ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

‘Dark sky policy’ affects lights, signs"

Erik Sine

‘Dark sky policy’ affects lights, signs"

Karen Brainard

Ramona Sentinel

High school civics students learned about the county’s “dark sky policy” while attending the Ramona Design Review Board’s meeting as a class assignment.

The dark sky policy was brought up twice during the meeting while board members reviewed a site plan for the Ramona Seventh Day Adventist Church and discussed the Kentucky Fried Chicken illuminated bucket pole sign.

The church plans, which called for replacing an old manufactured building with a new manufactured building on the church property, included outside lights. Board members said the lights had to be down-shielded due to the dark sky policy, which member Rob Lewallen explained was because of the Palomar Observatory.

Outdoor lights that shine up can impact astronomical research at the observatory. Lewallen said the policy pertains to businesses and residences.

Board Chair Carole Wylie said the Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket, when lit, does not meet the dark sky policy. The board has notified the tenant of the KFC building that the bucket sign is in violation of the board’s guidelines and should be removed.

Ches Bushey, who leases the building to the KFC franchisee, attended the board meeting to see what could be done to comply with the design review board’s guidelines. Bushey said his tenants reported a 10 to 15 percent drop in business when the bucket wasn’t lit for a couple of weeks.

“Our requirements aren’t conditional as to whether they’re selling so much product,” said Wylie.

Bushey noted that the tenant put in over $100,000 worth of remodeling. However, board member Chris Anderson said, the remodeling plans were altered after they were presented to the board. Besides the bucket, Anderson said there are other signs and banners that were not approved. Board member Carol Close said the board approved lighting for the parking lot but the tenant never installed it.

Although it was mentioned there are some businesses with signs that are not in conformance, Wylie explained to students that, when an existing business comes to the board with changes, the business then has to comply with the board’s guidelines. Such guidelines help to make Main Street more presentable, she said.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...
  • !llumenati

Driving around at night from city to city thinking about all those dark sky A holes I thought of something.

They are so concerned about "signs" creating to much "light pollution". Well Have you ever looked at a city or even a town at night from a distance? They want to change the direction of the lights to shine on the ground so they can get a better look at the stars, well they have a bigger problem. All the street lights and parking lot lights do just as they want and the reflected light off the blacktop and concrete create the glow they are talking about.

My peronal opinion is that if they want to look at the stars, Go to the Fn desert or on top of a mountain and stare at the sky. I think they are a bunch of dumb ass' that have nothing better to do.

Just my .02

GOOD things happen for a reason......

Driving around at night from city to city thinking about all those dark sky A holes I thought of something.

They are so concerned about "signs" creating to much "light pollution". Well Have you ever looked at a city or even a town at night from a distance? They want to change the direction of the lights to shine on the ground so they can get a better look at the stars, well they have a bigger problem. All the street lights and parking lot lights do just as they want and the reflected light off the blacktop and concrete create the glow they are talking about.

My peronal opinion is that if they want to look at the stars, Go to the Fn desert or on top of a mountain and stare at the sky. I think they are a bunch of dumb ass' that have nothing better to do.

Just my .02

Now Sean you know they can't shove their agenda down your throat from the fn desert. By the way how was the fishing while you were here ?

• !llumenati

Did great, got me a 130lb tarpon, big sharks and a lot of trout.

Ya know all that "light pollution" is actually good. It's nice to see White lights on the beach so you can see when the sharks get close enough to grab by the tail, You can also hide the brew when the patrol comes by as well. I asked some locals about the lights effecting the turtles and they told me that they get back to the water just fine, They also said that the fishing is great when the baby turtles start getting in the water.

Dark Skies is about saving turtles - ask about amber lighting with the scientist involved and they will tell you it is about not affecting gazing at stars

Even with Luxor hotel in Las Vegas night skies are great

Dark Skies is about saving turtles - ask about amber lighting with the scientist involved and they will tell you it is about not affecting gazing at stars

Even with Luxor hotel in Las Vegas night skies are great

Saving Turtles? How arrogant should we be to assume certain animals need saving?.......Does mother nature not select which should live and which should die? We are here for a purpose too I assume?

I'm sure the scientists you speak of are the same that say we, create global warming....please!

• !llumenati

The dark-sky movement is a campaign by people who want to reduce light pollution so people can see the stars, to reduce the effects of unnatural lighting on the environment, and to cut down on energy usage. "This is from Wilkapedia"

As for the turtles, They are buried under the sand in the egg, When they hatch it could be anytime.. They are naturally attracted to the water. Actually I was talking to a friend lst night and the snapper come off the reefs and congegate in the surf when they hatch and have a field day on the little tidbits.

The Luxor shoots a beam into the air and is not radiant light, Of cource it will not effect looking at the stars.