ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Sign company owner gives credit, and job, to old mentor

Erik Sine

UNIONDALE, New York - As project manager for a large sign company on Long Island, New York, Phil Bono sizes-up buildings for awnings.

But it didn't take a tape measure for him to figure out that what goes around, definitely comes around.

"I just always liked to help people or bring them to the next level," Bono said.

One of the people he has mentored over the years is Oscar Valle. Back in the 90s, Phil had his own sign company and Oscar was a 17-year-old immigrant with virtually no job skills whatsoever. But Phil hired him anyway and taught him the business.

"He asked questions, he was inquisitive, so I shared all my stuff with him," Bono said.

That worked just fine for Valle. "It opened my eyes for me to see beyond what I was used to," said Valle. "That's what he did for me."

Phil mentored Oscar for a couple years, but then lost touch after he sold his old sign company in 2002. He moved to Florida, tried some other businesses, but ended up pretty much broke.

He moved back to New York a couple years ago looking to start over, and that's when he met the owner of a sign company, who, like Phil, has always believed a good hard worker just needs a chance.

"I see the potential he has," Valle said of Bono, laughing. "I see the potential in him."

That's right. The student has become the master. Today, Valle not only owns his own sign business, he's building it into a national brand. It's now a multimillion-dollar company. How much of the success does Valle credit to his old mentor? "Everything."

Valle says he can't thank Bono enough, while Bono claims the debt is all his. Regardless, the net result is a friendship that will surely leave both men with more than enough to share.

"What he's done in 12 years is just amazing," said Bono. "I think we're just getting started and we're going to soar."

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

Heart warming story...........

Seems to me that this should be the Rule rather than the Exception in our country. The USA affords each of us so many blessings on a daily basis. Hopefully there are more stories like this that we just don't hear of.

Thanks for bringing it forward, Erik.

Best

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan