ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Can R&D Save GE?

Erik Sine

Can R&D Save GE?

Posted by: Steve Hamm on October 19

Most of the news out of GE these days is bad. If the stories aren’t about the company’s deeply screwed up credit subsidiary, they’re about the uncertain future of the NBC Universal media and entertainment business. Now, with Comcast apparently on the verge of buying controlling interest in NBC Universal, the key to GE’s future is coming into focus: It’s the company’s core industrial businesses—which make everything from nuclear power generators and locomotives to jet engines, wind turbines, refrigerators, and health care equipment. And, of course, light bulbs.

Fortunately for GE and its investors, CEO Jeff Immelt takes innovation in the core businesses very seriously. Since he took over as CEO from Jack Welch in 2001, he has tripled the annual output of patents and doubled the company’s level of investment in overall R&D. That includes increasing the funding of basic scientific research at the labs from $315 million in 2001 to $555 million last year.

It can take years or even decades for investments in this kind of research to pay off, but Immelt and GE don’t have the luxury of time. They need to see those R&D payoffs in the next couple of years. Otherwise, GE could wind up shivering in Wall Street’s dog house for a very long time and Immelt could be out of a job.

I recently spent a day chock-full of meetings with scientists at GE’s main laboratory in Niskayuna, New York. What I saw there gave me the belief that an innovation-led surge at GE is at least in the realm of possibility. It’s no sure thing. But R&D could save GE.

GE has launched a PR spin campaign around its R&D initiatives. It invited equity analysts up to Niskayuna a couple of weeks before my visit, but got mixed reviews. While Scott Davis of Morgan Stanley recommended the stock after he came back, Sterne Agee analyst Nicholas Heymann, who didn't attend the briefing, warned that "Increasingly, the success of today's technologies can be made or broken by legislative reforms." He has a "sell" recommendation on the stock.

I don't mind being spun if there's real substance behind it--and, in this case, there is.

To me, the main thing that counts in GE's favor is it's thinking really big. A number of its research innovations could reshape entire industries. For instance, it's developing so-called continuous detonation systems for powering aircraft--which it claims could deliver 30% energy savings. A prototype is due out in 2010. "In each of the advanced technology areas, we have advances that will change the world," I was told by Michael Idelchik, vice-president for advanced technology at GE Global Research.

The science GE is working on is quite diverse, from nanotechnology and molecular imaging to organic electronics, sustainable energy, and energy conversion. In addition to Niskayuna, GE has labs in Bangalore, Shanghai, and Munich--and plans a clean energy technology center in Masdar City, Abu Dhabi; and a manufacturing technology center near Detroit. It has 2800 research employees worldwide.

The company attempts to produce advances in science that can be applied broadly across its product portfolio. Business leaders are constantly looking for adjacent markets to the ones they're already in--where they can build on their scientific domain knowledge. That's how GE was able to reinvent sodium battery chemistry and begin quickly developing batteries for locomotives and heavy-duty vehicles.

One of the coolest projects they showed me was a process for manufacturing organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs)for general lighting applications. The goal is to create lighting that is bright, efficient, cheap, and long lasting. In a pilot manufacturing facility in Niskayuna, they print OLED material on sheets of clear plastic then seal it from air and water. It's a bit like the way a newspaper it printed--with the roll of plastic running continuously through a series of machines. Anil Duggal, the research manager in charge of the project, showed me how durable the end product is. He used a paper punch to poke several holes in a sheet of lighting material. The punch knocked out the light where it cut but left it intact all around. "There are no light bulbs you can do that with! Duggal told me.

He hopes GE will have OLED lights on the market in 2011, but, first, there's a little bit of science to attend to. His team has to improve the efficiency of the light so it matches that of compact fluorescent lights (CFLs). It also has to come up with a better coating for keeping out the elements.

Another intriguing GE research project is in the nanotechnology sphere. Margaret Blohm, the advanced technology program leader for nanotechnology, is experimenting with using nano-materials to prevent ice from building up in jet engines. GE scientists adapted the idea from nature. They studied a lotus flower leaf to understand how the surface of the leaf repels water. Because of the leaf's unusual texture, the tension on the surface of the water droplet is not broken, so it slides off. GE scientists believe that if they can engineer a synthetic surface like this for jet engine parts and wind turbines, the force of the wind will prevent ice from sticking to the surface. That would mean they could make engines that are lighter, using less material and requiring less energy.

As with OLEDs, there's still a bunch of science and testing to be done on the de-icing technology. But these initiatives and several others at the labs seem to be well-along in the development process. Some big-revenue projects seem likely to come down the pike in the next two or three years.

Will GE innovation produce enough revenue growth fast enough? That's still to be proven. But at least GE has made the investments and its moving aggressively. It's possible that a GE turnaround could begin to gain traction as the world comes out of its deep slump.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

OLEDs represent huge possibilities, but I think even 2011 is extremely optimistic. Specialty products maybe, with mass market stuff at least 2 years or more behind that.

I saw an OLED demo once that was impressive but after the sheet was put into a container and oxygen was removed- way off from making it in thr real world but may be great for medical or military displays

Edited by High Voltage

• Topics

• It depends on what's under the EIFS.   If it's plywood under the foam, then toggles are fine for a lightweight sign.  If masonry, we've come to like the titen HD (simpson strong tie brand) anchors or long wedge anchors.   The Titen HD screws are more user friendly than tapcons IMO.   They come in a variety of sizes, sometimes even at the big home centers.   Just check to see if it's densglass (fiberglass wall panels) under the foam.  Engineeners have told us that densglass isn't "structural" and that things need to be thru-bolted with uni-strut (or equal) sleepers across studs inside the wall.  A few years back, we were called out for an emergency call where someone had installed some large raceway channel letter signs to an EIFS wall that had densglass behind.  They used lag screws.  These held for a while but a heavy snow caused them to fail.   And toggles should work with Densglass but again not for any heavy loads.    In any case don't compress the foam too much.  A sleeve (mentioned above) would be needed for whatever the depth of the foam might be, though probably not needed for something light like an ACM panel.   if it's a really small sign, then appropriate exterior screws are usually OK going into plywood.  
    • Interested in neon manifold for my personal shop 484 862 6095 ask for Johnny
    • Are there any recommendations for the best types of anchors to use for lightweight signs on EIFS?  <a href=" https://www.phoenixstuccocontractor.com/"> Phoenix Stucco Contractors</a>
    • Hi   Can anyone tell me the right color red and blue translucent vinyl for the "new" Pepsi logo?  We have a local ice cream spot that recently changed from Coke to Pepsi and we have to replace the graphics on a couple of lit cabinets.   The customer sent me the logo in various formats but it didn't specify the correct colors.   I've searched but keep getting CYMK, etc. for the older logo - 2022 or so.   Thanks!