I think you have a pretty good site going here, even thou I am one of the lurkers , I still like to come over and read the new post.
As for your questions, and these are just MY opinions.( and do not reflect the opinions of the management, etc...............)
1. There are way more people in the vinyl aspect of the industry and when you have more people you have more involvement in forums such as this one
Anybody can open a vinyl shop and with minimal knowledge of the industry operate it. ( not that they are going to be profitable) We compete against these
type of businesses all the time just to watch them lowball an electrical sign job and then have to sub it out because they don't have the expierience to
2. The timing has nothing to do with it, this is the only medium that people can communicate without knowing the other person and freely and quickle exchange
ideas and information instantly. As far as the age factor, I don't think it really plays into it nowadays, young and old use the internet (some more freely than others). BTW I'm 48 and could not operate my business without the internet
3. Fear of spreading ideas should not factor into not participating , I for one like to show others in the industry what our company can do. Time constraints are
what keeps me away from forums such as this one.
4. I don't enjoy or have time for chat rooms ( just my opinion)
5. This industry has been around way to long to worry about anyboby closing it down, yes, there has and will continue to be changes in it but most are for the
good of the industry. We (the legit companys) need all the protection we can get from the fly-by-nighters, bootleggers, or whatever you want to call them and
a good majority of them are the vinyl jockeys who think they can make a quick buck by building a set of channel letters.
Don't know if this is what kind of answers you were looking for but I would like to see you continue with the site as it can be informative.
Keep up the good work