ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Sign of the times

Erik Sine

Sign of the times

Craig McEwen, The Forum

Published Saturday, December 29, 2007

nclock.jpg

Tom Nelson looks over a finished University of North Dakota neon

clock at Indigo Signworks. Photos by David Samson / The Forum

Creating a railroad crossing sign for school vehicles drove Tom Nelson into the sign business.

Nelson and two former partners launched Indigo Signworks in 1996. They sold and serviced signs from a 2,000-square-foot shop in Fargo.

Today, Indigo Signworks’ corporate shingle hangs on a 30,000-square-foot, multifaceted production facility at 1622 Main Ave.

Indigo has more than 50 employees spread among the Fargo headquarters and branches in Bismarck and Grand Forks, N.D., and Alexandria, Minn.

Its fleet of vehicles includes 11 sign-erection cranes and 15 service trucks.

“The first job we did, that was significant, was for Arvid Benson Furniture. We didn’t even have a crane-truck at the time,” said Nelson, who worked for the Moorhead School District’s transportation department while attending college.

While working for the district, Nelson devised a permanently mounted vehicle sign announcing stops at railroad crossings, which replaced magnetic signs that kept disappearing.

Nelson eventually decided to get into the sign business.

Now, after nearly 12 years, Indigo Signworks produces all types of signs – from traditional electric signs to engraved, vinyl, neon, digital and LED (light-emitting diode) signs.

The size of signs ranges from small realty signs and custom boat and snowmobile licensing graphics to massive cornerstones such as the three-pillar, 85-foot-tall West Acres mall sign with a 10-foot-by-23-foot electronic message center, said CEO Bernie Dardis.

The first “decent-sized” sign Nelson sold carried a $13,552 price tag. “Some of these structures are approaching a couple hundred-thousand dollars,” he said.

As Fargo-Moorhead grew, so did Indigo.

“We made a conscious decision to become a full-service sign company,” said Dardis, who has logged nearly three decades in the industry and more than three years with Indigo.

“As the evolution took place, customers realized that we had all of the offerings that were needed to support their needs as consumers of sign products,” he said.

A changing industry

“Twenty-five years ago, everything was hand-painted,” said Indigo service and installation manager Luke Schlosser, a former farm boy who has installed signs from California to Florida for a quarter-century.

“All of a sudden, it was vinyl,” he said. “Now it’s gone another step, and digital prints is what they want.”

Sign production has progressed from being a small box on a stick to becoming an architectural element, Nelson said.

“If anything, we’ve become a branding tool for companies,” he said. “It’s become way more sophisticated than it was 10 years ago.”

Addictive profession

Nelson had no sign industry experience when he launched Indigo Signworks.

“I was supposed to be an elementary education teacher,” he said. “Once I got a taste of this disease we call the sign business, I couldn’t get rid of it.”

Production manager Dave Barker quit farming in Gardner, N.D., in 2001 and brought his welding skills to Indigo.

Several Indigo employees speak of the profession’s addictive nature.

After one year of installing signs during the winter, Schlosser said he was ready to quit.

That was 25 years ago.

letters.jpg

Signs of all shapes and sizes are fabricated in the workshop at Indigo Signworks in Fargo.

“I’m still doing the same thing in the same cold environment,” he said.

“I can remember the moment I got hooked,” he said. Schlosser helped install the neon-lit Budweiser sign near Fargo’s Interstate 29-Interstate 94 interchange.

“They were going to light it up that night, and all the big shots were coming in from St. Louis,” Schlosser said. “It came on and I said, ‘Wow, that was cool.’ The reward of seeing the finished product is what keeps you here.”

Indigo is a “melting pot” of experienced sign industry workers, Nelson said.

Estimator Jeff Douglas grew up in the sign business in Ashland, Wis., where his family owned and operated Douglas Signs.

Fabricator Tom Clary has been in the sign business for two decades, Nelson said.

Purchasing department director Doug Wolf has 15 years under his belt, including time in sales, fabrication and sign installation.

Recently hired graphics manager Jesse Liedberg has 13 years in the industry.

weld.jpg

Fabricator Tom Clary assembles the framework for a sign in the

workshop of Indigo Signworks in Fargo. David Samson / The Forum

His staff of seven includes three graphic designers and several technicians.

“We produce the conceptual drawings for sales people,” Liedberg said. “It’s a prototype every time we produce something. There’s never the same thing twice when it comes to sign work.”

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Topics

• It depends on what's under the EIFS.   If it's plywood under the foam, then toggles are fine for a lightweight sign.  If masonry, we've come to like the titen HD (simpson strong tie brand) anchors or long wedge anchors.   The Titen HD screws are more user friendly than tapcons IMO.   They come in a variety of sizes, sometimes even at the big home centers.   Just check to see if it's densglass (fiberglass wall panels) under the foam.  Engineeners have told us that densglass isn't "structural" and that things need to be thru-bolted with uni-strut (or equal) sleepers across studs inside the wall.  A few years back, we were called out for an emergency call where someone had installed some large raceway channel letter signs to an EIFS wall that had densglass behind.  They used lag screws.  These held for a while but a heavy snow caused them to fail.   And toggles should work with Densglass but again not for any heavy loads.    In any case don't compress the foam too much.  A sleeve (mentioned above) would be needed for whatever the depth of the foam might be, though probably not needed for something light like an ACM panel.   if it's a really small sign, then appropriate exterior screws are usually OK going into plywood.  
    • Interested in neon manifold for my personal shop 484 862 6095 ask for Johnny
    • Are there any recommendations for the best types of anchors to use for lightweight signs on EIFS?  <a href=" https://www.phoenixstuccocontractor.com/"> Phoenix Stucco Contractors</a>
    • Hi   Can anyone tell me the right color red and blue translucent vinyl for the "new" Pepsi logo?  We have a local ice cream spot that recently changed from Coke to Pepsi and we have to replace the graphics on a couple of lit cabinets.   The customer sent me the logo in various formats but it didn't specify the correct colors.   I've searched but keep getting CYMK, etc. for the older logo - 2022 or so.   Thanks!