ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

I saw the sign, have you?

Erik Sine

I saw the sign, have you?

By Heidi Cenac (Contact)

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Every week, well almost every week, I go by the Anderson County Development Standards Department to see if any new developments might be headed our way.

I normally skip over entries for sign permits when I’m skimming the project-listing book, but this week there were just too many to ignore.

I handed the book back to Debra LaGroone, one of the planning technicians, mentioning that there didn’t seem to be anything other than signs lately.

“Signs have been booming,” Ms. LaGroone said.

There were 113 sign permits filed in Anderson County in 2006 and about 17 filed already this year. Turns out the sign industry isn’t growing just here.

A study from “Signs of the Times” magazine shows a steady increase of economic growth in the sign industry over the past nine years. According to its report, the industry had grown from about $3 billion in sales in 1996 to more than $5 billion by 2004.

Local sign companies say their business ebbs and flows like any other industry. But it has remained steady through the Christmas season.

Some of the apparent increase might be a result of increased enforcement, they said. The City of Anderson hired Sherrie Williams as its zoning administrator in 2005. She’s spent most of her time since then making sure businesses get permits for temporary signs and don’t provide off-site advertising.

But Anderson County also is experiencing a substantial amount of commercial growth and that means big business for sign makers.

Half of a business’ customers learn about it from an on-premise sign, according to an International Sign Association survey. And on any given day 35 percent of the people passing by a business are seeing its sign for the first time.

“This is a booming area,” said Chad Ridgeway, operations manager at Electric City Signs & Neon Inc. “Everything you build needs a sign and a permit.”

Established businesses are getting new signs as well. When one company buys another, they have to adapt everything from their letterhead to the sign on the building. Others are changing their signs as technology advances.

Ryan Burnette of East Coast Signs and Lighting in Anderson said the technology available has changed tremendously in the past eight years compared to the past 28 years.

LED signs are one of the best examples. After running advertisements on the LED sign at SpeeDee Oil Change, Plant-It Nursery on S.C. 28 Bypass decided they wanted one to replace their wooden sign.

Since new sign went up, several people passing by have stopped to ask how long Plant-It Nursery has been there, Mr. Burnette said.

In case you’re wondering, it’s been 12 years.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Topics

• It depends on what's under the EIFS.   If it's plywood under the foam, then toggles are fine for a lightweight sign.  If masonry, we've come to like the titen HD (simpson strong tie brand) anchors or long wedge anchors.   The Titen HD screws are more user friendly than tapcons IMO.   They come in a variety of sizes, sometimes even at the big home centers.   Just check to see if it's densglass (fiberglass wall panels) under the foam.  Engineeners have told us that densglass isn't "structural" and that things need to be thru-bolted with uni-strut (or equal) sleepers across studs inside the wall.  A few years back, we were called out for an emergency call where someone had installed some large raceway channel letter signs to an EIFS wall that had densglass behind.  They used lag screws.  These held for a while but a heavy snow caused them to fail.   And toggles should work with Densglass but again not for any heavy loads.    In any case don't compress the foam too much.  A sleeve (mentioned above) would be needed for whatever the depth of the foam might be, though probably not needed for something light like an ACM panel.   if it's a really small sign, then appropriate exterior screws are usually OK going into plywood.  
    • Interested in neon manifold for my personal shop 484 862 6095 ask for Johnny
    • Are there any recommendations for the best types of anchors to use for lightweight signs on EIFS?  <a href=" https://www.phoenixstuccocontractor.com/"> Phoenix Stucco Contractors</a>
    • Hi   Can anyone tell me the right color red and blue translucent vinyl for the "new" Pepsi logo?  We have a local ice cream spot that recently changed from Coke to Pepsi and we have to replace the graphics on a couple of lit cabinets.   The customer sent me the logo in various formats but it didn't specify the correct colors.   I've searched but keep getting CYMK, etc. for the older logo - 2022 or so.   Thanks!