ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Moving Big Block Of Cement?

derf

I have a customer who want to see if I can get this monument moved up or set in a new place on the property.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for some one to move this behemoth thing?

That other option is to re landscape or retro fit this sign to add something to the top.

I don't rely want to deal with this but I'd like to give her a solution.

post-403-1170778959.jpg

That looks like it would be a hell of a footing to dig up along with the surface weight. That will be some crane. That monument was most likely build on site.

DEMO!!! :jackhammer:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I'm not sure if I understand the problem exactly, Derf. Does your customer want it raised? We just removed three 8'x10'x5" vertical concrete slabs from a pole sign using an outside contractor with a 30 ton (I think) crane. We calculated the weight of each slab to be 5800 lbs. Easier to remove than demolish imo. I'd be surprised if that sign is even fastened to the foundation. Why would you do it? I don't think it's going anywhere.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

The customer says tenants are complaining that their customers can't see the sign in it's current location. so she thought of moving it back a bit or adding something to the sign. She said no one likes the sign so she was just asking for solutions. I at least I figured I would explore the options she asked for however knowing full well the owner is not going to want to pony up to hire a construction crew to move that thing but He wants to know any way..

So I ask.

• !llumenati

I agree with Erik. The footing is probably 18" deep. You'll probably need backhoe and crane. Maybe close to $1k in equipment rentals. I wonder what their budget is. I guess it'd be cheaper than building a new sign.

I'm about to turn down a job kinda like this.

indian01.jpg

The monument sign behind my bike needs to be moved further back on the property due to downtown road expansion.

It consists of Aluminum panels attached to 2" marble slabs mounted to a cinder block core structure, which sits atop a 1' x 1' x 10' concrete footing, which is attached to the main footing and that is (according to the city) supposed to be 2' x 3' x 10'. Nevermind the amount of digging it would require to get under all that - most of the mortar for the cinder block core is deteriorated, the blocks are being held together by gravity and the marble slabs. It's an ugly job and I think I'm gonna have to pass.

But just out curiosity, does anybody (joemamma) want to take a stab at calculating how much this thing would weigh?

I'm about to turn down a job kinda like this.

indian01.jpg

The monument sign behind my bike needs to be moved further back on the property due to downtown road expansion.

It consists of Aluminum panels attached to 2" marble slabs mounted to a cinder block core structure, which sits atop a 1' x 1' x 10' concrete footing, which is attached to the main footing and that is (according to the city) supposed to be 2' x 3' x 10'. Nevermind the amount of digging it would require to get under all that - most of the mortar for the cinder block core is deteriorated, the blocks are being held together by gravity and the marble slabs. It's an ugly job and I think I'm gonna have to pass.

But just out curiosity, does anybody (joemamma) want to take a stab at calculating how much this thing would weigh?

13,123 3/8 lbs. plus or minus 1000 lbs., minus the aluminum. :P

Actually, I did calculate the volume of the concrete, block, and guesstimated the volume of the marble to come up with about 7 tons, which is probably good enough for bidding purposes.

IMO, the footer and foundation which lay beneath grade can just stay there, particularly in the example Derf gave. His looks like the whole area could use some fill anyway to bring it up to the level of the surrounding grade, but the fill should probably be at least 12" deep so the heat of summer doesn't kill the grass.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

13,123 3/8 lbs. plus or minus 1000 lbs., minus the aluminum. :P

Actually, I did calculate the volume of the concrete, block, and guesstimated the volume of the marble to come up with about 7 tons, which is probably good enough for bidding purposes.

IMO, the footer and foundation which lay beneath grade can just stay there, particularly in the example Derf gave. His looks like the whole area could use some fill anyway to bring it up to the level of the surrounding grade, but the fill should probably be at least 12" deep so the heat of summer doesn't kill the grass.

Thanks joemamma,

That pretty much seals the deal. My crane specs say I can lift 6 tons (in it's prime, which was back in the 80's); my pill on the line can only handle 3 tons. Add the fact that I don't think this thing could handle being moved without falling apart and costing me $$$ in the long run.

They are just gonna have to pony up and spend the money on Demo and building a new sign.