ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

What causes neon signs to emit a range of different colors?

Erik Sine

What causes neon signs to emit a range of different colors?

June 4, 2007

A neon sign is basically a glass tube with the air taken out of it and a small amount of neon put in. One puts wires at both ends and connects it to some high voltage to make a big spark, and that's about it. The color of the spark depends on the gas that it's in, and while a spark in air is sort of bluish purple, a spark in neon is a beautiful red.

There are very few other gases that make nice colors. Sodium vapor gives the yellow that you'll be familiar with from street lights (and which you can see by putting salt -- sodium chloride -- into a flame). Every other colored "neon" sign is a bit misnamed.

For most of the colors that you see in "neon" signs (the ones that are bent to spell out letters), almost all colors, including yellow, are produced indirectly. These "neon" signs are actually long fluorescent lamps. These work similarly, but instead of neon they have mercury vapor inside , which produces some visible light, but mostly a lot of invisible ultraviolet light. This light then strikes a fluorescent coating inside the tube that is chosen to produce the desired color.

It's quite easy to see the difference between a genuine neon sign and one of the fluorescent ones. The real neon sign tubes are just glass tubes with no coating inside. When they're lit you can see a long red glowing tube of gas inside through the clear glass walls of the tube. The fluorescent signs have coatings which stop you from seeing the inside glowing gas.

Check it out when you get a chance, but remember to keep fingers away, as there is often heat and dangerous high voltage involved!

Dr. Knowledge is written by physicists Stephen Reucroft and John Swain, both of Northeastern University. E-mail questions to drknowlege@globe.com or write Dr. Knowledge, c/o The Boston Globe, PO Box 55819, Boston, MA 02205-5819.

© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

extremely suprising since it came form the Boston Globe

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

:P

Gee, I didn't know high voltage was dangerous. Is that true? Or are you just trying to blow smoke up my ass again? I wonder why there are all those big high voltage transformers hanging all over the utility poles? Hmmm...

Are LED's dangerous too? Inquiring minds want to know!

Gee, I didn't know high voltage was dangerous. Is that true? Or are you just trying to blow smoke up my ass again?

Well, it certainly isn't sunshine I'm blowin' - but I thought the smiley made it pretty clear I was joking around - since high voltage is the other neon boogey man next no mercury.

Well, it certainly isn't sunshine I'm blowin'

I have to give you credit for finally admitting that you are "blowin'" something! :laughing1:

Sometimes I think I need to give you both 50 lbs. boxing gloves then insert you guys into an Octagon Arena