ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Too Much Free Time

So Im sitting here waiting for bits and aluminum to arrive(which I was serious about the volcano which has pretty much shut down air frieght do to ash in the air :nonono2: ) and Im going through the various sign forums and boards and Ive noticed a trend that I see every day in my shop as well as almost every board Ive visited. Animosity. I'll be the first to admit that I became a designer because I was the only one in the shop I used to work at that could run the software. I was a vinyl app substrate shop lacky at the time, the head designer was leaving so I got my shot and never looked back. So the fact I can use a mouse better then some use a brush, I can macro VBA's for corel....so how does this make me any less of a craftsman or artist then someone who huffs one shot all day? I take pride in what I do. I work everyday to better my skills. Ive been doing architechual based design since I was 13 for my grandfathers exhibit company. Ive learned most of the skills it takes to fabricate a sign(still working on horizontal welding :BlahBlah: ) So why is it Im a lsser person in a trade I love because I use a Digital printer and router instead of a brush and jigsaw? How does that make anyone who uses thes methods less of a sign craftsman? Sorry to rant but its just pissing me off that because the tools I use are different that Im lesser in my field of peers.

haha, this sure is an age old argument for anything. I just got in and got a major headache, i'll post my thoughts later after I think about it in the :mag:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I remember back oh so many years ago, when I started out in this trade, changing candles out. The newer technology arrived and I found myself laughing at the light bulb and those who screwed them........ in. Fortunately, I was young and able to adapt, but the older gents in the candle changing trade couldn't, and, yes, the animosity, the belittling, the downright oppugnancy was most evident. I was called a traitor, and was ostracized from the candle changers union. I jumped ship again when neon was introduced. Same results - blackballed by the bulb changers. I'll jump again when newer technology replaces neon, but I won't be misLED. (I consider myself an open minded visionary, and I can't see anything out there anywhere near ready to replace neon.)

Keep your chin up, Goatboy. Let them laugh. Let their animus show. Sign your work and be proud. What's really showing is their envy.

BTW, I have little experience in welding, but always thought that vertical welding was the bitch.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008