ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Ignore Him

Erik Sine

I've been keeping up with a thread that I've been going back and forth with in The Signs Of The Times, Linked In Group.

Thought I'd post it here for everyone's entertainment. What I think is funny, IS, those people are not use to getting "in your face" responses from their readers or anyone else. They are used to picking and choosing who they THINK or who they FEEL should be published in their "Letters to the Editor". The Social Media is a whole new ball game for them.

A few of you here have been following it and messaged me. But here it is below.

Susan Conner

Senior Editor at ST Media Group International

Neon will be featured in the August issue of Signs of the Times. What are some issues you'd like to see addressed in the article? Also, let us know about recent neon projects.

Erik G

The Sign Syndicate.com Administrator

How REALLY efficient it truly is?

How it's been MIS-characterized?

How GREEN it is, this faddy term seems to get thrown around a lot in talking about other light sources by the usual industry outlets.

How you can RE-retrofit, very inexpensively and with better phosphor coated lamps, making it both light & energy efficient.

Respondent A

Interesting, we are replacing all the Neon (and the expensive, dangerous transformer) with LED.

Erik G

Unfortunately, what's not interesting is the cheap trinket brochure, marketing claims, & statements that come from those who manufacture & wholesale LED's that portray the CCFL industry as, "dangerous, and expensive". This is called, "MIS-characterization", something that needs to be addressed. I applaud you for bringing that up.

I think what Susan's looking for however, is feedback that ONLY comes from the people who actually have "real life" and "hands on" experience that know what they produce & install, and of course "know" what they are talking about.

I like LED's too from time to time in my projects, and when they "need" to be used. But even a rubber band can be "dangerous" in the wrong hands. Any "hack" can turn a neon transformer or LED power source into a dangerous situation when not installed right.

Susan Conner

I appreciate everyone's comments. I'm mainly looking for neon projects, but I welcome your viewpoints. Except for our contest entries, it's hard to keep up with neon installations, and I appreciate it when people email, call or discuss them in our forums.

Respondent B

An issue for us is getting the parts/supplies needed. It seems they are going by the 'wayside.'

Respondent C

Like Carol we are finding parts are harder and harder to find.

Kirstie Gastelum

Admin at The Sign Syndicate.com

What supplies is do you find difficult to locate?.....

Respondent B

This is the recent information I got from Matt Allen, my production manager:

Initially the glass housings were out of production. 200 spring, 300 pigtails, etc. Those are all back in production, and readily available.

The 'G' cups and 'GG' cups are currently difficult to obtain, and as far as I know are not being produced anywhere. The 'G' cups and 'GG' cups are the major hindrance currently.

Some of the smaller neon transformers were also difficult to get but it looks like that has been resolved as we

Susan Conner

What factors do you think are causing the problem of limited supplies

Erik G

See my first post

Respondent B

Limited demand likely plays into the limited supply realm. It's all very unfortunate, but things do change and this is another indication of significant industry change.

Erik G

Again, one of biggest problems is how neon has been mis-characterized & misconstrued. THIS is why it's hard to find neon components in stock with any supplier. A lot this, is the fault of our Industry Trade Magazines.

Articles are let to be run without fact checking first. How many articles do we read where LED's are brighter and save "80% to 90%"in energy over neon & fluorescent lamps? Or LED's, are more "green" than neon? Or "Neon & Fluorescent lamps contain, MERCURY".

I don't understand why on one side of a Trade Magazine their tech writer will show with factual numbers what is true and what is not, then on the other side of a magazine you have a rep from a LED manufacturer (who probably has never seen/ touched / handled a neon lamp) or a sign shop owner (who believes the propaganda) writing an article on the compete opposite with NO facts or figures, just thrown out marketing statement and claims.

"Trade" magazines enable this behavior, and help spread the misnomer that LED's are a "wonder" product that should be used for all phases of the sign & lighting industry, because it's in print by our Industry leaders, it's believed. I think for every 12 issues a year we might see one neon article (maybe 2) and dozens and dozens of LED articles with the same information.

I know LED advertising pays REAL well and we don't see too many neon manufacturers doing advertising these days, but's time to be MORE responsible as industry information/news leaders.

You asked for issues to be addressed, we can start here with this one alongside some nice pretty "neon projects", it IS, of the biggest ones.

That way we don't flood the "Sign Museum" with more than they can handle.

Susan Conner

The Neon Group is writing an article covering some issues for the August issue of Signs of the Time. We always welcome people to tell us about projects and related issues. We really do need to hear from you, and we welcome your comments here

Erik G

Glad to hear TNG is being given an opportunity, hopefully they can be a regular in your magazine.

Susan, given the length of time you have been with SOT and the insight you must have, do you have an opinion on what I've stated above? Do you think I made a fair assessment about what is currently happening with the neon industry?

Susan Conner

To Erik, I'm paid to write hopefully unbiased articles. Thanks to everyone who's contributed.

Have to like the song and dance I got there, kind of has a salsa to it no? When is the last time a Sr Editor never has an opinion about anything?

I know I'm relentless and a BIG pain in the ASS to these people, but since no ones seems to want to take on the job/position, I guess I'm stuck with it for now. I repeat, for now.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Boy everyone is asleep these days. I'm going to run out of life preservers one day, or the urge to toss them out when one is needed.

Maybe I should go back to gaming forums, that's always a thought. Think It might be more healthier for me.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Heh. Maybe everyone on here decided to psyche you out and pull the same "ignore you" bit on your own forum ;)

There is either strong truth to what you say or there are a lot of people with no realization to what they read.

I'd gamble my wife with the latter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• !llumenati

I'll go with the fact that people believe what they are told because it is easier than actually looking at the facts or even doing a little research.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

I read the post and am glad to have you doing the dirty work. So, here's an "ATABOY" a "WAY TO GO" and a "GO GET EM".

Boy everyone is asleep these days. I'm going to run out of life preservers one day, or the urge to toss them out when one is needed.

Maybe I should go back to gaming forums, that's always a thought. Think It might be more healthier for me.

Your efforts are much appreciated Eric. I wish there were more voices coming from within the industry that questioned the validity of all the BS. I'm sure the 'Signs of the Times' isn't going to do or say anything that might affect the advertising dollars that are rolling in. I quit receiving the SOT about 2 years ago for this very reason.

The sad thing is if the sheep keep beleiving the propaganda there won't be a decision to make on light sources in a few years. I have been a neon and cathode manufacturer for 23 years now and I have a 10 year old son who asks me at least once a week when i am going to teach him. He wants to do what I do :) Not sure if thats what I want for him at this point .If things stay as they are and neon continues to take the brunt of the LED assault there won't be any young up and comers to take the reigns .

Maybe if enough of us make some noise people will start to listen .

Thanks for your comments Eric and for providing a platform for us to express our veiws.

I started my professional lighting career by being involved with the acquisition of a CCFL driver company. That technology is what made me a lot of $$$$

If CCFL is so dangerous why did/do the US Airforce or leading medical companies use it as the light source in life threatening applications??? It last forever, is safe, performs incredible, and is very efficient.

I use to be VP of Business Development for Microsemi Nasdaq MSCC - Wall Street loved that we were the leader in extreme applications for CCFL.

So I said it - I started my career on CCFL - I never forget or lose respect for it either. People should take steps forward in life by fully appreciating their past and history.

Will make you all laugh - we are working on huge application/opportunity for high voltage LED system!!! Met with UL yesterday to confirm the concept was not too crazy - I was told - "go ahead - looks fine"!!!

• Like 1