ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Restaurant Gets The Green Light On Sign

Erik Sine

National Liquor Bar relic to go up in Vernon

By SCOTT WILLIAMS

swilliams@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Jan. 11, 2006

stincol080505.jpg

Waukesha - The distinctive neon sign from the defunct National Liquor Bar will flicker back to life in Waukesha County after all.

Despite neighborhood concerns about the 22-foot-tall sign, county officials agreed Wednesday to allow its display outside the renowned Heaven City Restaurant.

If neighbors are troubled by the flashing image of liquor pouring from a bottle into a shot glass, the county will reconsider and perhaps ask Heaven City operators to tone down the light bulbs or make other adjustments.

Neighbors had urged county officials to prohibit the display - with one comparing it to living in Las Vegas - and county planners initially quashed Heaven City's proposal for what was regarded as an art deco exhibition.

Although they stopped short of declaring the neon shot glass a work of art, members of the county Board of Adjustment conceded Wednesday that the piece of Milwaukee history is worth preserving. "It's an old, old sign that has some history behind it," board member Walter Tarmann said. Added board member Darryl Judson, "I don't think I'm qualified to decide what is art and what isn't art."

By a 4-0 vote, the board declared that the artifact is a sign that can be regulated, but that an exception should be granted that allows it to exceed current sign limitations. The decision clears the way for Heaven City landlord Ralph Hibbard to hoist the colorful sign outside the popular suburban restaurant, possibly as early as spring.

"We could argue about whether it's art," Hibbard said after Wednesday's decision. "I'm happy that I can put it up."

Hibbard acquired the sign for $12,500 after National Liquor Bar, 2601 W. National Ave., closed last summer and its memorabilia was auctioned off. The sign, which had become a popular fixture among visitors to the Milwaukee tavern, was one of the most sought-after items. Another collector bought it for $10,250 but later agreed to resell it to Hibbard.

Hibbard said he wanted to preserve the neon artifact in an artistic display outside the restaurant, which is on a suburban stretch of National Ave. - the same road where the National Liquor Bar operated. Both the defunct tavern and beloved restaurant began operation in the 1930s. Waukesha County planners initially rejected Hibbard's plan, arguing that the apparatus covered with more than 300 light bulbs was advertising - not art - and that it exceeded the county's limits for signs.

The tavern symbol is more than 10 times larger than the county's usual size limit on lighted signs of 20 square feet.

Neighbor Richard Koracin urged county officials Wednesday to prohibit the display permanently because he fears bright lights will disrupt the neighborhood.

"This is not a small sign - it's huge," Koracin said. "And once it's up, we have to look at it for the rest of our lives."

Another neighbor, John Kubacki, submitted a written objection, acknowledging that the artifact is "a very neat piece" but saying it would make the neighborhood feel like Las Vegas.

"If I wanted to have my yard lit up by a Vegas-type sign some 40 feet in the air," Kubacki wrote, "I would have built on the Las Vegas strip."

Restrictions apply

Under restrictions approved by the county, Hibbard must position the sign so that it shines away from nearby homes, and he must ensure that the neon lights are turned off by 10 p.m..

If the display still becomes a nuisance, the county will consider not only requesting dimmer light bulbs but also requiring additional screening or making part of the sign non-illuminated.

After Hibbard lodged an appeal of the county's original rejection, supporters rallied around the neon shot glass display. The Milwaukee Art Museum director said it represented "the classic definition of American folk art."

Officials in Vernon, where Heaven City is located, also had endorsed the display.

Town officials appeared alongside Hibbard at Wednesday's meeting and told county officials they wanted the sign as a way to boost Heaven City's business and draw visitors to the community.

Town Supervisor Glenn Fieber compared it with a group of cow statues that were allowed outside a Glendale custard stand last year after a similar debate about public art.

"This will be one of those destination art pieces," Fieber said of the tavern sign. "People will want to come and see."

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

"The tavern symbol is more than 10 times larger than the county's usual size limit on lighted signs of 20 square feet."

20 square feet? Waukesha must be the most boring county in the country.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

"The tavern symbol is more than 10 times larger than the county's usual size limit on lighted signs of 20 square feet."

20 square feet? Waukesha must be the most boring county in the country.

You caught that too, huh? I was thinking the same thing. Wonder what they would do if a major retail store (say a Wal-Mart Super Store) wanted to move in? Oh, but wait! I'm SURE they would get an exemption considering the amount of money they would be bringing to the area. :whistling:

You caught that too, huh? I was thinking the same thing. Wonder what they would do if a major retail store (say a Wal-Mart Super Store) wanted to move in? Oh, but wait! I'm SURE they would get an exemption considering the amount of money they would be bringing to the area. :whistling:

That has to be the only reason the allowed sign area is so low. Generally, to seek a variance for a larger sign than is allowed requires a non-refundable fee, which is usually exorbitant; $500 in my neck of the woods. This doesn't guarantee that your oversized sign will be allowed, but it does guarantee that you'll never see that $500 again. To Wal-Mart, or Home Depot, etc., this is a small price to pay. To a Mom and Pop store, the fee alone can be enough to keep them from seeking a variance. It's my guess that in a lot of cases other, more covert payments are made to secure a variance. Just another reason I totally disagree with zoning laws.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

That has to be the only reason the allowed sign area is so low. Generally, to seek a variance for a larger sign than is allowed requires a non-refundable fee, which is usually exorbitant; $500 in my neck of the woods. This doesn't guarantee that your oversized sign will be allowed, but it does guarantee that you'll never see that $500 again. To Wal-Mart, or Home Depot, etc., this is a small price to pay. To a Mom and Pop store, the fee alone can be enough to keep them from seeking a variance. It's my guess that in a lot of cases other, more covert payments are made to secure a variance. Just another reason I totally disagree with zoning laws.

What are you saying Joe? That you think there are times when city, county and state officials get "paid off" for allowing certain things? Gee, you just burst my little fantasy bubble of "Home Town America". I thought things like that only happened in movies... what a rude awakening. :nonono2:

Seriously, I never thought of it the way you put it. Decades ago when I actually did small installations that was really never an issue because it was before most of the zoning codes there are now. Your take on it falls right in to place with the way most government agencies (and many private ones) run though.