you reach out to SCORE and get some free help.   SCORE is part of the SBA and it's all free and the people are eager to help you.   Eventually I am going to have to sell and have been doing monthly zoom meetings to go over that subject, plus lots of other "stuff".    I'm now 63 (and wish I had contacted SCORE thirty years ago) and figure I can afford to retire in another 35-40 years.  :)     Go to the SBA website and search for what you want and they'll match you with someone.   I'm in the local chamber of commerce and another business owner told me that it took him 3-4 years to make one of businesses "bankable" because most buyers don't have the cash to buy you outight.   They will have to go to a bank for a loan so all your books, inventory, etc. will have to be set up so a banker can understand your business and approve the loan.   I'm supposed to catch up with that guy and get more details but we never seem to be at the same meetings.   Again, SCORE will have people who can give you better information than "some sign-guy on the internet".     What I can say that I've been upgrading equipment, having things serviced professionally, keep the trucks on regular maintenence schedules, etc.    When I bought the business, most everything was old and run down but I was used to it and knew what needed to be replaced right away and what could stay.   No one will want a business where a lot of equipment is close to the end of it's useful life.   "New and Shiny" sells better than "old and dusty" even if the old stuff is better than the new.   Best of luck!
    • What's the best way to sell my 51 year old commercal sign business?   millersignsinc.com     Tanks,     Rob
    • I know Neon Wizard does
    • Hey Brian, I tried to get to the art room to ask our Flexi techs. But, it was a busy morning.   I know in Corel Draw if you have the text converted to curves. You can look in object properties at path and it will show the path length. Which is the distance around the letter plus inserts.
    • Thanks Rocco. I was able to find suppliers that would ship to us. But, we would be on our own for set up and training on the new machines.   We are going to send our fabricator to a couple of shops that have purchased from our prospective supplier and check out the equipment before we buy.   Thank you for taking the time to reply!
  • Create New...