ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Bucket, Boom, Crane Etc message board type websites or make one here ?

Greetings and thanks for any help. Any good websites for Bucket, Boom, Crane Etc message boards? We have a good amount of bucket/crane trucks and it would be great to get feedback, additional sources for parts, etc, etc from people or companies that have the same trucks. As an example we just bought a used Altec on a chevy, have a question on a switch and altec cant determine what its for. Assume if we took a picture and posted to one of these websites an actual service Tech user would be able to give feedback and pinpoint it a lot faster than us having to trace it out. Any ideas? Thanks, Lance

• Board Patron

Take a picture and post it, with a brief description. Good chance someone on here may have the same truck. I own 2 Altec's.

• 2 months later...
  • Board Patron

We are looking at getting a "new to us" crane truck.

We have come across an older model 115' Sky Hook mounted to a freightliner. We dont need one for every day (at this point) but we are growing and having to hire others with bigger lifts to help more and more often.

Question is, I can't seem to find the manufacturer for the sky hook units. Am I to assume that they are no longer in business??? From my limited research, it appears that there are two crane truck companies here in Ohio that work on them and stock parts. However, if they no longer exist does that mean that parts are harder and harder to find?

Another question, how is the reliability and use of the SkyHook units overall?

Thanks in advance for any help/info on the topic.

• Board Patron

Many many moons ago. I worked on a Skyhook 115'. (I think it's really a 112'). At that reach, you only get to use one hand to work with. Since your other hand is keeping you from being bucked out of the basket. I believe it had a 3000# lift capability when all tubes were scoped in at a 70 degree angle. The one we had didn't have remote controls in the basket. So you always had someone working the base.

As with any truck, get a qualified person or certified inspector to go over the crane, cables, and on that model hand brake.

Skyhook is no longer in business. Been gone for years. I still see them on the road from time to time. As with any piece of equipment, It will last if you take care of it.

• Board Patron

Thanks Mark! I always enjoy your posts! I used to live in Grapevine in a prior career life and do truely miss it from time to time.

The cable was just replaced and we will most likly be using it 75% of the time as a crane and not so much with man on basket. Thanks for the capacity info as i have not been able to find that. Did talk to someone today at The Crane Center in Mansfield Oh (just about 1 hr from me) and they actually still work on them... that is good for us!