ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Jib winch in basket pros/cons

• Board Patron

Hey guys thinking of adding a in basket jib. How many of you guys have them and how useful do you feel they are? Pics of yours would be to see

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Yep very nice. I need to decide if to build or buy?????

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

The Jib is a great back up device, sometimes the priority lifting device. You can't go wrong with a jib.

You can build one yourself. Its pretty simple. OR

You can buy the complete unit ready to install at STAMM 800 226-5056 ask for John or Mike

Also if the jib is installed on the basket, you need to decrease the basket capacity of the jib and load

• Board Patron

Thanks Paul. Do you have any pictures of your that you could share so I can get build ideas???

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

This is a great question, and it's something that comes up often in conversations with sign companies on new machine builds. Although you're talking about adding one to a SkyCrane, I thought it would be good to chime in from the Elliott Equipment Company perspective.

Buying a new sign truck without a jib will save a little money, but it really can hurt resale value down the road since, as Paul says, the jib winch is heavily relied upon by many sign companies as a primary lifting device or as a critical backup device. The vast majority of our customers prefer to have a jib winch on their sign truck, even if it's used sparingly.

Just recently, we launched a new platform jib winch in our L60 HiReach model. The jib now stows vertically in the platform and telescopes out for more reach than ever before. Plus, it's rated at 500 lbs capacity at all angles. We're going to be rolling the new jib out on our other sign trucks starting this fall. A major reason for the new design is the increasing use of LED lit signs that have reduced weight. Many of our customers are doing their channel letter or cabinet installs using the jib winch. At a 500 lb capacity, it covers a lot of the work being done.

post-5811-0-18414300-1467822379_thumb.jp

post-5811-0-02358500-1467822388.jpg

• Board Patron

yes sir that is a nice one! Gonna put one in my SX57 for sure

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

I have one on my 57 and also had one put in my versalift i had built. I will never build a truck again without one.

two pics attached. me installing 2 9'x9' router and pushed through 5" deep cabinets and the other me installing 8x10' faces.

I have 2 different jib poles for mine for diff weight needs and reach

post-4376-0-11262100-1467892955_thumb.pn

post-4376-0-99589000-1467892992.jpg

• !llumenati

That's exactly what the jibs are great for.

Elliot is basket mounted and the Versa Lift is boom mounted. You can get either electric or hydraulic winches

• Kgirl pinned this topic
  • 2 years later...
  • Board Patron

Is it legit to add a jib winch, doesn't the truck need to be manufactured that way to be an approved material handling truck? If you add one I imagine you can only guess as to whether or not anything you are lifting with it is within specifications of the boom and your mounting method. I think if you had a problem using an aftermarket jib winch you would have a big OSHA problem especially if they check your manufacturers plate and it says "Approved for Material Handling - X No"....but I'm only guessing here.

• Board Patron
13 hours ago, GB2 said:

Is it legit to add a jib winch, doesn't the truck need to be manufactured that way to be an approved material handling truck? If you add one I imagine you can only guess as to whether or not anything you are lifting with it is within specifications of the boom and your mounting method. I think if you had a problem using an aftermarket jib winch you would have a big OSHA problem especially if they check your manufacturers plate and it says "Approved for Material Handling - X No"....but I'm only guessing here.

many trucks have provisions for jibs. Some people dont buy them when they get the truck new to save a few bucks. some people buy used trucks and the jib is missing. You are correct though in your scenario you described

• 1 year later...

Jib booms are very useful, I have one in each truck. If you add a jib boom to a truck even if it has provisions for it and was not ordered with the truck you will be responsible for any accident that may occur.

You could go back to the manufacturer and have them retrofit the truck and be OSHA compliant but that would be costly.

When it was only me running the trucks I added forks, jib booms, electric and welding leads in the basket, now that I have employees I order the truck the way I want it. The liability will still fall on my company unless the product fails, but it is one less thing to keep me awake at night. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board Patron

I've been playing with signs for way too long but DAMN I wish we had these 35 years ago.  I have the same basic unit at Paul and it's paid for itself in a few months.   I agree, it's become as necessary as cordless tools.

• 1 year later...