ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Chandler Signs

• Board Patron

We used to do a decent amount of work for Chandler.  The reason I'm posting this today is a designer/permit expediter I know just told me that Chandler is doing all the signs for the renovation of a local mall.   it's a pretty large one in Center City (aka "downtown" anywhere else) Philadelphia.   We had to part ways with Chandler recently, not because of problems with jobs or payments, but due to their new insurance company and the demands made.   They just went with Progressive insurance and now instead of the normal Auto insurance coverage (owner, hired, leased, etc.) they want us to insure ALL the vehicles on a site.   I spoke with my ins agent, and to get that one box checked would have doubled our auto policy cost.   Now I will be shopping around come June for a new agency, but I can see where insuring ALL vehicles on a site would be really expensive.   Especially at a site like the one in Phila.   Do I have to insure all of the cars that drive by the site too?   Naming a company as "additional insured" and getting the "waiver of subrogation" is bad enough, but this is too much.

How is someone supposed to insure all of the vehicles on a jobsite?   I've heard that Progressive does their best to never pay out any money in claims.  It all must go to pay for the commercials with FLO.  I guess that this is a ploy on their part to pass the buck to someone else.   Have any of you had similar experiences with Progressive or other insurance companies?   I hated to turn away a good customer but was forced to do this.  The PM even told me that they were losing subs by the truckload because of this new insurance coverage.

• Board Patron

So are your guys going directly to the jobsite in personal vehicles ?  Are not all company/work vehicles insured?  For example my personal truck may be on a jobsite with the purpose of hauling my ass only. I cant imagine they want to have the company to insure that. I would call your carrier to get clarification. Back when it was only me and my truck I had personal and a rider on delivered goods from the company.  I would bet your agent and carrier can find a quick fix for this.  If they cant I would also use this as a opportunity to shop my Ins carriers which includes Liability and workcomp. My agent shops EVERY renewal. 

• Board Patron

I'm only talking about company trucks, all completely covered by our insurance.   IIRC it's a $1mil auto plus an $2mil umbrella.  While I don't claim to be completely fluent in "insuranceeeese" I was told by my agent that their ins company wants us to insure ALL of the vehicles on a jobsite, not just our truck.   I guess that they want us to cover everyone else in case they smash each other and blame us for being on the same continent.   IDK.   My agent told me it would double the auto component of my business policy.   Chandler was a good customer but didn't give us THAT much work.   I have an independent insurance agent who has yet to steer me wrong, though I guess those things happen to the best of them.

While there have been a couple of times in the past few years where we had a long term project and guys would drive to the site instead of the shop, that is far from the norm.   I really wish we did more of those because they are always quite profitable.   Usually we drive to a site, install the signs and leave.   We occasionally spend two/three days at a site, but almost never leave the truck(s) there overnight.

• !llumenati

We have this coverage from our Insurance Companies for many years.  The part of the policy is " Hired Vehicles and all non owned vehicles "
Which can be issued under the Automobile Insurance Policy or the General Liability Policy "  I have had it listed under both policies at times.

Who ever gave the best pricing on it.   The cost is not that much extra.
It includes the vehicles that your employees drive to the work site. Occasionally, not expected to or normally as part of their job.
You need to ask for it and get the correct information concerning what is covered and what is expected to be insured that you are responsible for 

We do not insure every vehicle that is on the job site or the Hot Dog truck that comes to the job site.  No one does or is expected to do it.

You need to get an Insurance Broker who specializes in Construction and also the Sign Business. One who knows what we do and what is needed

• Board Patron

I agree with Paul.  I think your agent may be misinterpreting what they are asking for??  Simply because he/she may not understand the sign industry & what we do.  It's rare to find one that does understand it though.  Especially in a small market like mine.  I don't think Chandler would require you to insure every vehicle on the job site.  But there is another way around what they are asking for if that is what they are asking for.  My guys very rarely drive their personal vehicles to a job site, but they have before and in the cases that they have, I always get them to park in a big box store parking lot & then I pick them up & take them to the job site.  Most folks/owners you work for frown upon having a ton of vehicles on the job site anyway - mostly for space reasons & not having to shuffle them around all day when they get in the way - having to do the shuffle multiple times a day also causes lost time from the work you are doing - have to shuffle to get them out of the paver's way in the morning - then the brick mason's way in the afternoon. That has been my experience anyway. There is always a work around with these kinds of things these Nationals are coming up with these days.  Then you can honestly tell your insurance company that your employees do not drive their vehicles to job sites.  Ever!

• Board Patron

TBH, I think that it is possible that my agent misunderstood what was requested.   My ins agency was bought out by another company and we had "issues" with them for a while.   Missing COI's, delays in getting COI's sent out, no call backs, etc.  it's gotten much better but I'm still checking around for another ins agency.  I'll run it by them again and see if I get a different answer.    However, sometimes these ins companies have really weird policies.  

• Board Patron
1 minute ago, Rocco said:

TBH, I think that it is possible that my agent misunderstood what was requested.   My ins agency was bought out by another company and we had "issues" with them for a while.   Missing COI's, delays in getting COI's sent out, no call backs, etc.  it's gotten much better but I'm still checking around for another ins agency.  I'll run it by them again and see if I get a different answer.    However, sometimes these ins companies have really weird policies.  

Yes, and getting weirder by the day!  I think they sit around all day and come up with new ways every day to charge us more money simply because we go above 6' in the air!  LOL