ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Gary's new gig

Brian

• Board Patron

Hey Gary tell us about this new gig you have. I'm sure everyone would be interested

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

Hey Gary tell us about this new gig you have. I'm sure everyone would be interested

Which Gary? And are you speaking of my new career as a male stripper? And pics??

• Board Patron

If that's the case please spare us......

I hope your wife has a good income cause' your going to starve on your male stripper income!!!!!! LOL

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

Yeah..... I'd have to agree.

Oh come on!! Give a guy a break !!

Now that I have a couple minutes - I'll explain. Seriously, no one would hire me as a male stripper - said I didn't have enough experience, but that was the only issue! Not the others that some are suggesting!

As some of you know, after a lifetime in the business - and a recent couple years at ICON who decided to layoff people - I was out of the link for a time. Manuel, of the Axiom Corp fame, offered me the opportunity to rep his line of products for however long I wanted. For that, I'm extremely grateful that he was in a position to step up and help me. In late October, I was, ironically, offered a couple jobs. One, that I accepted, was the postion of Vice President of Estimating, South Water Signs, Elmhurst, Illinois -------- which immediately revolved into about 8 different hats (positions). Its a decent size company that is intent on growing, has some of the pieces in place, but as anyone with experienced in business, there alot of "issues" that a company must overcome to actually grow and start to play with the big boys. That is where we are at ----------- and its fun. I've been put in the postion of making decisions on major machine purchases, and involved inchanging/overhauling processes that affect production, and P/L statements. At times its been quite humorous as when the shop saw me come in with work clothes, actually brought my own tools, and proceeded to wire a 24' tall sign ----------- and they figured out that the old, front office guy, actually knew something about signs. That was a turning point in some areas. Now they look to me as someone they can actually make comments to ------- that knows what they are talking about ------- like scheduling, like not having information, short time frames, etc. The shop manager that I work with is great --- he knows his job, is extremely talented ---------- and he knows that I will NEVER take his job !! Nope, I don't babysit very well!!!!!!! And I don't do diapers either. I get to work with project managers and attempt toget them to understand that their decisions, or lack thereof, make a huge impace on the back shop. And we're working with that. I get to work closely with the President of the company, Tom Merkel, is a great person to work with. He's a hands on type of guy, who welcomes input -------- even from old farts---------and doesn't assume that "it's his way or thehighway". We're growing -------- and having fun.

In summary --- great company that's growing. We've got some large projects on the horizon, alot of happy clients, I've been able to use some of my contacts to put us in touch with larger companies that need help in the Chicago area on their stuff, and continually strive to bring in products like Axiom, Ventex, Marco at YYZ, and others on this board that have quality stuff for the industry. Kinda funny ---- happened to call a company last week about extrusions. After we're done talking - he says, "you know, your' company names doesn't ring a bell - but your name does." After dwelling on that - he came to realzie that it was from this board, that he also monitors. I'll keep plugging along with my new company, and this board to work with Eric in striving to raise the bar for signage, and protect our industry from the hackers, and wannabes that only think of the industry as a "fast way to make a buck".

In case anyone wants to get hold of me at my new company --- please email me or message me for my current number.

Gary Nutting

Vice President of Estimating

South Water Signs

Guest Signtiffic

Good for you Garry! I'm sincerely glad things are going as they are. Also, thanks for sharring.

As for the challenges of what you and South Water are experiencing......

I'm very happy to hear that it's taking place in an environment where the leadership understands complacency won't help you compete with the big boys. Sometimes that’s the biggest challenge when it comes to growing pains.

I've had similar experience when it comes to front office and shop relations. Most are supprised to learn I can fabricate, paint, install, etc. in addition to being able to be an owners represenitive, project manage, and estimate. (Among other things....but I too am not qualified as a male stripper.)

Not that someone with your experience already doesn't know this....but rather for the benefit of the other board members....... Engagement from team members and the encouragement to do so will always yeild more productive results than "my way opr the highway".

Again, good for you! Glad it's working out.

Now you know Kgirl would be at the front row to line your thing up with 5's and 10's!

Good to hear about your new job Gary, you're a great asset to have!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill