ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Business

Travis

For several years now I have had the plan to start my own business. I have experience with many areas of the business from sales, production to installation. I have been reading about the the other things that an owner has to deal with such as government requirements, legal and such(unfortunately I tend to retain info much better with hands on experience). I feel basically I have much of what is needed to endure such a venture of sole proprietorship. I have several pieces of equipment already. I have the basic business plan figured out for myself. I think most of what would be needed is in place or is figured out how to get it in place.

My question to you folks is, how did you decide it was time to make the move? How did you decide to let yourself have the balls to put yourself out there? When and how did you kick all the negative thoughts out of your head?

TEastin

My first thing I have to say to you is this.

The only way you can be successful is to take a risk. To take a chance at failing, even if you do fail it's okay. In order to succeed you must fail first. How many game winning shots did Michael Jordan miss? A hell of a lot more than he made

I was 20 when I was introduced formally into the sign industry by chance. I loved graphic arts throughout school and working with computers. So when I was given a job everything sort of fell into place for me. I worked for just one other person from the initial introduction and 6 months later form the first day of signs I was on my own. For me it was because I had to, I had a 4 month year old boy and I had to out of my family survival. What did I have to loose? I could go back to bagging groceries? But I always was a self starter. My last sign shop ( I only worked for 2), I was at odds with the owner and we always butted heads. I worked for him for 3 months, and in the last 1.5 months I was passing my cards under empty suites and shops. Towards the last weeks of my employment I was in the back of the shop and I overheard my boss in his office screaming to his top salesman "Who is this Erik Guy?!?!?!" A long pause then the office door opened. "Erik, come into my office please" Shocked I walked into his office. "Erik, what's your last name?" I told him and he sort of had a shocked look on his face. He thanked me and told me to go about my business. His salesmen had seen all my cards I had passed out throughout the city. As I worked in the back of the shop I was getting paged from my g/f at the time who was taking messages, so I had to sneak out of the shop and make my business calls.

One day I just got tired of making $7.50 an hour. My intention to work for a sign company was fullfilled, I thought I had learned all I could from that shop and start on my own. So I quit, and started bidding jobs. As each job went I would put into my cost, tools. As each job went I grew with more tools. I took out a small 5k loan and bought a roland 24" vinyl cutter.

I now had a fire under my ass, competition with my much hated boss. My old work became my nemeses. Anytime I saw one of their cards under a door I fished it out, every time I was bidding a similar job I would under bid them. I made it a point to destroy my old place of work. That was my fire. Sounds sick but it was my motivation. Everyone who wants to own their own business has to be motivated and work your ass off.

There will always be negatives and you "can" fail. You have to try or one day you may regret it. My drive was there initially but my knowledge was not. I took on jobs I had no idea on how I was going to do it, but I did it at the end. My drive exceeded my knowledge.

As you know there are the + & -'s. You are your own source of income and the job is not layed out in front of you like the average Joe.

Just remember, a day dreamer will always stay sleeping

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Wow! I figure either it was a stupid thought to ask for stories or it was a stupid thought to ask for stories.

Such is life. If you cant do it on your own, dont plan to get it done.

Thanks for the story Sign Guy. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

TEastin

I think theres all kinds of stories out there, ones of inspiration and ones that can scare you. It's just going to be up to you to be able to work hard and enjoy what you do. From reading all your posts it sounds to me like you really do have what it takes. I'm all for you doing it, I enjoy it that's for sure :D

I think I could be a great asset somewhere working for someone. But to know I could make a big chunk in one job myself that would take me a couple weeks being paid hourly would kill me inside. But the upside working for someone else is, business aspect is not my problem and I won't stress :P So +'s & -'s

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I think theres all kinds of stories out there, ones of inspiration and ones that can scare you.  It's just going to be up to you to be able to work hard and enjoy what you do.  From reading all your posts it sounds to me like you really do have what it takes.  I'm all for you doing it, I enjoy it that's for sure  :D

I think I could be a great asset somewhere working for someone.  But to know I could make a big chunk in one job myself that would take me a couple weeks being paid hourly would kill me inside.  But the upside working for someone else is, business aspect is not my problem and I won't stress  :P  So +'s & -'s

Like I said earlier, I appreciate the thoughts, time and stories West Coast.

I know my day will soon come. And I have no doubt that I will do fine. But I do have the nay sayers and my own personal issues at times. So I asked how others kept themselves on track to their dreams and goals. Plus I enjoy hearing or reading those types of stories. But its odd to me that often people dont care to share their story. I dont understand why. I would think it something to be proud of. Oh well I guess.

TEastin

Hmmm, well I would but I'm not to set on any equipment or anything. Right now i'm staying employed by someone else. Not to much I can do living in a condo and all. Down the road when i get more serious into it I will. I party a lot still and just living day to day. The thought is there though. Do it travis! I might be leaving the sign world soon as I'm not covered by my parents insurance anymore. I would need to shack up with some girl who has insurance for me to be self-employed. I can't afford a huge jump, it would take away fro m my beer money

:mebeer: :drunk: :beer:

Well, Travis, you're right, I too enjoy reading the success stories. They can be inspiring. But life is not always a bed of roses, and you should be prepared for setbacks. Even established businesses are susceptible to them. Case in point. And please, I'm not relating this story to get sympathy, but only to let you know that there is much, much more to running a business than skill, knowledge, desire, confidence, and pride in accomplishment. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm the one I'm talking about. I'm going out of business before it's too late. Last year, I suffered from an illness that put me out of work for 6 months. Financially, I was not prepared for this. A good business person would've been. My business was devastated. I was able to hold all but one of my clients by directing them to friendly competitors. I'm still not at 100%, but have found in the last few months that debt, taxes, etc. are taking more of my time than a one man shop can afford to give. And it's not getting better, but worse. The hand writing on the wall is becoming clearer and clearer. I'm going to sell my business, and go to work for the buyer.

I've always loved the trade I'm in. My business has now become something that is threatening that love, and I can't let that happen. I went into business 17 years ago for one reason only. I wanted to be the final authority. The gentleman that's going to buy my business (he doesn't know it yet) is a sticker guy for whom I already do quite a bit of work. I'll have much more autonomy working for him than I ever did with other employers, and I think it'll be a good trade off.

Obviously, I'm not trying to dissuade you from taking the plunge. You can't enjoy the water without getting your feet wet. I'm just letting you know my story in hopes that it may help in your decision making. To me, this failure is just another one of life's valuable lessons, and I'm not at all sad about it. Se La Vie.

Travis, best of luck in whatever you decide to do. :beer:

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

Joemomma I am truly sorry to know that this is happening to you.

I am a faily innocent person but I fully know that life is not made from a bed of roses. I can be the sort of person that is doing absolutely nothing but minding my own business and get into trouble(But thats another story for another time). The business decision has been made from several years ago. I guess I needed to get things right in my head before I actually made good progress towards that goal. At the very least I will be on my own by the age of 35 which is three years away. I am in the process of purchasing equipment to help lessen the start up cost that will strain my finances. I have to admit my wife is my biggest obsticle at this point. She is ok with the idea but she feels I have it to good with my current employer of ten years to do it. Which I do. The job, boss and people are great. I really have no need to go away from it. But since I was seventeen I knew exactly what my proffesion would be and that I would end my career with my own business.

I have only a few people to talk with that have this type of experience. Since I have been involved with these forums I have come to meet more folks with the experiences that I have had and plan to have. This is why I have asked for your stories. To sort of broaden my knowlege base of the task at hand.

So good or bad I want to hear or read the stories. I am sure I am not the only one.

TEastin

My story is too long to type it out - much less post it here in printed form for the "wolves" to see. But it involves a lot of back-stabbing by my (former) 4 closest friends and ex-wife. In a nut shell, sometimes you never know who you can trust when large amounts of money are involved. I'll tell it to you sometime on the phone if you are that interested and have an hour or so to spend on the call.

You know BOP that same thought was in the back of my head too as I was typing away. It's a little hesitint to give more details especially in here. I just stuck to a general broad issue.

Well obviously I have no idea what you two mean as I dont know the particulars of your situations. But with your posts I realize I may be asking to much within a public forum. I do appologize for basically crying about nobody wanting to share their stories as to sensative issues that dont belong here.

I dont know why this is such a big deal to me right now. I guess like my wife says once I get something in my head, its literally stuck in my head until I have exhausted it or myself. Kinda like pestering folks about neon processing technical info. :D

TEastin