ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Looking for Feedback - Lighting in a different world

Axiom is developing a lighting system for 3rd world countries.

I wanted to take a quick survey to see how many people here knew or could add to this thread by telling me what benefits you think lighting a room in a home would bring to a 3rd world country.

Also - we are also looking for people that want to help us make these systems.

This is a good thread.

IMO, it's going to have to depend on what country. I think if were talking real, real poor dirt nothing communities and regions in Africa where we've tried to help giving food and money we find that the warlords steal that and sell it off,or use it to feed their mercs, we also find that shipments tend to rot away in the port.

If were talking countries located in the mid east or south America where there are no tribal or civil wars I think the benefit would be greater where there might not be a grid to plug into.

But now I'm curious on the next part, who would "pay" for something like this? What true benefit can be gained?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Do they already have access to an electrical grid? I would think if the grid was there they and they are connected now, they would have a small light at least. I guess I need more info. I am guilty of not knowing much other than what I see on cable news. Which is more entertainment than news anymore.

I applaud your efforts.

A solar powered lighting system using inexpensive 100LPW Nichia LEDs is very very low cost. Much less than you would ever imagine.

It is proven that lighting improves the education - kids can read at night. Another survey shows that population growth starts to slow - with the lights on...

Any other thoughts/concepts

I will add a bunch more at end of thread.

Solar now that's somethign I'm curious about. I've been meaning to drive to this horse stable which is part of the Marine base here close to where I live. I notice all parking lot lights are on their own dedicated solar array. But at night, the light is so dim, it appears as the actual light source is bright itself but it's not throwing the light, or dispersing it. I need to go by and find out what the sources is and if they are truly off the grid. I'd estimate to be around 100 lamps.

But now my next question, who will pay you for these. It would be a clever idea to promote this the same as orgs like UNICEF promote to feed the hungry children. But there would need to be good explanation why kids would need to read in the dark if there are no schools and education in the 3rd world, hense this is the reason why they are in the 3rd World.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I heard this great interview on National Public Radio about this eye doctor that setup a charity to sell very inexpensive eye glasses to third world countries. He set it up to train women in these 3rd world countries to make their own businesses selling the glasses...it has been a huge success. He also now sells the glasses in high end designer stores for $$$$$ and takes a big percentage of the profit and donates back to his charity.

I will find the article - very interesting approach.

We are envisioning the same with our solar lighting system - not given away but sold by local people for a very small amount.

The first demo we did was in Sri Lanka.

LUTW (Light Up The World) in Calgary has been doing this for years. http://www.lutw.org/

Also, I personally met with a different "agency" about 4 years ago to build some prototypes that went a different route than solar, because of the cost. What they did was put batteries and chargers onto bicycles - which everyone already owned and used - to generate 4-6 hours worth of illumination. We're not talking office brightness, but enough for children to read and study, for food to be prepared, etc - it's a significant addition to their daily lives and development. Another huge factor is the reduction in the use of fire (candles, kerosene, wood) as a light source and a consequent reduction in actual fires, which spread very quickly due to the nature of the structures themselves.

LUTW (Light Up The World) in Calgary has been doing this for years. http://www.lutw.org/

Also, I personally met with a different "agency" about 4 years ago to build some prototypes that went a different route than solar, because of the cost. What they did was put batteries and chargers onto bicycles - which everyone already owned and used - to generate 4-6 hours worth of illumination. We're not talking office brightness, but enough for children to read and study, for food to be prepared, etc - it's a significant addition to their daily lives and development. Another huge factor is the reduction in the use of fire (candles, kerosene, wood) as a light source and a consequent reduction in actual fires, which spread very quickly due to the nature of the structures themselves.

Light Up the World in Canada? The CEO of this company only went to 3rd world countries where he could mountain climb.

Cost on Solar is nowhere near what it use to be when they did this analysis.

Light Up the World in Canada? The CEO of this company only went to 3rd world countries where he could mountain climb.

Cost on Solar is nowhere near what it use to be when they did this analysis.

Dawg gone it YYZ, you closed the door on Manuels 'new and original idea' vibe. Shame, shame.

Manuel since you brought up that this ceo only went to countries that he could climb mountains, I wonder why you folks went to Sri Lanka?

TEastin