Selling Corporate Chains - Big Fish
2 2

3 posts in this topic

I've owned my sign & neon company for over 10 years now. We have several clients with multiple locations. My business coach has been pushing me to actively prospect with small-to-medium sized chains. I have a pretty solid background in sales, but in 10+ years I haven't been able to crack this nut. The chains that have come to us have stayed with us, but I'd like to develop a more aggressive prospecting/marketing plan. Any ideas?

I know there are services that provide higher-level contact information - i.e. Manta.com, etc. I've tried going through the main corporate numbers of a few chains but the gatekeepers there tend to screen pretty well. I've hired (2) sales consultants that have taken my money and delivered nada. I'm sure there are others here that have figured this out.

1 person likes this

Sean,

I would start by looking into some regional trade shows where you could display, or even attend and network at.  ISCS, International Council of Shopping Centers - www.icsc.org is a good place to start.  

Keep in mind, these types of sales are difficult, often taking  a year or so to close a deal and most of the time involving some type of RFP. 

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Most of the nationals that I've studied seem to have started with that "one big break" getting in with a large chain. From there they make contacts with their purchasing agents....who like most employees these days tend to change companies throughout their careers.

Those contacts take positions at other companies which opens the door for those accounts.

So ultimately your point of contact you want to reach are the purchasing/procurement agents.....those are the ones who issue the RFPs/RFQs....

Tough market for sure....retail is a dying industry.....less fish in the sea for the big nationals to fight over right now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2

• Similar Content

• By Elrod Engineering LLC
      Inside sales position - Nashville, TN with 3 years of experience in sign industry selling to National retail accounts and national / regional / local sign companies.
      Hours are M-F
      40 - 50 hours a week
      Compensation: Negotiable depending on experience.
      No phone calls!
      Reply to eac@elrodllc.com  Job description is attached for further detail.
      Sales position description.docx
    • By Skyline Sign
      Skyline Signs in Myrtle Beach,SC is seeking an veteran estimator that has experience in the following:

-Searching through construction documents for possible Signage manufacturing opportunities. 
      -Exploring online construction plan rooms. (Such as Bid Clerk or Dodge Report)
      -Local & Government bid solicitations. 
      -Studying Interior/Exterior/Ada Sign proposals, blueprints, specifications and other related documents. 
      -Knowledge of the sign Manufacturing industry. 

Interested parties: Please submit your resume to travis@skylinesignsusa.com or call 843-465-2664
    • By Electro Signs and Design
      We are hiring an experienced sign repairer and installer. Pay is based on experience level.  We are a small business that is rapidly expanding, based out of Blaine MN. We are looking for a motivated individual that gets the job done with little hesitation and guidence needed. We offer paid travel time and room for advancment as our company grows. Company bucket truck is supplied. Full-time position is being offered. Please submit resume with brief description of why you should be considered for this position.
      Thank you and we look forward to all applicants. 

Job Type: Full-time

Required experience:
      Signage Installing: 3 years

• By NWWsigns
      Northwest Sign & Design is seeking a highly-motivated sales professional to develop regional accounts in North King and Snohomish counties. Northwest Sign is a high-end design and build sign company specializing in architectural and electrical projects. We have served our clients with integrity for 25 years and have a great reputation in the industry.

The ideal candidate will a consultative sales approach and the confidence to network and sell at the senior level. Sign sales experience is preferred but related construction sales experience with a proven track record is required.

Candidates should have:
      Proficient computer skills.
      Exceptional communication skills.
      The knowledge, confidence, and drive to generate new leads through networking and cold calling.
      Sign Experience preferred.

Compensation to include salary plus commission

Paid vacation, bonuses, and medical.

Join our highly-committed team – send your resume to apply.

https://www.nwsigns.com/form/careers