ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Anybody reconize this truck

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board Patron

Probably didn't get paid for it. Went and took it back. I personally would not get involved unless I knew the facts. I have had to repo stuff before.

Edited by chubbygumby

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

More of the story as told to me, guy with the truck gets a call from a former co worker who has also gone solo and started his own company. Says he has been hired to remove the EMC and could he (the guy with the truck) meet him there Saturday morning for a crane lift. The guy has just bought the truck and getting started so he could use the money so he agrees. They remove the first side, load it in a pickup truck and determine that there is not enough room for the other side so guy leaves with the first side to go get another pickup. Leaves guy with the crane (who does not have a clue they are stealing it) sitting there waiting on him to return. Guy eventually shows back up with an empty pickup, they load the second side and leave. Guy with the crane leisurely goes across the street to a convenience store to buy a drink and then goes home.

This is a national chain fast food restaurant, broad daylight and they are open. Nobody goes out to ask what they are doing the entire time.

It is really bizarre, did he not know those things are serialized and what is he going to do about software, radios, ect?

• Board Patron

There is easier stuff to steal,

I vote

a. repo by unpaid installer :thumbs:

• Like 2

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

I vote

Gotta say that Rocco makes sense on this caper. There are definitely easier things to steal so why go through all this trouble and risk with a identifiable piece of large equipment??

Must be more to the story than meets the eye.

Curious indeed..........

Best

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

I vote

Gotta say that Rocco makes sense on this caper. There are definitely easier things to steal so why go through all this trouble and risk with a identifiable piece of large equipment??

Must be more to the story than meets the eye.

Curious indeed..........

Best

its a repo- which is illegal in most places. the sign is a fixture, needs a court order to repo unless your paperwork is right. on my invoices i put " sign is property of spectrum signs until final payment is received. a deposit is part of this contract & will not stop removal of sign if payment in full is not received upon installation.

• !llumenati

My Invoice states....All products delivered to the purchaser under this contract shall remain the property of Paul Signs Inc. whether the same have been installed in or attached to real property or not. Until the purchase price is paid in full, Paul Signs Inc. shall have the right to to repossess its products and to enter upon and sever the same from any real property where delivered or installed.

It works. We always are paid.

• Like 2

• Board Patron

Heck yes Paul .. I am changing my invoices

Edited by chubbygumby

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

My Invoice states....All products delivered to the purchaser under this contract shall remain the property of Paul Signs Inc. whether the same have been installed in or attached to real property or not. Until the purchase price is paid in full, Paul Signs Inc. shall have the right to to repossess its products and to enter upon and sever the same from any real property where delivered or installed.

It works. We always are paid.

My contract is pretty much the same but a couple years ago I was repoing a sign in Ocean City and the owner called the cops. I had copies of contract as well as the original and copies of the unpaid invoice. Cops said it did not matter what my contract said, the law stated I was trespassing and she would have to lock me up. She said it is not their job to enforce a private contract. I asked her who was going to be responsible for the sign that was 1/2 removed because I sure as hell wasn't re-installing it. Luckily, the owner was being a real jerk even to the police (foreigner) and the cop got mad with him. Long story short they almost arrested him for interfering with the cops. I got a police bodyguard while I finished taking the pylon down and she told me it would not happen that way again, next time I would go to jail. I thanked her profusely and came back to my shop. When all was said and done I got paid the balance of what I was owed originally, got paid to take it down, got paid to put it back up and he requested while reinstalling it to lower the entire sign 6' which cost him even more. I made him pay for everything in certified funds before I touched a tap. It worked out for me on that one, but it could have ended with me being arrested. I told the cop I was willing to go to jail if it meant I got the sign down.

I had another sub shop that tried to stiff me on final payment. Repo'd 2 of his locations same morning. When we finally spoke later that morning he told me if he knew I was serious about enforcing the contract he would have paid me. Cost him a lot of extra money but he still calls me for work several years later and always pays me same day.

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Yes Richard, We went to the same business school. I have done exactly the same with the same results. Always paid in the end.

And yes to the cops. The customer usually pisses off the cops and then the cop says..." how fast can you pull down the sign "

• Board Patron

I repoed electrical parts at Karate school that wouldn't pay, not thinking at all. I got everything out on a Sunday at 6am. I cant sleep when people piss me off.

A few months later a crack head breaks into a karate school and gets the crap kick out of him. I thought what kind of an idiot would do that. I guess its all timing, you have to do your repo's early a.m., people that owe money usually sleep in everyday, thats why they owe money.

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

I never repo signs because of non payment....I remove them because I discovered there is inferior material used by mistake and it is a hazard so I need to remove and repair or asap. I will reinstall asap...oops. While I happen to discuss this with the customer I say " oh by the way...there is a small balance due on this"

• Haha 1

In Kansas, the law says that once a fixture is installed, it becomes a part of the real estate and cannot be repossessed. A lawsuit gets you a little piece of paper that says "Yes, he really does owe you the money" - and that is as good as nothing.

Eventually we found out that you can, instead, sue for a "Writ of Replevin" - which gives you the legal right to repossess the sign, or parts, or whatever. When you show up at high noon, with this writ in hand, it's amazing how fast a check can be written. You can also request a Sheriff's deputy to be on hand, there is no charge for this. If the police are called, the Sheriff trumps the local police.

The owner never shows up to defend the suit, you win by default, and it's just as easy to get the writ as a money judgement.

A contract between 2 private parties has to be settled in Civil court.

Until a judge rules that the contract is binding you are taking the law into your own hands and can be arrested.

Many times contracts that are written by lawyers are ruled by judges to be non-binding for various reasons. I know, I have had it happen to me.

I'm not sure how companies that re-po vehicles get away with it. They must have some sort of special allowance.

I would like to here an attorney's take on it.

We had a similar situation in Texas while we were repo-ing a sign. The police told us that we had to leave the property and suggested we come back after hours when the owner wasn't there to report it.

That's what we did ... and we got paid, including for the cost to remove it and the cost to re-install it.

In my opinion this type of thing is happening more and more. People are just taking advantage and trying to stick it to the company that put all the work in. I even had one customer who was very happy with his sign but shortpaid us $75 because "it's not worth your time to fight it for only $75."