ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Ventex Technology, Inc. Announces the Appointment of Jim Sloan

Kgirl

Ventex Technology, Inc. Announces the Appointment of Jim Sloan

Press Release 365 Next Generation News Wire

Riviera Beach, Florida 05/26/07 - Ventex Technology, Inc., the leading manufacturer of energy efficient electronic neon power supplies, has recently hired Jim Sloan as their new Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. Mr. Sloan will lead all aspects of Ventex sales & marketing efforts including the upcoming launch of their new line of electronic HO fluorescent ballasts.

"Jim is an enormous asset to the Ventex Team", said Ventex President, John Boyd. "He brings a wealth of knowledge and experiences that will help Ventex successfully expand into new markets while strengthening our leadership position in neon power supplies."

Jim Sloan led high-growth sales and marketing teams in several industries including capital equipment, construction services and specialty chemicals. He has played a leadership role in the successful development and growth of two start-up organizations.

About Ventex Technology

Ventex is the leading supplier of indoor and outdoor electronic neon power supplies to the sign industry. Ventex will soon introduce their new "Advantage" brand HO electronic fluorescent ballast featuring breakthrough flexibility and energy saving technology.

Press Release 365 Next Generation News Wire

I'm looking forward to these new ballasts. I've been disappointed with the 2 brands that I've been using.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

I have had need for them a couple times since hearing about them. The success I have had with John's transformers give me high expectations for his ballasts.

I wonder how many neon guys will give him shit for hiring a person named Sloan? :ban::led1:

(just kidding!)

TEastin

I haven't had that many run ins with electronic ballasts, only servicing existing signs with these ballasts installed. I've serviced 3 signs in the last year or so, and all three required ballasts still on warranty to be replaced. I noticed 2 things about them. Condensation within the sign, not standing water, seems to have been the cause of the failure, though physically the ballasts looked fine. No matter how tight a sign is built, condensation, at least in our area, is going to be present. Magnetic ballasts don't seem to have this problem. The other thing I've noticed with the 2 brands that I've dealt with is that the wiring is not standardized, so if it's Brand A it's best replaced with another Brand A, etc. This problem may be dealt with eventually.

I know John doesn't like to toot his own horn, at least on this board, but an answer to technical questions would be appreciated. Is condensation a factor in the failure of electronic ballasts? And if so, is Ventex addressing this issue?

joemomma

1946-2008

I have seen only a few in existing signs. Generally I see a need for electroninc ballasts when supplied primary voltage comes to play. Electronic ballasts seem to have all the voltages covered without having to buy a step down transformers of some sort.

TEastin

Interesting comment about condensation in other ballasts. I have to admit that I haven't heard about that, but can see that it's possible.

What is Ventex doing? First, we're not using tar like everyone else. We didn't like it. Putting 300 to 400+ degree tar on electronic components didn't seem wise, plus the thermal transfer of tar is very poor. Not great sealing in our opinion either. So we are potting our new ballast in epoxy, same as what we use on our channel letter neon power supplies (except for color). Much better thermal transfer, great sealing against the elements and no hot pitch on the goodies inside. Yes, it does cost about four times as much as tar, but we think you guys are worth it!!

And yes, I've gotten some comments about hiring a Sloan as my VP Sales & Marketing. That is until they get a chance to meet him; then they find out he tells the truth and is an okay guy.

• !llumenati
Interesting comment about condensation in other ballasts. I have to admit that I haven't heard about that, but can see that it's possible.

What is Ventex doing? First, we're not using tar like everyone else. We didn't like it. Putting 300 to 400+ degree tar on electronic components didn't seem wise, plus the thermal transfer of tar is very poor. Not great sealing in our opinion either. So we are potting our new ballast in epoxy, same as what we use on our channel letter neon power supplies (except for color). Much better thermal transfer, great sealing against the elements and no hot pitch on the goodies inside. Yes, it does cost about four times as much as tar, but we think you guys are worth it!!

And yes, I've gotten some comments about hiring a Sloan as my VP Sales & Marketing. That is until they get a chance to meet him; then they find out he tells the truth and is an okay guy.

He'd have to be an okay to be hired by you. As long as I've know you, you've been one of the few mfg's that would stand up and take the heat and discuss problems and issues. I was always impressed by that, as most would ignore or run and hide.

However, you could haev just hired me-------------then you wouldn't have had to deal with Sloan as a last name!!!!

gn

• !llumenati

I have met Jim in Vegas and talked to him on the phone. He's OK in my book. I think it is a good selling point for him to go into shops and give his card and express the advantages of Neon over LED.

John, You did make his name in bold print, didn't you.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

However, you could haev just hired me-------------then you wouldn't have had to deal with Sloan as a last name!!!!

gn

That would have cost him more money annually...just think of having to double the size of his customer support department :P

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Any idea when we will see those ballasts hit the streets?

The fliers are out, so I imagine the product availability won't be far behind.

Some interesting things I noticed in the flier: *The "others" below are the ones I have worked with - Brand X and Brand XX.

Ventex has a starting temp of -30 degrees F. The others - -20 degrees F. Max operating temp is 122 degrees F. That seems pretty low to me. I don't know what the others are. Maybe John can address this. I've been in signs in the middle of August where it seemed to be hotter than that. I imagine down south it can get even hotter.

Ventex will have 3 ballasts available, all of which will operate one 4' lamp. The others can't say that. One of Ventex's will operate 4-50'. The others max out at 48'

Ventex will operate 10' lamps. I know at least one of the others (maybe both) will not operate 10' lamps.

Ventex wiring is so simple, even a caveman can wire one. Of course the others are pretty simple too.

Ventex will operate T12 and T8. The others - T12 only. (On this note - look for T12's to be history relatively soon. T12 HO strip lighting is no longer being manufactured according to all the supply houses in town.)

joemomma

1946-2008