ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Service Truck Question

Just a quick question. We are in the process of researching new service trucks. The majority of our needs are in the less than 45' range. We all know about the Elliotts and Wilkies. My question is, does anyone use an Altec or Versalift type rig? I know we want it to telescope as opposed to it being a regular knuckle boom. But for 60% of the cost of a decent used Elliott or Wilkie we can purchase a later model "Utility" type rig with a material handler.

Anyone know first hand of pros / cons of these units?
Do you use them? If so, are you happy?

Thanks!

• Board Patron

We have a Altec TA40 that we love. Get an articulating boom type that scopes out and you will be very happy.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

How deep are your pockets ? Do you want to be in the sign or a truck repair business ? Buying used trucks can make you or break you. Buy from a reputable, Authorized Bucket Truck Dealer Only. Make sure the bucket is Certified any has a warrantee.

The best choice is an articulating with extend boom. They are in the 40 to 50 ft range. A minimum 10 ft bed or compartment box. The truck is your choice. size and manufacturer, Gas or Diesel. I like smaller cab overs.

I consider Versa Lift the Mercedes Benz of buckets. I have 4 and never ever had problems. I know of 2 that are over 40 years old and still going. If it works, its great. otherwise it sucks. I do not like electric battery operated. Hydraulic PTO is the best way.

Service trucks are not cranes, don't lift and they will last forever. Do your home work on them before you buy.

Check your local regulations about Licenses before you buy anything.

Brian & Paul,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I know we definitely want the telescoping function of it. My pockets aren't six figures deep but I'm not looking for a $4500 truck off of Ebay either. We take great pride in the way our fleet looks. Altec is about an hour south of here, so thier proximity is a plus. Definitely looking at newer model used certified units, I'm just having a hard time finding the bed I want. Nowhere for lamps! Having them on an F550 is definitely a plus for the maneuvarability. Paul, it's good to hear you've had four and speak highly of them.

• Board Patron

Two man bucket helps if you come accross large faces in your area also plastic buckets suck over awnings. Something to keep in mind.

• Board Patron

I will also ad my two cents in. I have had quite a few. If i was to build my own it would be a 14' flat wood deck with 2x4" pockets around the perimeter for strapping and removable bed sides, boxes with rolling drawers mounted underneath the bed. alum tube basket and material handler. small generator/welder near headache rack and 10' lamp box. Since you are just looking to buy ones used I would find an f550 with 42' telecoping/knuckleboom with no outriggers and a large utlity body with plently of strorage. Transmission PTO

Carlton,

I'm with Elliott Equipment Company, and I quickly wanted to jump into the conversation to mention one of our newer models designed for sign companies working in that 45' range. Our M43 HiReach (shown at the ISA Show 2012) offers 48' of working height on a 19,500 lb GVWR Ford F550 or Dodge 5500 chassis.

Elliott M43 HiReach on Ford F550 19,500 lb GVWR

Here's a link to the product brochure - http://www.elliottequip.com/docs/default-document-library/m43r-spec-brochure.pdf

30x54" Steel Platform, 500 lb Capacity

500 lb Jib Winch

Telescopic Boom

Steel Bed and Crossbody Box

Cab Guard Walkway

Big advantage at Elliott, as most people here know, is that we do full customization for sign companies. Much more than the competition.

We have dealers in your area that have this model in stock, I'm certain they would be happy to give you a demo. Let me know if we can help.

Cheers,

David P.

Keith,

The M43R HiReach pictured in my post had the following weights upon completion.

5,480 lbs Front Axle

8,480 lbs Rear Axle

14,320 lbs Total

Truck is rated at 19,500 lbs (7kFA / 12.5k RA)

We run 2 Radocy Cranes, a King Crane, a Terex High Ranger Bucket and an Altec Bucket. We recently added an L60 Elliot which has rapidly become the unit of choice for both service and installation.

The Altec is a great unit, not so much with the High Ranger. We have decided that when the time comes we are going to replace the bucket trucks with the Elliot O43.

The last 3 units we bought were all used and they worked out fine (the Elliot, Altec and Terex).

All our units work everyday so scheduled maintenance is extremely important and is highly recommended no matter what you are running.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Altec TA40 that we love. Get an articulating boom type that scopes out and you will be very happy.

We use a smaller Altec 37ft on an F550. Little bit larger than typical cable-co or AT&T service truck. We can reach 80 percent of everything with this workhorse. Quick set up and decent gas mileage.

• Board Patron

We have a 42' Arm Lift mounted to a cab over Isuzu with full service body. The boom has a small knuckle for the lower section and the top section does telescope out. Been very Happy with the unit and it will do about 80% of the jobs we get. Great as a service type truck for us. This one replaced a 30' altec that ran from the side mounted generator. Miss having the generator but not the height limitation that we had.

post-5069-0-25420000-1369754904_thumb.jp

Edited by plyda

• Board Patron

this is the v60 maxed out almost

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

this is the v60 maxed out almost

post-2899-0-31567500-1369820886_thumb.jp

• Like 1

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• 2 months later...
  • !llumenati

As I said in the beginning...you have become the truck mechanic instead of the sign man. You're into this truck for $62,000 plus and its not stopping. The truck is 12 years old, the truck was built for the Utility Industries, not for the sign business. Heavy steel body and construction. Lots of fuel and headaches.

$ 62,000 would be a decent deposit on a brand new truck built specifically for you or the industry. Thats a lot of signs to sell.

• Board Patron

Try to pay some attention to the kind of basket the truck will have as this will limit your abilities. Basket can fill up quickly especially with a helper, tools, sign parts etc., but the work is "up there".

post-5149-0-55317700-1375124908.jpg

Here is what we wound up purchasing. Took delivery of it Thursday. So far, so good!

Hey Carlton, the black decals look great! Solid work. Glad we could help you out with this purchase.

• Board Patron

Cal you avoid that bulb mess in your bucket, I got my banner lady to make me an 18oz. bag x 6' to hold the lamps and a hook that hooks on anything rail.

• Like 1

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• !llumenati

Good luck with your new truck. Take off the "ELLIOT" and put your name there ! There is no better advertisment then your truck working everyday.

• Board Patron

i finally did mine and painted the auger truck, they both look pretty good now. I left the BIK on because they have been good to us

post-2899-0-24489400-1375139470_thumb.jp

Edited by Signworksinc

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

For God's sake, whatever you do, stay away from the Ford 6.0 diesel engine. I've put over $18,000 in repairs in mine. There is not a diesel mechanic in America that will tell you a positive thing about these dogs. Go on the internet and follow the lawsuits. You'll bleed serious money if you end up with one of these. If you can get a 7.3 you've found gold. I'd even go with a "gasser" before a 6.0. Honestly be very, very careful with this engine.

As I said in the beginning...you have become the truck mechanic instead of the sign man. You're into this truck for $62,000 plus and its not stopping. The truck is 12 years old, the truck was built for the Utility Industries, not for the sign business. Heavy steel body and construction. Lots of fuel and headaches.

$ 62,000 would be a decent deposit on a brand new truck built specifically for you or the industry. Thats a lot of signs to sell.

Your advice is spot on for a sign shop in New York City. Not so much in some of the other parts of the country. I bought a 1985 Ford F-8000 tandem axle a couple years ago that reaches 55' with an Altec boom with a material handler. It does the jobs my 42' F550 can't get to. It stays parked most days but for the $10,500 I paid for it, it is much better than to rent a snorkel from United Rentals or a truck crane. I've had the Elliot guy come by with the demo truck, and yes, it is very nice, but I paid 1/10th what he wanted for a truck with nearly the same capability.

Shockingly, some of us live in free America, not burdened by Tammany Hall legacy politics. If I were to operate my business as you in my hometown, I'd be priced out of the market in a week!

I am a BS Industrial Tech (IE light) I know how to run cost benefit analysis and have been paid to do so. Even with a juvenile payback analysis, buying a $150,000+ truck off the lot so you don't have to work on it so much is foolhardy. I've not only done the math, I've lived the life! The $10,500 truck has cost me 3 out of four outriggers to be repacked and a bunch of oil. At less that 10% cost of the Elliot, I'm doing just fine, downtime and repair labor included!

Before I get slammed with how much it cost to repair my truck, as many of us know, a small business is all about the cash flow. Repacking a cylinder here and there has not broke the bank. BTW, the pins for the outriggers get bent a tiny amount with use and will not drive out the hole. Whack the pin on either side of the cylinder with a Sawzall.

To the OP, since you are a fellow southerner, I'll speak in code. Altec is higher than a cat's back! I order all my parts from Utility Electric Service just South of Nashville. They are some good ole boys that will set you right up and you can speak normally. http://1ues.com/contact