Neon Issues - Need Help
4 4

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys & Gals.

Posting a video sent from one of our members that need help in defining the issue.  Usually seen and requiring longer burn in, but any idea why it would happen over an extended time?

http://www.thesignsyndicate.com/forums/index.php?/videos/view-28-neon-issues/

Hopefully some of the Neon folks can chime in

Contaminants in tube.

1 person likes this

what color is it?  if it's a mercury-orange, then Gary is correct.  usually it's moisture--the electrode emitters can absorb a lot, but only so much.  I'm guessing the electrodes are burning very hot on this tube....

Garett

This looks like something I used to do for fun.  I was trying to make a clear argon/mercury tube 'sparkle and zap' just like this -  I took a tiny pinch of some very fine aluminum filings and dropped them in the tube before pumping.  While pumping it looked absolutely crazy.  After pumping, it looked just like this.  Burned really hot for a while, eventually sputtered and burned completely out.  

Based on that little experiment, I would speculate - just like the others above - some sort of contamination.  But my guess would be something with a metallic content - possibly some very fine airborne metal particles?

Good luck with it, and best regards.  Mike

Agree with Gary on dirty tube.   Could try burning in again but prob will have shorter life span.

Thanks everybody for chiming in, I think it helped

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4

• Similar Content

• By Erik Sine
      A video of a members Neon Issues
    • By Erik Sine
      Thought I'd post some pics of a project I recently put up for a group of owners I've been doing some signs for over 15 years, this is the latest project located here in San Diego in Pacific Beach California.

This job was supposed to be up last December, but as you can imagine things don't happen over night like they should in for this project in California and a good reason why business's leave California for other fruitful states in our grand union.

This project was no different and unlike other states.....here,anything built on the beach, you have to go through the California Coastal Commission.  This establishment won't be ready after much delay until almost a year later, and set to open this November possibly December.

This project was originally composed of a third sign, a 18' tall projecting sign which got denied in the permitting process.  Can't get them all in California I guess you can say.

So we're left to be happy with what THEY allow us to have.

Anyhow, this project is two 4' x 20' Electric wall sign cabinets, 1/8" alum walls and 3" deep open face channel letters spaced 1.5" from the cabinet background.  18mm Tri-Phosphor Voltarc Accent 30 border, and Voltarc 15mm Rare Earth Phosphor Sparkling Blue Letter outline lighting.  The owners wanted a halo lighting similar to a previous job so we used Our NC LED's Constant Current Green LED Modules for low light subtle Rear Letter Halo Lighting.

All Lighting Powered by Franceformer's for Neon, and our Union Elecom for the driving the NC Green Constant Current LED's

A big thank you to Joe Walsh of Voltarc for helping us get what was needed for this job, the Neon is Brilliant and of course stands out over the beach night city scape.  This Beach won't be needing a light house for lost fisherman after all now thanks to Voltarc!

There aren't very many Neon signs on this coast that I know of, in fact....I can't think of any so these signs are a real beacon.  They must be because the owners asked me if after installation and first lighting if I could hook up a dimmer......" a wut??!?!"

Early assembly shots

Tranny trays

And a shot of our LED Wall Pass Thru System

A solo illumination shot of our Green Constant Current NC LED Modules, using just a single stroke for a light subtle offering.

Wall Pattern Day.  If you're going to do a sign project on a hot summer day you might as well be RIGHT on the beach.  All that project stress went away sitting on the scaffolding listening to the seagulls, the crashing of waves, and smell of sea spray.  I won't lie, I wanted to just bust out a hammock and go to sleep.

Yes, I was working in Van's....I'm in SoCal, so that's all you need to know!

Westrim Products Graphed Pattern Paper!

• By Erik Sine
      I won't go into details but I just want to say, and give a big Thank you to Voltrac, namely Joe Walsh.  I deal with reps on a daily basis and vendors all the time.  Thank you Joe @Voltarc for taking care of us.  Glad you're still in the Neon Industry, and it can't be a surprise you're one of the few left to serve the needs of it.

We appreciate you being there!
    • By Pfat65
      We are looking for an experienced glass bender who can also work in other departments in the sign trade. Can you also work with vinyl? Sign service? Installation? If so, we want YOU! We are a major sign company in Maine and we're growing! Pay is negotiable with experience. Must be able to pass a blood test. Contact us today! Please send resume to: patrick@neokraft.com. Thank you for looking!
    • By Erik Sine
      This is an awesome video show on CBS This Morning, this morning on Neon.  Even better to see some Sign Syndicate members taking part in the Video Segment!