ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Ladder trucks vs standard bucket?

One more question! Almost ready to buy. Looking at two units now and both are non telescoping over center ALTECs. Have always been in telescoping units so not much experience with non telescoping over center. Any plus minus? I like that the overcenter unit can reach over things easier than a telescoping unit.

• Board Patron

You will hate the non telescoping overcenter trust me been down that road

• Like 1

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

LOL No the one in the pic is the Altec articulating squirt boom 41'. GREAT truck for service we just wore it out.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

The altec TA series will reach straight out to the side. you don't have to jerk around getting in the right position like a damn knuckle boom.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Are you buying big old utility trucks ? Articulating Scissor booms ? Send a photo

Img

thumbnail

found 2 like this. both with material handlers.
Edited by HudsonSignCo

You are showing two different trucks here. The bodies and buckets are different. If the boom flips completely over on it self, you can get a straight arm longer reach.

You need to know your sign area and what will work for you.

Just looking at your photos, the trucks look pretty worn out with a fast paint job

yes they are two diff trucks. deff are used, but a step up from what we currently have, our 97 ford fsuper duty telsta!

yes boom flips out completey.

• !llumenati

You are showing 2 different trucks here If the boom flips over itself, you can get a straight longer reach. You need to know your sign area and what will work for you

These trucks look pretty worn out with just a fast paint job. Any warrantee ? Ford Diesel or V 10 Gas ?

You are showing 2 different trucks here If the boom flips over itself, you can get a straight longer reach. You need to know your sign area and what will work for you

These trucks look pretty worn out with just a fast paint job. Any warrantee ? Ford Diesel or V 10 Gas ?

they are all 7.3 fords. nooooo warranty

• Board Patron

Just lease a nice double basket like pauls trucks or an elliott like mine. Worry free and make some money. Unless its a part time business. 1-2 jobs a month and lease is covered. I wasted so much time with used trucks. Cost more to keep them alive. When the mechanic cant get to it for a week because parts are not available you lose too much money.

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

Just lease a nice double basket like pauls trucks or an elliott like mine. Worry free and make some money. Unless its a part time business. 1-2 jobs a month and lease is covered. I wasted so much time with used trucks. Cost more to keep them alive. When the mechanic cant get to it for a week because parts are not available you lose too much money.

i hear you. we are dumping our 97 ford because it is wasting us time and money. right now looking for a stepping stone to the lease or big purchase. the truck goes out once or twice a week usually, but this winter the service and install has been slow so makes it difficult to justify a purchase even though in the long run the overall year is good. the $2+k a month is a tough nut to swallow when you've basically had a truck for free. our last truck only cost $7k!!!!

• Board Patron

i hear you. we are dumping our 97 ford because it is wasting us time and money. right now looking for a stepping stone to the lease or big purchase. the truck goes out once or twice a week usually, but this winter the service and install has been slow so makes it difficult to justify a purchase even though in the long run the overall year is good. the $2+k a month is a tough nut to swallow when you've basically had a truck for free. our last truck only cost $7k!!!! I

I am in a similar positon as you in the sense that My primary service truck 01 f450 7.3 I got for 6k and paid for itself the first month I had it. Now its getting worn out and I need to buy another and keep that for local service work. My trucks run 5 days a week so buying a new one isnt out of the question it is just like you said a hard nut to swallow to drop 130k. But like paul and rocco are saying I am sick of being in the truck repair business and tired of being worried if the truck is going to break down when we are 2 hours from home and pulling a trailer. I am starting to think dropping the dough will alleviate that stress. It will be something that makes my crew more efficient and will also hold a decent resale value, not to mention when the truck is worn out just swap the body and boom to the next one... Paul is probably smiling right now because he has been telling me this shit for years and its finally starting to sink in.

and for the record, do not get a over center knuckle boom, they suck. Get and articulating/teloscopic. Its the only way to roll in this industry for sign install if you dont want a crane.

Has anyone transferred a bucket to a new chassis? I have three older bucket trucks with good buckets but the truck maintenance is starting to add up. I can buy a brand new F450 for $41K which is a lot less than a new bucket truck...

Any thoughts?

• Board Patron

Has anyone transferred a bucket to a new chassis? I have three older bucket trucks with good buckets but the truck maintenance is starting to add up. I can buy a brand new F450 for $41K which is a lot less than a new bucket truck...

Any thoughts?

would you do the work yourself? if not its going to cost you 6-10k for a reputable place do to it, plus new pto, do you want to keep the utilty body or do a flat bed?

I have been thinking about transfering mine to a new 550 and getting alum flatbed and underbody boxes and nice lamp bin. its going to end up around 65k. Not sure I want to spend that on a single man basket with no jib.

• Board Patron

Thanks. I'd like to buy a cab & chassis and mount the both the lift and the body. We would like do most of it in our shop, just not too sure what we'd be getting into...

I did this at a company I used to work for. It was an old Skyhook 115'(I think, or 113'..damn fishing pole that far out). Had electric, no PTO. We pulled it off with 2 forklifts. Whole deal is getting the bed plumb on new ride. You'd be surprised how much the bed/body distorts when removing. We pulled it off, took a few days.

• Like 1

• !llumenati

I had the entire bed, boom. bucket transferred over to a new truck. There are lots of issues that need to be done at every level. Plus certifications.

You need to have a professional do the work, Otherwise you will never get it done or get it to work correctly.

• Board Patron

I can't imagine trying to install a boom and all that goes with it at my shop. I would have way more in it than just buying a ready to go truck.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

David,

If you swap the bed and boom look into raising the bed on the frame and using the lifted area as storage for stock. You can keep full length material and it's out of the way. Just pull it straight out from the back when you need it. My friend did that years ago and thought he was crazy but when we needed a 10ft piece of angle, Bingo, there it was.

• Like 1

GOOD things happen for a reason......

• 3 months later...

Well I told Paul I would post pics and it's been a few months at this point!! Ended up picking up a unit from NESCO for a great price and great condition. Lettered it, built the rack and put her to work. Coming from an old non articulating pony motor bucket this is NIGHT and DAY!! I don't know how I got where I am today without a boom like this. It's been a short time but any time I find myself in a situation where I need to go another 2 feet over, or higher...it has the reach. Where as the old Telsta we got rid of, you'd have to go down, move the truck and go back up. Extremely happy with this unit thus far.

2015-03-24%2011.08.56_zpsspvmfhdu.jpg

2015-04-08%2011.11.18_zpsboimngx8.jpg

2015-04-08%2013.14.03_zpssel5k0uu.jpg

2015-04-10%2016.34.22_zpsqw7ufrra.jpg