ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

The Disaster Factor

After watching everything unfold on TV before our eyes it's really making me wonder about my own preparedness living in socal next to the San Andreas Fault line and being in the Ring Of Fire. To top it off also having a Nuclear Reactor that is closer to Marek than I :P What if a major disaster like a Super Quake happens here? How long will we be out of water, gas & food? How much crime will occur how much theft and violence? I'm watching TV and seeing dumb asses robbing anybody with water or food, rapes going on. If it were a super quake it would be months for anything to return to someone liveable.

Anyway just venting out loud, but the nextime I go to costco I think I'm buying some extra trays of bulk food and keeping extra 5 gallon jugs of water around in a closet. Judging from the crime on TV, might as well buy a shotgun too. :blink:

Earthquakes here, flooding and hurricanes in the south and south east, twisters in the heartland, Yeeeeeee :eek13:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Yesterday on the tv new orleans city officials were commenting on the luting going on(didnt notice who it was). They said it over the tv that there is a difference between thievery and survival. Something like this can make a sensible person do something totally out of character. To some it is the opportunity they have been waiting for. To have the law occupied with so many other things and to have to worry about scum bags taking advantage of the situation. They showed footage of a cop leveling a shotgun on two people ripping a store off. Maybe the cop should have lived out his fantasy to blow somebody away point blank. I mean after all, everbody else was breaking the law.

TEastin

You don't own a shotgun? Actually, neither do I. I don't own any kind of firearm. I've always said that I'd need and buy one the day my government tells me I can't own one. I guess there's really no place completely safe from this kind of criminal activity. I was in Vietnam for the '68 riots, and yes, we had them. In our compound (pop. 5000?), in one night there were 300 arrests. I live in a rural community (pop. 3-400) now, where everybody knows everybody, and I can't imagine rioting or high crime here, but like you said Travis, crazy times can make sensible people do crazy things. I guess you're right, Sign Guy. It's time to prepare for the worst. Lock and load.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

Nuclear reactor? You mean Dolly PArtons' b00bs? :boobs:

_1336834_nuclear300afp.jpg

I also saw that clip of the police officer raising his shotgun to the two guys with stolen property. I'm sure as soon as the officer left they picked their stuff back up and kept walking. I also saw a guy stopped by police and being patted down then he just takes off running and there was nothing the police officer could do, they just let him go. I hope they get relief soon.

-Marek

You could not pay me enough to live in SoCal. (Well, maybe a few mil a year would do it...) But I digress. At some point it will happen. There doesn't seem to be any argument about that. It's a question of when. It could be tomorrow, next year or 50 years. But when it does the situation will be AT LEAST 100 times worse than what Katrina caused - probably closer to 500 times worse. Time to get out guys while you still can :burn:

Here's a blog I saw on another site of the accounts going on inside NO. VERY interesting to say the least, he updates it every couple of hours whith stories and accounts of what's going on inside NO

The Blog

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Hello all,

As an EMT with an ambulance service and just started FEMA's NIMS class. It is hard to imagine what is going throught the local, state and federal departments. This would be something very hard to plan for and prepare for. Even if all supplies were in place in New Orleans, would it still be there after the hurricane. Look at the Superdome, they are luck that it didn't collapse.

I do have to comment on the looting, granted if your trying to survive, that is fine. But the other night I seen coverage of looting. The guy was walking around the wal-mart type store with enough fishing poles to outfit the Husker football team. What was this guy thinking? Who would you sell to? Its not like your going to catch any fish in the waters that your wading through.

I feel sorry for the law enforcement and local fire departments that may not have anything to go back to. My heart goes out to the whole area, the devastation and dismay. Its going to be a very long road back to recovery. Its going to take a few good weeks to get the water stopped. And then its on to the long road of repairing basic services.

Just my meager thoughts..

Jay

(place for EMT smiley)

My thoughts exactly on looting. Water, Food, survival supplies, NIKE SHOES?!??! :wtf: PEople can be so stoopid and ignorance rapid. People walking out of stores with trash cans full of radios, CD's and retail items. What are you going to do with that and where are you going to put the stuff? It's flooded!

I heard one person saying "Were getting back at society for supressing us", and another "were staying here in New Orleans because I'm suppose to get my governement check!"

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!

GET A FOOKIN JOB!!!! Quit being so damn Lazy you 2nd generation free loader and get a jobby job :bitchin: Get off dependency and the goverment pacifier, wipe your own ass...for once :gay:

lmao.....

:nutkick:

My friends' ex is a police officer in that area. They were unloading a generator yesterday off a truck when a limo drove by and opened fire on them. Needless to say he was happy once his shift was over. :wtf:

-Marek

Hello all,

...snip...

This would be something very hard to plan for and prepare for.  Even if all supplies were in place in New Orleans, would it still be there after the hurricane. 

...snip...

Jay

(place for EMT smiley)

Huh? Hard to prepare for? Why?

They knew this would be AT LEAST a category 4 and probably a cat. 5 three days before it hit. Okay, so they didn't know precisely where it would hit, but they knew it would be in that general area of the coast. Andrew was a cat. 4 and they knew what that did. Hugo was a cat. 4 and they knew what that did. The list goes on... Point is they KNEW what was going to happen. You prepare for the worst damage. You don't prepare for the least damage - at least if you have an ounce of brains anyway.

Hard to prepare for? Not if you are doing your job! Look at it this way: How long did it take before U.S. aid poured into Indonesia after the Tsunami? It got there faster than it is getting to our own country! So PLEASE give me a break. Hard to prepare for my ass! Not if you are not sitting on your ass doing nothing.

I heard on the local (Columbia, SC) news this morning that Charleston Air Force Base has 50+ Air Cargo planes ready to go. But they are STILL waiting for orders to dispatch to North Carolina to pick up medical supplies to take to New Orleans airport. WTF!!! They should have BEEN THERE 2 days ago. How about flying those cargo planes there and just picking up the people and getting them the hell out of there instead of loading them all onto school buses and DRIVING them to Texas? I don't know who is running FEMA but whoever it is needs to find another job :bitchin:

Sorry for the rant, but as I see it there is no excuse for the lack of aid at this point other than poor planning and dragging their ass.

On a side note, I will wager that the Republican Party is going to have a real hard time getting support from that area come election time. I'm an Independent and vote for whoever I think has the best ideas and credentials regardless of what Party they represent, so this isn't a political cheap-shot. I'm just calling it as I see it.

lmao well that's like not expecting to wait long at the DMV. The private factor charities and citizens acted faster than the government as usual and that's the way it's always been. Neighbors helping neighbors, I never look or wait for help from anyone else other than myself. But there is going to be all kinds of people who will politcise this and it's already going around "Black and white Issue" Bush's fault". Give me a break!!! No matter how peeps prepare for something it never ends up the way they figure. Yes our governement acted slow but, what's new. Red Cross and private charities were out there very fast. But I wouldn't go out anywhere if I'm getting shot at by people I'm trying to help.

It's hard, ever try to rescue someone drowning? If your not careful they will drown you. Bottom line this all comes down to, everyone should have left. If I know there's a cat 5 storm coming common sense tells me to leave especially if I have a family. There are the poor that can't get out but a lot of them have real dumb excuses.

lmao @ the hotel who hired 5 buses and paid 25k to get their guests out and when the escape buses arrived they get commandered by FEMA and told tuff shit walk and find your own way. But I like the story about the guy who commandered a bus from FEMA and drove it to the Dome to get people out of there :P

****edited Sorry didn't get a chance to finish the post. Went to a orientation for our Kindergartener at a public school (Governemnt run) and they were so un-prepared and a complete waste of time. Supposed to meet the teacher and class room and it didn't happen. Parents were pist, see just like the DMV...you wait forever and they fook you at the end!

Edited by Westcoast Sign Guy

"Bottom line this all comes down to, everyone should have left. If I know there's a cat 5 storm coming common sense tells me to leave especially if I have a family. There are the poor that can't get out but a lot of them have real dumb excuses."

How about this: The Mayor and Gov. were complaining about all the people who stayed, many of whom were poor lower class. Why didn't they bring in busses to evacuate them when the storm was taking aim on them? Or better yet, send in the cargo planes to get them out quicker? (Do you know how many people one of those C130's will hold? A BUNCH) No, lets wait to see how much damage it will do before we get up off our lazy ass to do anything!

Oh this is really gonna hit the fan. The Mayor of NO just ordered buses to go pick up guests and tourists who were staying at the Hyatt to get them out of there before he ordered buses to the Superdome, people who really needed it. People who were dying and sick, a place where there was rape going on, people getting shot and waiting for 4 days in crap conditions and not in a nice hotel. He's finished

If I know there's a cat 5 storm coming common sense tells me to leave especially if I have a family. 

Not trying to be light, but the present situation seems to prove what somebody, maybe Mark Twain, said, "Common sense is the least common of the senses."

joemomma

1946-2008

Oh this is really gonna hit the fan.  The Mayor of NO just ordered buses to go pick up guests and tourists who were staying at the Hyatt to get them out of there before he ordered buses to the Superdome, people who really needed it.  People who were dying and sick, a place where there was rape going on, people getting shot and waiting for 4 days in crap conditions and not in a nice hotel.  He's finished

I think you're right about there being an opening in the Mayor's office next election. Maybe had he seen this from a predecessor in another city, he would've shown a little more leadership. San Francisco, August 1906.

untitled.bmp

joemomma

1946-2008

Gotta say, I live in Florida the Hurricane Magnet, and I hate to say it, but my god the people there are morons and whiney biatches. Actually thats way to harsh, I should say the people the news channels shown on tv are morons and whiney biatches. Down here last year we went 10 days w/o power and 7 days w/o water, but we were prepared ahead of time so it was nothing more then uncomfortable. It's a simple matter of most of the people there didn't think of the future and stayed. The line of BS about the only people who stayed were the people who were to poor to leave is total crap. When a Hurricane is on it's way they open shelters for those who can't afford hotels, ect. Those shelters usually are not near the ocean. Gah... This is way to hot of a topic for me at the bit, I'd better just shut up now.

haha

Not to worry everyones worked up about it and a lot have their own views

LOL! Well, if it wasn't hot enough before it sure is now - at least for me since that ugly mother f*cker Jessie Jackson stuck his mug in front of the cameras down there. Can you believe that moron actually compared the people who took shelter in the Super Dome to "slaves on slave ships"???

IMO one of the major reasons why race relations in this country are not progressing any faster than they are is BECAUSE of people like Jessie Jackson who can't get through a conversation without playing the race card. So here's a question for Mr. Intelligent: Hey Jessie, how many of your millions have you personally contributed to the relief effort? Yeah, that's what I thought. Your "presence" there is more than enough contribution...

LOL! Well, if it wasn't hot enough before it sure is now - at least for me since that ugly mother f*cker Jessie Jackson stuck his mug in front of the cameras down there.

:lol_hitting: Like I said Ambulance chaser. Once again I think most (90%) will see and have already took some EXLAX to get thru the bullshit. It's the only card Jessica Jackson has to play otherwise he's out of a job. Shit my kids first day of school, gotta go bbl