ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Historic sign stolen from Ballard's Olympic Athletic Club

Erik Sine

Historic sign stolen from Ballard's Olympic Athletic Club

By CASEY MCNERTHNEY

P-I REPORTER

reward.jpg

An arrow, once lit by light bulbs, graced this sign on a former bowling alley on Ballard Avenue Northwest.

The lighted arrow that hung next to the Olympic Athletic Club on Ballard Avenue Northwest hadn't worked for years and, with rust and missing bulbs, was easily overlooked.

But the club's general manager knew the arrow's historical value and had about $10,000 set aside to restore it and the attached sign.

Instead, he was planning to post reward posters Wednesday, three days after the arrow was reported stolen.

"It was 50 years old, and that's what really irks me," Mark Durall said. "Whoever did this had to have a ladder and several tools."

According to a police report, filed Sunday, the arrow hung about 15 feet off the ground in the 5200 block of Ballard Avenue Northwest, and was stolen Feb. 23 or 24. The report listed no suspects.

Durall has offered a $500 reward, "no questions asked."

The arrow, which was once lit with incandescent bulbs, was installed when the now-one-story garage was a bowling alley where staff members would set pins by hand, Durall said. The building was erected in 1921, according to King County property records, and was scheduled to be demolished later this year for a four-story hotel.

"But I wanted to keep the sign as a colorful part of the historic district," Durall said, adding that the club owners' $14 million project is scheduled to be completed in 2009.

He said City Lights Sign Co. gave him a $9,750 estimate in January to restore the arrow with bulbs and the sign with black, red and gold neon. Company owner Martha Davis said signs similar to the arrow were popular in the 1930s, '40s and '50s, and she estimated that only one or two such signs are now made in Seattle annually.

Durall said that about two weeks ago, two men approached him about buying the sign. He said it wasn't for sale and didn't discuss a price.

"I guess that wasn't the answer they wanted to hear."

Heather McAuliffe, coordinator for the Ballard Avenue Landmarks Review Board, was not familiar with the club's plans, but said exterior changes to buildings along Ballard Avenue Northwest require approval from the board -- including sign restorations.

"It's a shame someone took something they planned to incorporate into the new design," said Beth Miller, executive director of the Ballard Chamber of Commerce. "The fact that it didn't work, it makes you wonder why someone wanted it."

P-I reporter Casey McNerthney can be reached at 206-448-8220 or caseymcnerthney@seattlepi.com.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Where was Ted that night? Better go check the new Sign Museum, LOL J/K :lol_hitting:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Topics

• It depends on what's under the EIFS.   If it's plywood under the foam, then toggles are fine for a lightweight sign.  If masonry, we've come to like the titen HD (simpson strong tie brand) anchors or long wedge anchors.   The Titen HD screws are more user friendly than tapcons IMO.   They come in a variety of sizes, sometimes even at the big home centers.   Just check to see if it's densglass (fiberglass wall panels) under the foam.  Engineeners have told us that densglass isn't "structural" and that things need to be thru-bolted with uni-strut (or equal) sleepers across studs inside the wall.  A few years back, we were called out for an emergency call where someone had installed some large raceway channel letter signs to an EIFS wall that had densglass behind.  They used lag screws.  These held for a while but a heavy snow caused them to fail.   And toggles should work with Densglass but again not for any heavy loads.    In any case don't compress the foam too much.  A sleeve (mentioned above) would be needed for whatever the depth of the foam might be, though probably not needed for something light like an ACM panel.   if it's a really small sign, then appropriate exterior screws are usually OK going into plywood.  
    • Interested in neon manifold for my personal shop 484 862 6095 ask for Johnny
    • Are there any recommendations for the best types of anchors to use for lightweight signs on EIFS?  <a href=" https://www.phoenixstuccocontractor.com/"> Phoenix Stucco Contractors</a>
    • Hi   Can anyone tell me the right color red and blue translucent vinyl for the "new" Pepsi logo?  We have a local ice cream spot that recently changed from Coke to Pepsi and we have to replace the graphics on a couple of lit cabinets.   The customer sent me the logo in various formats but it didn't specify the correct colors.   I've searched but keep getting CYMK, etc. for the older logo - 2022 or so.   Thanks!