ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Video signs distracting to drivers

Erik Sine

Township may amend ordinance to prohibit them

By Sharon Stone

Published: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:33 PM EST

Fenton Twp. — Township officials are considering a proposed amendment for its sign regulation ordinance, which focuses on digital signs. If the proposed ordinance amendment were adopted, full-motion video signs would be prohibited. The township board is also considering the addition of a few provisions to the ordinance.

 If adopted, the ordinance says that digital signs in residential or agricultural zoning districts or within 1,000 feet of a residential district would have to be turned off from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., and signs cannot use red as the predominant color in their display. At a distance, the use of red could be confused with emergency lights.

 If adopted, the light intensity of digital signs must be automatically reduced at night to compensate for the greater contrast created by the reduction in background lighting.

 The frequency of changes in displays would have to be limited to not more than once every minute in commercially-zoned districts and not more than once every hour in residential or agricultural areas. Displays and transitions between displays cannot include any flashing or moving text or graphics.

 The limitation on the frequency of sign changes does not apply to signs or portions of signs displaying time and temperature.

  When asked about the illuminated digital sign, which displays bright red lights, at Lake Fenton High School, John Tucker, treasurer and chairman of the Planning Commission said, “That sign lives in a world of its own.”

 Tucker said the township does not have authority over the sign, however, it would be asking the district to consider turning the sign off, overnight.

 Supervisor Bonnie Mathis said Lake Fenton school district is exempt from this ordinance and added that the township would speak to school officials about the sign. She said there have been complaints about the red lights used and the intensity of the lights.

 Tucker said the underlying reason to prohibit the full-motion video signs; similar to the one along northbound I-75, near Bristol Road, and the addition of several provisions, is that these types of signs could be too distracting to motorists. “That digital sign (on I-75) catches your eye. It’s very dangerous and not good for driving.”

 Lake Fenton Community Schools Superintendent Ralph Coaster said, “We have always worked together with the township and would certainly consider a voluntary compliance.”

 A second reading of the proposed ordinance will be held on Monday, Dec. 21, at which time the board is expected to take action.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

Township may amend ordinance to prohibit them

By Sharon Stone

Published: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:33 PM EST

Fenton Twp. — Township officials are considering a proposed amendment for its sign regulation ordinance, which focuses on digital signs. If the proposed ordinance amendment were adopted, full-motion video signs would be prohibited. The township board is also considering the addition of a few provisions to the ordinance.

 If adopted, the ordinance says that digital signs in residential or agricultural zoning districts or within 1,000 feet of a residential district would have to be turned off from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., and signs cannot use red as the predominant color in their display. At a distance, the use of red could be confused with emergency lights.

 If adopted, the light intensity of digital signs must be automatically reduced at night to compensate for the greater contrast created by the reduction in background lighting.

 The frequency of changes in displays would have to be limited to not more than once every minute in commercially-zoned districts and not more than once every hour in residential or agricultural areas. Displays and transitions between displays cannot include any flashing or moving text or graphics.

 The limitation on the frequency of sign changes does not apply to signs or portions of signs displaying time and temperature.

  When asked about the illuminated digital sign, which displays bright red lights, at Lake Fenton High School, John Tucker, treasurer and chairman of the Planning Commission said, “That sign lives in a world of its own.”

 Tucker said the township does not have authority over the sign, however, it would be asking the district to consider turning the sign off, overnight.

 Supervisor Bonnie Mathis said Lake Fenton school district is exempt from this ordinance and added that the township would speak to school officials about the sign. She said there have been complaints about the red lights used and the intensity of the lights.

 Tucker said the underlying reason to prohibit the full-motion video signs; similar to the one along northbound I-75, near Bristol Road, and the addition of several provisions, is that these types of signs could be too distracting to motorists. “That digital sign (on I-75) catches your eye. It’s very dangerous and not good for driving.”

 Lake Fenton Community Schools Superintendent Ralph Coaster said, “We have always worked together with the township and would certainly consider a voluntary compliance.”

 A second reading of the proposed ordinance will be held on Monday, Dec. 21, at which time the board is expected to take action.

I have talked with the township attorney and supervisor, they are reconsidering some of the ideas, I also let the school know that there is a dimming feature that thay have not been using in the WatchFife Ignite program they are using.(one of our signs)

I would agree with the city on this issue. The few new signs I have seen with this new technology are way too bright and can ruin the night vision of drivers. In addition the moving images can distract them from the road and concentrating on driving. I would advocate a middle of the road solution by limiting the size and lumen output of these signs.

I would agree with the city on this issue. The few new signs I have seen with this new technology are way too bright and can ruin the night vision of drivers. In addition the moving images can distract them from the road and concentrating on driving. I would advocate a middle of the road solution by limiting the size and lumen output of these signs.

• 3 months later...

I live in Las Vegas and not only do we have digital billboards, we have digital video billboards and the owners of the billboards are now cramming as many messages as they can on them. The first time I was traveling on the highway and the billboard changed messages I had to stop and take a double take!! I find them very distracting. Don't we have enough information overload on our roads both within the city and between cities and states?? There are a couple of billboards within the city that when stopped for a red light one begins to sit and look at the messages and not at the traffic light - has left me in an embarrassing situation when people start honking because I have not gone yet tongue.gif.

Guess I should have read the news a little further !