ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Now this is really funny

Just heard a news story that LED traffic lights are causing traffic accidents!!!!

The reason - they are running too cool in areas where it snows. The lights are not melting the snow!!!

So they save energy but now the modifications that need to be made to add heaters are going to raise the power bill and raise the maintenance cost.

Now that is just funny.

I've heard the same thing about truck tail lights. I don't think "heater" is necessarily the right phrase, but some sort of 12V element that works like the rear defogger on a car would do the trick.

It could be a clear decal that goes over the existing lamps that has a couple of lines of conductive wire to warm up the face of the lamp, and connect to the same pair of leads that go to the lamps. Future designs could/should include this as an integral part of the finished lamp, but for the next few years it's possible they figure out some sort of retrofit kit to create a little heat.

It will be the same thing when LEDs start making huge moves into residential lighting. The energy saved by the lamp will be partially offset by increased heating requirements, since existing halogen and/or incandescent light bulbs generate a lot more heat.

In the summer though, cooling costs would also be lower, so there it would balance out the costs of added heating during the winter.

I've heard the same thing about truck tail lights. I don't think "heater" is necessarily the right phrase, but some sort of 12V element that works like the rear defogger on a car would do the trick.

It could be a clear decal that goes over the existing lamps that has a couple of lines of conductive wire to warm up the face of the lamp, and connect to the same pair of leads that go to the lamps. Future designs could/should include this as an integral part of the finished lamp, but for the next few years it's possible they figure out some sort of retrofit kit to create a little heat.

It will be the same thing when LEDs start making huge moves into residential lighting. The energy saved by the lamp will be partially offset by increased heating requirements, since existing halogen and/or incandescent light bulbs generate a lot more heat.

In the summer though, cooling costs would also be lower, so there it would balance out the costs of added heating during the winter.

Most of the 12V elements you are talking about are 12VDC and not 12VAC - they will have some major corrosion issues with those. This is not a simple problem - trust me I have heard about this in so much details it is very humorous.

we are a supplier of LED bulbs to Pulte Homes and they came up with other ways to solve that problem - has to do with the vent sizes you use in a home - if you just decrease them slightly you can use less overall heat that is being directed much better.

As for plumbing and pool power - guy at Pulte increased diameter of piping and decreased power to run pool by 70%.

Pulte is years ahead of Energy Star and GE on solving energy issues - problem is that real estate appraisers dont see the value of these things and the cost to do them is higher than normal average homes.

• !llumenati

While it is funny, it's a classic example of the Law Of Unintended Consequences. Applies to a lot of stuff these days. (Another classic example is low flow toilets. Now cities have to spend a lot of time and money sending water trucks ['Camels'] around to flush down the sewer lines. And no, they don't use 'recycled' water to do this - just fresh fire hydrant fill...)

Of course, money will fix the problem. Add intelligent heaters to the traffic signals that warm them only in near or below freezing conditions. In general, a thermistor, a comparator, and a power transistor on a heat sink ought to do the trick. Now integrate that into a single chip, and add it to the LED lamp assemblies that go in the traffic signals.

"Freedom has ceased to be a birthright; it has come to mean whatever we are still permitted to do" - Joe Sobran

I was tired yesterday, I'm tired today, and I'll be retired tomorrow - TD