ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Signs of the times

Erik Sine

Flo-Lite Sign and Screen Print, located at 819 West Third Street, will be celebrating its 60th anniversary in Big Spring.

flo.jpg

Doris Vieregge, owner and operator of Flo-Lite Screen Printing, scrapes the letters from a sign that’s been at local restaurant Rocky’s for more than two decades. Vieregge is the third generation of her family to run the local business.(HERALD photo/Thomas Jenkins)

When Doris Vieregge and Tina Martin say, “We started it all,” they can say it proudly.

Texans have seen this Big Spring company’s work for more than 80 years, starting in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. It is one of the oldest — if not the oldest — sign companies in Texas continually operating and owned by one family since its beginning.

The company began with founder Alvin Vieregge, who in 1922 was sent to New York City to meet and accompany the first piece of neon ever brought into the United States from France. He delivered the sign to Los Angeles and installed it on top of a Packard automobile dealership. The unique blinking sign was purchased at a cost of $1,200 (by comparison, the cheapest new Packard on the lot sold for $3,600).

Alvin then returned to the Dallas area and began construction on the first flying red horse for the Mobil Oil Company. The sign was built before the age of cranes, and had to be constructed piece by piece and hauled to the top of the building in freight elevators and assembled on top of the Magnolia Building. It was a Texas landmark for decades and could be seen for more than 20 miles before the construction of the present high rise office buildings.

When the structure began to deteriorate several years ago, it was moved to its permanent location in the museum at the Farmers Market. The structure was replaced with a new installation in the early 1990s.

Other early historic installations in the early 1920s by Flo-Lite were at the historic Majestic Theaters in Dallas and San Antonio.

By the late 1920s Alvin began his weekly run from Fort Worth to El Paso, installing and servicing hundreds of neon signs. Many became landmarks across the western part of the state and some still remain in service.

The Vieregge family moved to Big Spring in the early 1940s. At that time, Alvin was employed at the Big Spring Bombardier base. After the war, he returned to the sign business full-time and in 1947 opened Flo-Lite Sign Co.

In the early 1950s his son, Charles Vieregge, joined him in the business. When Alvin passed away in 1971, Charles assumed the business operation.

From the 1940s to the late 1990s, almost all the bank signs, neon, restaurant signs, time temperature signs, convenience store, billboard and motel signs across West Texas were either designed by and-or installed by Flo-Lite Signs.

In 1980, Doris Vieregge joined the family operation and assumed the screen printing and graphic design area of the business. At that time, all art work was laid out and drawn by hand. All of the designs that were used for screen printing textiles were hand drawn on clear acetate film and developed onto fabric screens for printing.

It was not until the early 1990s that the first sign computers came into use at the shop.

Since Charles’ death in 2001, Doris has assumed the business and continued to expand the company’s area and product lines.

Tina Martin, Doris and Charles’ daughter, who is the fourth generation, is now taking the lead.

Although outside installations and neon are not a part of the business now, they do offer full color graphic design banners and signs, flat signs, custom car graphics, advertising products, screen printing up to six colors and full in-house embroidery and dozens of other items and services.

Over the years dozens of like businesses came to town, only to fade away in a short time.

“We can safely say at Flo-Lite you can count on us to continue the family business for years to come,” said Doris. “The company continues to honor the same steadfast family commitment of providing customers with quality products and outstanding personal service that the company has been known for since its beginnings more than 80 years ago.”

Visit Flo-Lite on the Web at www.flolite.com to see the broad range of services that are offered.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Yeah,

Ummmm

Ok

I'd rather not say anything....if this is what the "sign" business does to women later on in life....

Not happening on my end......I'll stick with the drill and tool belt........

Yeah,

Ummmm

Ok

I'd rather not say anything....if this is what the "sign" business does to women later on in life....

I'll bet back in the day she was hot!

TEastin

I'll bet back in the day she was hot!

My sentiments exactly, Travis. And even today, she strikes a handsome figure. :eyebrow:

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

• !llumenati
Yeah,

Ummmm

Ok

Hmmmm...just a drill and tool belt??? That'd make a good pic for the nudie section! :P

• Topics

• It depends on what's under the EIFS.   If it's plywood under the foam, then toggles are fine for a lightweight sign.  If masonry, we've come to like the titen HD (simpson strong tie brand) anchors or long wedge anchors.   The Titen HD screws are more user friendly than tapcons IMO.   They come in a variety of sizes, sometimes even at the big home centers.   Just check to see if it's densglass (fiberglass wall panels) under the foam.  Engineeners have told us that densglass isn't "structural" and that things need to be thru-bolted with uni-strut (or equal) sleepers across studs inside the wall.  A few years back, we were called out for an emergency call where someone had installed some large raceway channel letter signs to an EIFS wall that had densglass behind.  They used lag screws.  These held for a while but a heavy snow caused them to fail.   And toggles should work with Densglass but again not for any heavy loads.    In any case don't compress the foam too much.  A sleeve (mentioned above) would be needed for whatever the depth of the foam might be, though probably not needed for something light like an ACM panel.   if it's a really small sign, then appropriate exterior screws are usually OK going into plywood.  
    • Interested in neon manifold for my personal shop 484 862 6095 ask for Johnny
    • Are there any recommendations for the best types of anchors to use for lightweight signs on EIFS?  <a href=" https://www.phoenixstuccocontractor.com/"> Phoenix Stucco Contractors</a>
    • Hi   Can anyone tell me the right color red and blue translucent vinyl for the "new" Pepsi logo?  We have a local ice cream spot that recently changed from Coke to Pepsi and we have to replace the graphics on a couple of lit cabinets.   The customer sent me the logo in various formats but it didn't specify the correct colors.   I've searched but keep getting CYMK, etc. for the older logo - 2022 or so.   Thanks!