ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

need your advice please

Howdy all. I;ve been reading your posts in all forums available for a few months now and have devemoped a renewed respect for those of us who call ourselves sign-men/women. It's all too easy when consumed with your own day-to-day usual and customary duties and responsibilities to lose sight of the rich dynamics of thsi trade and the wealth of respectable individuals practicing it's various executions every day.

I;ve spent twenty years in this business. Started in the graphics production department as my dad taught me everything I needed to know to have a summer job with the family biz. Eventually worked my way through metal fab, paint, installation, service, engineering, sales, and ran the joint for the past seven years.

To make a long story non-existent, I found myself out of the game, wife and young kids and an unemployment check. Recently took a new career path with a sign supply distributor and am hoping for the best. This was at odds with doing what I really want to do, which is to fulfill my dream of advancing the family business to the next level, but here I am donning the khaki pants and polo emroidered with corporate logo and an assload of paperwork in trade of my work boots, torn jeans and ball cap.

So to the question I would like to ask of my people (I consider myself as "sign-people", and always will). Do I have an advantage as "sign-people" in this role with you all out there, or am I just another guy walking into your shop at the worst possible time prompting you to immediately review your short list of excuses to get rid of the "sales guy"?

Your honest feedback and ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the experience out on the field working in the sign industry, I'd rather talk to you. I like to relate to vendors, and the probability that I will hear the usual BS Selling Points from some one like you is less to none. I think anyone can appreciate the idea of talking to someone who has experience in what they are selling. I think reps who were once in the industry are rare.

I think what you have is a plus.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati
If you have the experience out on the field working in the sign industry, I'd rather talk to you. I like to relate to vendors, and the probability that I will hear the usual BS Selling Points from some one like you is less to none. I think anyone can appreciate the idea of talking to someone who has experience in what they are selling. I think reps who were once in the industry are rare.

I think what you have is a plus.

Definitely a plus----------now if, as a salesman, you can maintain that honesty, and you are working with a responsible supplier-----------you stand a good chance.

gn

I can tell you that as a supply-side guy now, I get a much longer leash and more willing listener when they know/learn I have been on the design and production side of things. Being able to talk shop is not only valuable to your new employer but also your potential customers. They know your approach will be to "help them" instead of "sell them" and that will be appreciated and likely rewarded. They have to buy from someone so if you earn their respect, it will help.

Make sure that no matter what sales quotas or strategies your employer implements, you still walk through the door as a sign guy first, salesman second.

Hopefully your market and your employer allow you to earn a good (or great) living - good luck.

Thanks guys. I figured that would be the case for most, but just because that's how I would feel about the same situation doesn't mean it's a universal truth.

I have a lot of respect for the supplier - N. Glantz - and we have been buying from them for almost forty years (see I'm still referring to "we" as my father, the guys, and including myself). I think most sign shops I'll visit will also have a measurable amount of respect for this supplier as well. Nonetheless, it's getting past that first hurdle of appearing to be just exactly what I'll be...a salesman. Dressed like a salesman, handing out a catalog and promotional flyers...must be a salesman. So I'll take your collective advice and maintain what will already be my best self - which is a sign guy - and hope that clears the air of any uncomfortable stereotypical pangs of rejection or hard-sell expectations.

I'm excited to have the opportunity to peek into the worlds of literally a hundred other sign companies, to see more, learn more, and experience as much as I can. Most importantly, I hope to become an asset and maintain myself as a collegue, and make some friends along the way.

Anything else you wish to contribute of your opinions or advice is welcome, and will help me create myself as the best salesman I can be (maybe even help develop this supplier as the best there is to the sign craft). Soon I also intend to get involved with my state sign association and pursue my passion for restrictive sign ordinance and code reform. No doubt a thread on that topic is endless.

Keep your opinions coming. Tell me what it is you wish you had from your suppliers that would best serve your operation, save you time and hassle, and would indirectly help your own bottom lines.

Thanks much and best regards,

Mike

• !llumenati

Well, you've aligned yourself with a respectible supplier. I wish that Glantz would come to the Chicago area-----------. The best that I ever dealt with was Interstate Electric out of Commerce, Calif. Being in Phoenix, I could order from them at 5PM, and have at my door step the next morning by 9AM ----- long before the local houses ever hit the streets. And terrific support came with it------------

gn

Well, you've aligned yourself with a respectible supplier. I wish that Glantz would come to the Chicago area-----------. The best that I ever dealt with was Interstate Electric out of Commerce, Calif. Being in Phoenix, I could order from them at 5PM, and have at my door step the next morning by 9AM ----- long before the local houses ever hit the streets. And terrific support came with it------------

gn

Actually Gary, N.Glantz does deliver to the Chicago area out of their Milwaukee location, and likely free of charge. I know from this warehouse, the deliveries go to three states at least once a week. I always had a good amount of respect for these guys having known some of them since I was a kid, but now that I'm working with them, I see they work hard to meet the needs of their customers every day. So-to-say, if the Milwaukee branch does as well, you should have a rep to contact there that would take care of you. You can get the branch managers name and contact info off of the N.Glantz website.

• !llumenati

I know they deliver to Chicago-----------thanks. What I mean is ------- to be here in Chicago. I've know Dave Glantz a longgggggg time ------ an area the size of Chicago should be home to a major player.

gn

dont let sign companie,s get too deep in debt with you, call john sullivan at sun supply in port oregon he wont lie to you,he started out the same way you did,now he is the top sign supplier on the west coast,tell mr lindley eagleton send ya