ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

The Demand for more Neon - The Beginning?

Erik Sine

• Board Patron

Tomorrow I'll have the distinct privilege of attempting to promote NEON to a cities Historical Preservation Committee. I've already heard from the city officials, that my customer and myself will not be pleased with the outcome. This "HPC" believe's their downtown should preserve the look and feel of the 1880's. And neon was not invented and used for signs during that time period.

I can't wait to walk into their Historic County Building, which was built around circa 2005. Enjoy all of the old time conveniences that were available to everyone in the 1880's. Such as; Air Conditioning, Electricity, Lighting,Power Point displays, Microphones, paved roads, horseless buggies, toilets, and running water,....And the "HPC"s preferred sign type...Hand made computer assisted plotted vinyl on MDO or Aluminum. With goose neck lighting fixtures.

This city, courted my customer to bring his restaurant in, to expand their tourism, His chain is known by virtually everyone in N. TX.. He is highly successful in his other old downtown areas. Brings in an average of 250,000+ people a year. He allows me to build outstanding neon signs. Which he and I both believe is the eye candy and image of his locations.

Except for this location. After 5 years, people can't find him. He's 1 block off the square. His 3' x 5' oval wooden sign, surrounded by an ivy encrusted arbor. Blocked by neighboring buildings. Just doesn't have the impact it could have had, 130 yrs ago.

Kind of funny how his landlord, the City. Even asked him to donate to their tourism budget. I was there when that question was presented 2 weeks ago. Let's say some ears are still burning.

I'll update ya'll on Friday. I'm armed with a lot of neon facts. I even have a picture of their beloved historic theater. Showing a nice neon marquee entrance. (Which now has been covered up with historical pre finished brushed sliver panels, with historic plotted vinyl in neon patterns.)

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Give 'em hell...........after you remind them that vinyl wasn't circa 1880, neither was the HDU that they probably use in the signs, nor the 4 x 4 posts exactly the same, hope they have enough candles to light the city. Wow, I thought Scottsdale Arizona was bad ---

Keep us posted - should be fun.

gn

Since coming back to Nova Scotia and getting my neon plant running full time I've been happy with the neon sales. Lots of repairs to existing signs, several neon window border installs and a few new window signs. Also did some work for a film production company.

I make sure that potential clients understand that a lot of what was said by the led folks have been proven to be false. At least my product is over 90% recyclable when no longer useful.

• Board Patron

Last night was fun. I didn't think I'd enjoy dealing with the ding bats, who consider themselves, "Historic Preservationists." All I can say is they will be the death of their city. 2 out of 6 agreed neon would be OK. (the only men on the board). I thought I could sway 1 of the ladies. But the other 3 women...No way... They have a chip on their shoulder. Mainly due to their failing businesses..Yes, one of that brain trust flat out said. "All the businesses here are suffering because people can't find them, and lack of parking." I explained again, I can solve everyone's visibility problems...

I explained to them when neon was first used. How the signs were fabricated, the advancement of neon over the last 100 years, and how it can be presented to enhance their beloved architecture, and how that correlated with the introduction of electricity to their city. That was my Braveheart Speech, I swayed that one lady! The other 3 stayed entrenched on preserving the integrity of their beloved town square. I then pointed out, this sign was 1 block off their town square...Nothing will shift the brain trusts minds..

I actually got 5 out of 6 to agree to let our sign be 15' tall vs the 7' allowed. The brain trust then decided my customers colors were not "Historic".. "Red, White, and Blue are not historic? It's the color of the American and the Texas State flag! How more historic can you get?" I replied... The 2 guys laughed, and agreed. The brain trust forwarded me to look at the Home Depot, Lowes, or Sherwin Willimas historic paint swatches. Yup, those paint suppliers who can't get 2 cans to match. Are the cities curators of historic colors..

I explained to them indirect lighting will not help out my customers visibility. Due to the existing amount of ambient lighting in the downtown area...

After the meeting, my customer was willing to give into them. I told him, he's the one who wanted me to push for neon, and that's what he wanted. But I would do what ever he wants.

I have a great idea, that will meet their historic guidelines, and piss off the brain trust. My work now begins...

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Preservation and Landmark commissions are full of tree hugging day dreamers who think of utopia. They will find themselves watching the tumble weed come pass their stores as they use their lap tops and other useless crap.

We have them here in NYC too. Landmarks Commission who want to regulate everything. They want the store to look like it did a hundred years ago. The problem is in the middle of mega stores or sky scrapers.

• Like 1

• Board Patron

1880's? That was the time of gas lanterns! (And CO2-filled Moore Tubes)

Neon sales have been red hot in my neck of the woods since February of last year. Recently added to the bender payroll for the first time since 2008. Lots of exposed neon pylon signs and architectural borders. Even selling custom OPEN signs again to folks who appreciate something nicer than the Costco blow-mold variety.

Also starting to get folks calling again looking for apprenticeships and learning opportunities. It's not 1999, but there definitely does seem to be a renewed interest.

Edited by megavolt512

I've been very busy for the last 6-8 months. Lots of movie work, art pieces, open signs and fun little custom jobs. It's not multiple sets of channel letters but I'm as busy as I can remember. Everything is exposed now and I couldn't be happier. I've been shocked by how many truly bad glass benders there are but this lull and change in the industry has really helped to prune our field. It's time to get a whole new crop of passionate people to actually learn what it takes to do the job right.

• Like 1

• Board Patron

We have been doing a lot of neon stuff lately. The channel letters have all been clear faces but nothing with colorer faces.

Now if the supply house will stock enough. Just did a job with 15mm voltarc green and had to wait for Voltarc to mfg some.

In the 70's & 80's I ran a contracting company doing mostly what I called "Histerical Restorations" mainly in Mystic, CT. In those days the Historic Commish regulated everything right sown to the collors of the VINYL shutters that were to be put on ALL windows. At one meeting I showed photos of the old round log roof framing that prooved beyond a doubt that the house I was working on had skylights when it was built in the late 1800's. Guess what NO SKYLIGHTS ALLOWED AS THEY ARE NOT HISTORIC. Seems that attitude hasn't changed much in the years since. We have several towns in CT that do not allow even vinyl signs that have to be all hand painted, no internal illumination either. These committee members should be educated before they take their posts.

That tirade over I will say our neon work is starting to pick up, not as much as John or Steve but it is growing. We too have issues getting glass and other supplies. Luckily Voltarc is here in CT and EGL now ships direct to us from NJ so it's not devastating.

But we still have to deal with this kind of advertising as well.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-services-skilled-trades-electrician-LED-sign-retro-fit-convert-to-LED-concrete-bases-W0QQAdIdZ463289993

but overall we have been getting busy.

Don't you just love companies like them? I don't get the marketing tactics of some people and most of their clients believe the bs spewed during the sales call. At least I'm not getting undercut on neon prices here, now that cut-throat pricing has moved to magnetic signs I quoted on: $75.00/pair two color cut vinyl 12x24, client got a written quote from a newbie, same size/colors but all digital print for $35.00/pair!

This kind of advertising bull crap has being going on since the invention of AC and DC current by Tesla and Edison. Edison, backed by JP Morgan and Tesla, backed by George Westinghouse got in a cut throat battle in the late 1800's that is still practiced today. Rather than focus on the good each design could offer the customer, each became engrossed in befaming the other.....in fact, it's exactly what the LED folks have spent most of their advertising dollars on in their war against neon, even though each has a valid place in our industry.

I am all for each man having the opportunity to make a living in a non monopolized economy. Price wars will always exist, but the slander and below the belt casturation tactics some business employ makes me want to puke. Nevertheless, it is what it is.

BTW Mark, your post about the battle with the Historic Preservation Committee was a great read....I think we have all dealt with this in our small towns who still can't figure out why the businesses have moved out of their downtown area into malls and to places that have no such limitations on business being able to spend money on signs and advertising. Their deep rooted hsitorical brains can't adjust to the 21st Century and will likely hold on to their unrealistic views until they return to dust.