ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

routers

• Board Patron
2 hours ago, Lareina Saindon said:

ok, so I have decided on my channel letter bender now I need recommendations on routers. What is everyone using and why did you choose that machine? We are a regional sign shop that is full service. Been here since 1979. Don't want a junk machine that is slow but don't wanna spend 100,000 either. Thanks!

We have a 6x18 CLN and are very happy with it.  They can build to your needs and size needs.  

I bought a Shopbot CNC back in 2005 and have been VERY happy since.  The newer models are even better.

A couple things to consider to add into cost.

Does your building have the power requirements in whatever you choose, 240 or 3-phase spindles.  For dust collection as well as a vacuum table for hold down.

Cost or running electrical as well as wiring.

Always buy a bigger table than what you think you can use, this is a wish every CNC buyer always falls short on after a short time of use.  When they bought a 4'x8' for example, a 5x10 for 6x12 made more sense.

• Like 1

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

We just ordered our 4th Multicam.  84x144 bed with tool changer and so on. Just under a 100k with vacuum pump.   All of our machines are Multicam.  Was at another big shop a few weeks ago and they have 6.  Ours run 8+ hours a day.   Anything less is a hobby machine.  By the best and only cry once.

• Like 1

I agree, buy bigger than you think you need. I have an AXYZ and he has been bullet proof so far. I had it 11 years. Still runs great and used everyday. Vacuum hold down is a must if you are doing production work. You get better material yield and and you don't have to baby sit as much.

Buy someone's used smooth rolling bed with spindle, and do what I've done for others. Get Mach 3 and a system from C&CNC https://www.candcnc.com/product-category/plug-n-run-systems/routermill-systems/

Edited by JonathanSchaudt
Misspelling

On 10/16/2017 at 4:02 PM, Lareina Saindon said:

ok, so I have decided on my channel letter bender now I need recommendations on routers. What is everyone using and why did you choose that machine? We are a regional sign shop that is full service. Been here since 1979. Don't want a junk machine that is slow but don't wanna spend 100,000 either. Thanks!

Just remember one thing tools are tools and you get what you pay for, Go with the company that's been in the market a long time! they well have the best support and knowledge of there equipment.

Tools cost money and if you don't plan on making a lot of money with the Router as a tool 10-20-30 times 100,000 .00 don't buy one.

Multi cam we chose because we could build the business on there product line.

AXYZ, now they have different lines, start from $30+K for good size.

And yes, it's immortal.

P.S. Interface best one

Edited by unrollit

12 minutes ago, unrollit said:

AXYZ, now they have different lines, start from $30+K for good size.

And yes, it's immortal.

P.S. Interface best one

Interesting, I do know a whole sale production shop that use to use them, Ill call them up to see if they still do? and ask their opinion on the product. Mchenery Industries would of had it for at lease 20 yrs.

Ed

• Board Patron

We purchased a used Multicam a couple years ago to replace an old AXYZ machine we were using since 2003.  It is a 5x10 Multicam 5000 series.  Thing is awesome.  Big and heavy, tool changer, 11 hp spindle with vacuum hold down.  Had the Multicam guys install their digital print registration system for cutting sheets we print on our flatbed.  Very happy with the machine.

34 minutes ago, bowtievega said:

We purchased a used Multicam a couple years ago to replace an old AXYZ machine we were using since 2003.  It is a 5x10 Multicam 5000 series.  Thing is awesome.  Big and heavy, tool changer, 11 hp spindle with vacuum hold down.  Had the Multicam guys install their digital print registration system for cutting sheets we print on our flatbed.  Very happy with the machine.

We Did the Same I bought the Gerber 608 because I wanted there experience in the sign business knowledge, Bits , Speeds Feeds, service etc. but payed handsomely for it, It did not let us down by no means we just wore it out!  We have the multi cams also  5x10 and the bigger one those machines rock!

Bought a MultiCam 3000 with tool changer and it has been a great machine.  See some cheap crappy machines listed above and I would stay away from.  We bought a Precix machine so we have lived the crappy machine experience and it is not worth it.

Hi Rene, since you decided on the best channel letter bender available.  The Super ChannelBender XP from SDS / Adams Tech, it will need a solid router to keep up with it.  Based on what I see all over the US and Canada Multicam or AXYZ are the go-to brands.  Don't look at anything smaller than 5' x 10'.  If you go 4' x 8' you'll regret it.  Get a tool changer and vacuum hold down also.  You'll need vacuum hold down for cutting faces accurately enough to work with our Trimless LetterForm coil and tool changers just make life so much easier....and faster.

• Board Patron
7 hours ago, ChannelBender1 said:

Hi Rene, since you decided on the best channel letter bender available.  The Super ChannelBender XP from SDS / Adams Tech, it will need a solid router to keep up with it.  Based on what I see all over the US and Canada Multicam or AXYZ are the go-to brands.  Don't look at anything smaller than 5' x 10'.  If you go 4' x 8' you'll regret it.  Get a tool changer and vacuum hold down also.  You'll need vacuum hold down for cutting faces accurately enough to work with our Trimless LetterForm coil and tool changers just make life so much easier....and faster.

I agree with the exception of get a 6' table.  We end up cutting a fair amount of work for other shops that cant go above 4 or 5 feet wide.   If you want to wait until Jan we are selling one of our older 5x10 Multicams to upgrade to a new 7x12 Multicam Apex

• Board Patron

We have the Gerber router.  It is amazing.  Only problem right now is it got hit by lightening and we have to have it repaired.  But has been a beast and worth every penny until now!

• Board Patron
16 hours ago, Sign Lady said:

We have the Gerber router.  It is amazing.  Only problem right now is it got hit by lightening and we have to have it repaired.  But has been a beast and worth every penny until now!

I do know shops that have Gerber and they also seem to like them.  I only worry that Gerber came into the sign Biz like a lion with cutting edge technology 10-20 years ago and has not made any move forward since and everyone else has passed them by.  

On a second note none of these brands and others will not run without need of service.  IMHO that is the key a 100 grand machine sitting is useless.  I want parts the next day  or the software glitch fixed in almost real time.  

• Board Patron

We have a CLN 6x18.  it was hit with lightening as well.  We overnighted the motherboard to CLN of South Florida and they overnighted it back to us the next day.  We have been very pleased with their product.  

• Board Patron
24 minutes ago, UFB Fabrication said:

I do know shops that have Gerber and they also seem to like them.  I only worry that Gerber came into the sign Biz like a lion with cutting edge technology 10-20 years ago and has not made any move forward since and everyone else has passed them by.  

On a second note none of these brands and others will not run without need of service.  IMHO that is the key a 100 grand machine sitting is useless.  I want parts the next day  or the software glitch fixed in almost real time.  

Yeah, I'm sure if I were looking today for one, I likely wouldn't do Gerber for the same reason.  I haven't researched them in a long time, but they were the router to buy when we bought ours.  We will probably eventually replace this one so all of this information is great to know!

• Board Patron
12 minutes ago, bnicely said:

We have a CLN 6x18.  it was hit with lightening as well.  We overnighted the motherboard to CLN of South Florida and they overnighted it back to us the next day.  We have been very pleased with their product.  

The problem with ours is we haven't been able to find anybody that will service the dang thing!!  So we don't even know what part we need.  I am sure Gerber would send the part if I knew which part I needed.  In the past we haven't had a problem finding somebody to service it.  But since some of these service companies split apart and or combined they stopped servicing Gerber and only service the newer stuff.

• Board Patron

We have had pretty exceptional service with Multicam so far.  We have the cell phone from the tech who installed our machine for us and he has proved extremely helpful in solving the issues that have come up with the machine.  Most of our issues have been software update related stuff on our controlling computer lol.  Stupid windows updates lol.  In regards to vacuum holdown our Multicam came with a 20 hp blower style vacuum.  We thought that was going to be great and replace the 10 hp Becker rotary pump vacuum we had been running with our old machine.  Got it hooked up and was not impressed.  Didn't produce as much vacuum as our Becker did.  Swapped out the blower pump for our old Becker and was much more happy with the performance.  I guess the blower produces more volume then the rotary vane pumps but just not as high of a vacuum.  I prefer the Becker pump, also smaller, more quiet and uses less power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Patron
On 10/17/2017 at 2:20 PM, Erik Sine said:

I bought a Shopbot CNC back in 2005 and have been VERY happy since.  The newer models are even better.

A couple things to consider to add into cost.

Does your building have the power requirements in whatever you choose, 240 or 3-phase spindles.  For dust collection as well as a vacuum table for hold down.

Cost or running electrical as well as wiring.

Always buy a bigger table than what you think you can use, this is a wish every CNC buyer always falls short on after a short time of use.  When they bought a 4'x8' for example, a 5x10 for 6x12 made more sense.

If buying today would you buy a shopbot again?   

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Absolutely.  It does exactly what I need, and more for the $$$$

Others have more bells and whistles, which you can add to s SB too.  One of the biggest reasons why I purchased a SB is because the SB community is large, very active (meets and camps)  and always expand on ideas and support.  As far as Tech Support for Shop Bot, I can't ask for anything more.

Each machine has their pros and cons, SB will do what I want for the money

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

OK   I have been kicking around the idea of getting one.    Didn't want to spend a huge amount on first one.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg